Thread: Vehicle will not talk to scan tools.

boostaholic

Vehicle will not talk to scan tools.

Strange problem.

my 89 GTS will not talk to our Snap-On "brick" or our Genisys scantools. I'm not sure what to check for, but I know that the pin for power is there because the "Brick" will only turn on if there is power going to that one pin. Ground is a seperate circuit on the tool with an alligator clip that goes to the battery.

What can I do here? I'm having serious issues and I could reeeeeeeally use the help of seeing what the sensors are seeing.

boostaholic

Re: Vehicle will not talk to scan tools.

Check for ALL pwr + grds at the ECU. Doesn't take much resistance in these circuits to cause problems. Check this site out for ECU pinout; http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/ecu/index.html

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Which snappy? I have the new modus and all I do is plug in the scanner, no seperate power or grounds and actually, ditto with the older MT2500 I had and my OTC4000E.

I know on mine, it asks me what computer I have, if I pick the wrong one, I get a blank screen and have to try again.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic

Whoooooa you bought the new Modus, simon? Sweeeet. Those ain't cheap!

The Snap-On one I was using was called "the brick" because that's what it looks like. I think they came out in the early 90's and are still used today in some shops due to their OBD2 capabilities.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big_P View Post
    Whoooooa you bought the new Modus, simon? Sweeeet. Those ain't cheap!

The Snap-On one I was using was called "the brick" because that's what it looks like. I think they came out in the early 90's and are still used today in some shops due to their OBD2 capabilities.
    I had to, the old brick scanner, aka the MT2500 won't work on newer vehicles, which I need to service.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info