Thread: One rocker won't prime??? -TIII

turbo addict

One rocker won't prime??? -TIII

I was able to prime the oil system on the engine today, only to find out that one rocker has no oil flowing from the hole in the end. I figured I might have put the lifter disk in backwards, so I took it out and made sure it was installed right. While it was out I made sure there was nothing in the oil line in the rocker. When reinstalling it I also made sure to put the offending rocker in a different position on the rocker shaft. I did rotate the cam several times priming the system to 60 psi to make sure I would catch the position where the hole in the shaft is lined up directly with the hole in the rocker. Still no dice. The other 15 rockers worked out great, only this one is giving me issues. There is a very small amount of oil that leaks around the body of the lifter and onto the valve spring retainer. It's tough to tell if the others are doing that as well since they have a good amount of oil coming from the hole in the end. Anyone have an idea as to what's going on?
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Re: One rocker won't prime??? -TIII

Can you blow air thru the rocker arm hole? if so, maybe you have a bad lifter?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

It could be the lifter, maybe. I would still expect to see oil come though that passage and out the end, regardless of what shape the lifter is in. I had used a long allen wrench to go through the passage to verify it wasn't clogged. Unfortunately I don't have any compressed air in my garage.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

The shaft may be in upside down?? Or,did you have any welding done on the face of the head? My Ex oil galley got welded shut when some welding was done on the galley plugs

Uh, just read the post a little closer, it's only a single rocker with trouble, nevermind

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

boostaholic

^ Dont worry,I didnt tell him to weld his oil passage shut

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lotashelbys View Post
    ^ Dont worry,I didnt tell him to weld his oil passage shut
    No worries, while the Rampage was down, I couldn't pass up a deal on a S70 turbo for it so when that head does come off again it'll get some more upgrades

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL