Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: So, you want a 2.4 in your car.... here's some info.

Re: So, you want a 2.4 in your car.... here's some info.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank
    Converting a 568 to a hydraulic is cake. I will be doing that on my 2.4L shadow. Of course its a race setup, so the 2pedal wilwood setup is going in with the actuator attached to the case with a small lever arm and a heim joint to pivit the fork for the clutch.

Frank
    Well you are making my day! I love the 5-speed but driving around in traffic here is really tiring! After driving Mike's SRT4 ACR I realized what I was missing all along! The Hydraulic clutch is great! (you can even have a REALLY stiff PP and you hardly feel it!) Pass me some details, I didnt know such conversion existed! (although I certainly figured it was possible!) Hell I can even check it out in person.

Do you guys still have shop down there that could swap a motor in when I am ready to do that? I dont even have a driveway so I have to park on the street. I sold my engine lift and stand a few weeks ago. I cant have a car on stands overnight etc so I just cant do those kinds of things.

I just looked up wilwoods stuff. I wish I had known that existed before. With there kit it'll be easy! Well hell, a stock srt4 motor with a 568/hydraulic clutch is the way to go then!!

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Darkapollo's Avatar

Im going to pick up a complete 2.4 on sunday for $65! woot.

Ill do a write up on how to do the install into a 91 P-Body since there doesnt seem to be a good step-by-step..
    Look for it in aug!
    Last edited by Darkapollo; 07-14-2006 at 07:58 PM.

does the non-turbo pt-cruiser engine have the same head and block as the srt-4? I want to build up a srt-4 engine and found some N/A pt-cruiser engines for cheap. I was going to go with a 95-99 stratus block but would rather have an srt-4 block because of the oil-squirters, better coolant flow, and better flowing head

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by r00tcause
    Well you are making my day! I love the 5-speed but driving around in traffic here is really tiring! After driving Mike's SRT4 ACR I realized what I was missing all along! The Hydraulic clutch is great! (you can even have a REALLY stiff PP and you hardly feel it!) Pass me some details, I didnt know such conversion existed! (although I certainly figured it was possible!) Hell I can even check it out in person.

Do you guys still have shop down there that could swap a motor in when I am ready to do that? I dont even have a driveway so I have to park on the street. I sold my engine lift and stand a few weeks ago. I cant have a car on stands overnight etc so I just cant do those kinds of things.
    My dad sold his shop a few years ago. Squirrel has a real shop still up in Owings, MD. I just have a garage with ALL the need tools, lift, stands, hoist.

I havent built the brake setup yet, but I will.
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

$65 VERY well spent. Picked up a 2.4 with 35k miles on it! Look for pictures later tonight or tomorrow, so far I have the cam cover off and it isnt even OIL STAINED! We did have a little mishap when pulling it and I now need a new oilfilter mounting cover thinggy.

Im not sure on the year but it does not have plastic intake runners, they are aluminum. It has to be pre-01 because nothing past 2000 will be in the lot unless it is totally stripped for parts.

I am just really confused as to how this thing mounts up since it has a mount on the front and back and nothing on the side. Oh well I guess Ill have to fab up something.

turbo addict

look here, as long as its a 95-99 then you need this stratus mount
    http://www.turbododge.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=114648

cool. that is what I figured I would have to do, but I wasnt 100%.
    BTW, I have Pikturs!!

So after reading these 4 pages am I understanding that I can use an SRT engine? I know the some of the Neon guys shun them because of the crank trigger setup. I could either go standalone or dist off the camshaft and use old school computer cal correct?

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Speeduphoria wrote an awesome article for the KC!!! Go here!
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vb...e&articleid=47

Frank
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

Great article Speeduphoria . I learned a few things

Ok just as another FYI, ive heard that when swapping an SRT-4 engine using the SRT intake manifold the throttle body will interfere with the transmission. This may be with autos only though.

I can confirm however that it does not interfere with an A-520, I just got done mating mine up and it doesnt seem like there will be an issue. I did have to take the throttle body off to mate the trans but then once they were together I was able to put it back on easily.

Also with an SRT-4 to A-520 two bolt holes on the trans dont line up and one bolt hole on the engine doesnt line up. I have an idea for a simple bracket that should work really well though, ill get some pics tomorrow.

Some more info on passenger side engine mounting here (thanks to ohiorob) --> http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=18097

Mitsu booster

ok, so, i have an srt4 2.4 engine trans, intake and exhaust, with the ecu and working on geting a harness. i have the adapter to stick this engine in a neon but will it work in my 88 shadow?? The shadow has a blown engine, popped a head gasket and previous owner drove it till it quit. what am i goin to have to buy to get this in the car??? can i use an automatic behind it too?? automatics are under constant boost under acceleration, no boost loss. interior wise i'd have to get the manual console, and cables for the t850, i have a shifter. or would it be better just to put another 2.2 8v engine back in the car????

Hybrid booster

my friend has a 1997 dodge stratus with the 2.4 dohc, his dad wants the car towed away to the junk yard, hmm to make the dohc swap or not

Garrett booster

I am working on build mounts that can make it easy to install the 2.4 in the l-bodies www.srt4omni.com this is all rough draft thrown up quick website. I am to date waiting on the machinest to get the parts cut out so i can weld them up. If interested look for my thread on here i am going to start so i can get feedback good or bad is very needed.. it will have the front mount, left engine mount, bobble strut mount keeping the rod shifter, nd the a555 2 piece carrier bearing bracket.

go to here to comment on my mounting system or ask questions nd i will answer sorta fast.. lol
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...259#post852259

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234