Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So, you want a 2.4 in your car.... here's some info.

So, you want a 2.4 in your car.... here's some info.

So, you looked at the Hybrid swap, but don't want to do all the fabrication to put a 16V head on a 8V block. It looks like swapping the entire 16V 2.4 would be easier, right? Well... Maybe. Maybe not.

16V non-srt motors.

The 16V block 1997 to 2001 doesn't have a lot of changes. Nice and strong. But, there are some changes you will need to make to it.

The main bearings
    will have to be changed. The stock 2.4 NA bearings can't stand up to the punishment. You'll need SRT bearings. MAIN BEARING 5012582AA $6.90 (4 REQUIRED)

Rods and pistons:
    SRT4 rods and pistons and bearings are cheap and you can get the Rings as well. ROD BREARING 5093448AB $5.40 (4 REQUIRED),PISTON/ROD ASSEMBLY 4884247AD $49.78 (4 REQUIRED),RING SET 5093441AA $19.44 (1 REQUIRED)
    Or, you can use a T2 rod form a 2.5L 1989+ Turbo dodge and a custom forged piston. With stock Clevite 77 bearings.

Water and oil pump?
    Well, there are people out there running the NA oil and water pump with no issues at all. But, you can choose to upgrade. If you do you'll need a SRT oil pump, water pump, hydraulic tensioner and other odds and ends. Want them? Here they are:

Tensionser: 4781570AB
    - bolt: 6101763
    - bolt: 6506019AA
    Water Pump:4884159AA
    - bolt: 6503255 (x 4)
    Idler Pulley: 04781569AB
    Oil Pump Pickup/Screen: 4792304AC
    Oil Pan: 4777991AA
    Oil Pump: 4777955AA
    Oil Pan Gasket: 4777994AA
    Oil Filter Connector: 4777998AA
    Oil Filter Connector Gasket: 4884000AA
    Oil Filter Connector Screw: 6102041AA (x 3)
    Front Seal (for oil pump): 4667198

The tensioner upgrade package part number for the PT is 5114069AA. It includes the tensioner, both covers, and some screws. It will make it so you have the plastic covers that cover and protect the timing belt. Cost from Fenton dodge is $127

4884159AA $46.15 SRT4 Water pump
    5114072AA $113.30 Complete Tensioner upgrade

The head? Well, the head should be specific to your block, although all DOHC heads from 1997 to 1999 should be basically the same.

The mounts For the passengers side you'll need a special adapter bracket made to place the 2.4 in the 2.0 neon engien compartment. It is made by toomanyneons on www.neons.org. They are $78 Paypal shipped bwsemail@gmail.com See them here http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t=169980/
    The drivers side depends on the tranny. Currently you can use a TD 413 mount on the neon 413 based tranny as I understand it. The 5 speed neon NVT tranny mount is a work in progress, I'll update when I know more. As is the front motor mount.

Intake Manifolds You can use just about any stock 2.0 or 2.4 intake manifold. My suggestion, Lonewolf Performance.

Transmissions Yes, you can install the cable operated NVT350 1995-1999 neon 5 speed in either 3.55 FD or 3.94 FD. Yes, you can install a TD 520,523,555,568 tranny with some modification. Yes, you can install a srt4 tranny, but you also have to install a hydraulic clutch system.

Axles Stock large splined axles should do to begin with.

Engine management Your choice.

That's all for now folks! ~~Heath

turbo addict

Re: So, you want a 2.4 in your car.... here's some info.

Great information!

Quote Originally Posted by TurbododgePirate
    Rods and pistons: SRT4 rods and pistons and bearings are cheap and you can get the Rings as well. ROD BREARING 5093448AB $5.40 (4 REQUIRED),PISTON/ROD ASSEMBLY 4884247AD $49.78 (4 REQUIRED),RING SET 5093441AA $19.44 (1 REQUIRED)
    Or, you can use a T2 rod form a 2.5L 1989+ Turbo dodge and a custom forged piston. With stock Clevite 77 bearings.
    Do the rods have to be 1989 and up? What about 1987 and up turbo 2 rods? I thought the turbo rods were all the same after 1986.
    Kevin Isenberg EVERYTHING is for sale!

Hybrid booster

Does the early 2.4 head bolt up to a newer (05) block? I have a 97 head here in the garage, and just scored a 8k mile 2.4 short block that needs bearings. If the head would bolt up it save me some time and cash.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS592
    Great information!

Do the rods have to be 1989 and up? What about 1987 and up turbo 2 rods? I thought the turbo rods were all the same after 1986.
    Turbo 2 rods or 1989 and up.

Quote Originally Posted by altered7151
    Does the early 2.4 head bolt up to a newer (05) block? I have a 97 head here in the garage, and just scored a 8k mile 2.4 short block that needs bearings. If the head would bolt up it save me some time and cash.
    Bolt up yes, but there are issues when it comes to the oiling passages. The 05 block has a change, not 100% of what it is right now. Plus the exhaust passages are different. Get a newer head 2001+

Garrett booster

I smell a sticky coming in this thread's future!

Hybrid booster

Bolt up yes, but there are issues when it comes to the oiling passages. The 05 block has a change, not 100% of what it is right now. Plus the exhaust passages are different. Get a newer head 2001+
    Aye Aye captain! Guess I'll keep an eye out for a later model head.

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Actually this will be a good FAQ. However lets give it a week for more to come!
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

turbo addict

Also, you discussed motor mount options in a Neon. Can somebody explain the mounts needed for a K-based or L-based swap with a 520/555/523/568? I've heard conflicting stories.

Also, you discussed motor mount options in a Neon. Can somebody explain the mounts needed for a K-based or L-based swap with a 520/555/523/568? I've heard conflicting stories.

Sure. To my knowledge the $75 adapter is the one we need to fit the motor in a K based, or L body car. Just like a neon. I have yet to determine wether you use a Stratus mount, or a neon mount. I have heard both. I also understand that you STILL need to space the mount over a bit.

If using a 520/555/523/568, I would assume you could use the stock mount. But I'll let someone who knows answer that if they can. ~~Heath

turbo addict

Sure. To my knowledge the $75 adapter is the one we need to fit the motor in a K based, or L body car. Just like a neon. I have yet to determine wether you use a Stratus mount, or a neon mount. I have heard both. I also understand that you STILL need to space the mount over a bit.

If using a 520/555/523/568, I would assume you could use the stock mount. But I'll let someone who knows answer that if they can. ~~Heath
    When using a 520/555/523/568, I'm assuming you can use the factory bobble strut and driver's side motor mount. I'd think a front mount could be fabbed up from the 2.4 (motor side) and 2.2 (body side) mounts. Am I thinking right?

I'll go check out the adapter you linked us to. I might have a few questions after that.

Turbododgepirate wroteth:
    To my knowledge the $75 adapter is the one we need to fit the motor in a K based, or L body car. Just like a neon. I have yet to determine wether you use a Stratus mount, or a neon mount
    That adapter is to be used with the Stratus mount. That is when it is done in a Neon. The even cheaper option is to get a piece of steel 4"x8"x1/4" and bend a 90* 3/4" lip on the short side.Drill all needed holes and Voila'! $2 adapter!

Altered wrote:
    Aye Aye captain! Guess I'll keep an eye out for a later model head.
    All the 2.0 and 2.4 DOHC heads have the same bolt pattern and will interchange some with mods though.

Here is the general rule of thumb for 2.4 litres:

Pre-2001 heads will bolt up to a pre-2001 block with no issue.

Use of a 2002+ head on a pre-2001 block will require either welding and red-drilling of front oil drain on the cylinder head. OR installing of freeze plugs to the head and block on the front drain to eliminate the passage. A diesel shop will have them. Early Cummins turbo freeze plugs for the head I THINK.

Try to stick with 2.4l heads since they have equal head bolt lengths and do not have the shorter outer "four" as seen on the 2.0 DOHC heads-Edit-its the block that causes the need for shorter bolts, not the head-there identical

I have done all of these and have had no ill effects due to the eliminated oil drain.

I am sure I will edit and add to this. But, it is almost a hi-jack and we might need to start another thread on head modifications.

Daveb.
    Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 08-26-2007 at 01:35 PM.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by David Bohrer
    Turbododgepirate wroteth:

That adapter is to be used with the Stratus mount. That is when it is done in a Neon. The even cheaper option is to get a piece of steel 4"x8"x1/4" and bend a 90* 3/4" lip on the short side.Drill all needed holes and Voila'! $2 adapter!

Altered wrote:

All the 2.0 and 2.4 DOHC heads have the same bolt pattern and will interchange some with mods though.

Here is the general rule of thumb for 2.4 litres:

Pre-2001 heads will bolt up to a pre-2001 block with no issue.

Use of a 2002+ head on a pre-2001 block will require either welding and red-drilling of front oil drain on the cylinder head. OR installing of freeze plugs to the head and block on the front drain to eliminate the passage. A diesel shop will have them. Early Cummins turbo freeze plugs for the head I THINK.

Try to stick with 2.4l heads since they have equal head bolt lengths and do not have the shorter outer "four" as seen on the 2.0 DOHC heads-Edit-its the block that causes the need for shorter bolts, not the head-there identical

I have done all of these and have had no ill effects due to the eliminated oil drain.

I am sure I will edit and add to this. But, it is almost a hi-jack and we might need to start another thread on head modifications.

Daveb.

I think your title should be changed to "Resident 420A Expert" So what of a pre 2001 head on a +2001 block? Same oil passage concern as the late head on early block?
    Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 08-26-2007 at 01:36 PM.

altered wrote:
    I think your title should be changed to "Resident 420A Expert" So what of a pre 2001 head on a +2001 block? Same oil passage concern as the late head on early block?

LOL! I was wondering if it could be changed since I am technically a "Holset" booster . But, that is another thread.....

As for your question I THINK you mean't 2002+ block and a pre 2001 head. And yes you would still have the problem just in reverse hole offset.

Hybrid booster

altered wrote:

LOL! I was wondering if it could be changed since I am technically a "Holset" booster . But, that is another thread.....

As for your question I THINK you mean't 2002+ block and a pre 2001 head. And yes you would still have the problem just in reverse hole offset.
    Yeah thats what I meant, ok, thats what I figured that it would be the same problem, just reversed.
    So since you have quite a bit of experience with them, do you feel the 2002+ blocks are worth the extra money. I know the earlier 2.4's are starting to pop up in j-yards now and can be had for pretty cheap, whereas the 2002+ are still harder to find and thus cost a little more coin. I know the heads are supposed to flow better and the blocks have some advantages, but can the older blocks and heads over come them?

The block is able to take massive power whether it be an old style or a new style. The best one is the SRT or PT turbo block since they have the factory turbo drain back and oil sprayers for the pistons. Two easy to overcome obsticals but, to each their own.

The heads get a little more involved.

2.0/2.4 N/A are next in the food chain until...

PT N/A Head that has NO EGR is the next best circa @ 2002 mid year. Lower exhaust port floor = better flow

PT turbo head is better yet since it has better exhaust valves and no EGR(technically). This can be found CHEAP and are nearly as good as...

SRT turbo head . The best flowing stock head you can get! BUT, to use an old style intake mani (non-SRT) you must add metal and create bolt holes in the intake side of the head so that you have enough clampage. Even then you must drill out two extra holes in the intake manifold flange so that it can seal properly.

This is my personal opinion and is based off experience, dyno time and flow #'s of all the motor combo's that I have had or have built for people and then tuned.

In my stuff somewhere is flow # comparisions between them all but, you could head over to the neons.org and drown in that sea of miss-information to find it.

Dave B.
    Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 08-26-2007 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Fixed head interchange.

Hybrid booster

The block is able to take massive power whether it be an old style or a new style. The best one is the SRT or PT turbo block since they have the factory turbo drain back and oil sprayers for the pistons. Two easy to overcome obsticals but, to each their own.

The heads get a little more involved.

2.0/2.4 N/A are next in the food chain until...

PT N/A Head that has NO EGR is the next best circa @ 2002 mid year. Lower exhaust port floor = better flow

PT turbo head is better yet since it has better exhaust valves and no EGR(technically). This can be found CHEAP and are nearly as good as...

SRT turbo head . The best flowing stock head you can get! BUT, to use an old style intake mani (non-SRT) you must add metal and create bolt holes in the intake side of the head so that you have enough clampage. Even then you must drill out two extra holes in the intake manifold flange so that it can seal properly.

This is my personal opinion and is based off experience, dyno time and flow #'s of all the motor combo's that I have had or have built for people and then tuned.

In my stuff somewhere is flow # comparisions between them all but, you could head over to the neons.org and drown in that sea of miss-information to find it.

Dave B.
    Awesome, thanks Dave, you're the man. I have been trying to wade through the stuff at neons.org, but like you stated it seems to be alot of contridicting info with people arguing back and forth. I'd much rather hear it from someone who has some actual track time with the parts. BTW, keep up the good work on your car, I lurk at both honda-tech.com and neons.org so have been following your work, good stuff!
    Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 08-26-2007 at 01:37 PM.

If you use a 568/etc then you will need to creat an "l bracket" to bolt it to the block because one of the bolts does not line up with the 2.4 As far as mounting it to your car, it would mount like normal. Stock trans mout and bobble strut.

Also, some forget this so I will mention. If you use a 2.4 N/A block you will have to drill an oil return hole for the turbo and you will need to add an oil distribution block. (you can grab one from a td and add it to the backside of the block where there is an oil port)

Wow, David Really know his stuff! Thanks for the additions. If this becomes a sticky in the future, do you mind me copying the info?

Thanks everybody for helping fill in the gaps. Hopefully someday soon I'll be able to make a larger more complete post as a permanent sticky. Well.... that and have a running 2.4L car.

Guys I must recant something i said. The 2.0 DOHC and the 2.4 DOHC heads are identical!!!!!! The perimiter four BOLTS are shorter because of the block's construction!

I will manually edit my post.

My apologies for the shortsight.

It won't let me edit!!!!! Bah.

Seven posts to my name and I just branded my self an idiot.

Dave B.

Fixed for you,
    Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 08-26-2007 at 01:38 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast