Thread: daytona springs/struts in a shadow?

daytona springs/struts in a shadow?

Since I don't have them here to directly compare I'm wondering if the struts and springs from a daytona or minivan will fit on a shadow. The reason being is that I'm building a car for ice racing (the shadow) and will need to stiffen the outer struts/springs to help keep the car from leaning over so much in the corners. I already plan on shimming the sway bar and I have a heavy duty one from a 88 Z but I didn't pull the struts when I parted the Z. I've seen people use different spacers in the springs but I'd like to stay away from that if at all possible.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: daytona springs/struts in a shadow?

Dytona and shadow struts are the same, springs in a Dytona should be stiffer. Minivan struts are longer will ift a Dytona or Sadow.

Are you looking to lift it or lower it or just make it stiff?

For stiffness in cornering you can also go PU bar bushings and strap or weld a plate across the twist beam axle (read: box the U-channel) in the rear.

If the track is not smooth/flat and you want more wheel travel, get a softer bar (to free up the wheel articulation) and stiffer springs like the MP roadrace (-1" height) or rally race (+1" height) springs.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

I run 87 shelby Z springs on my 88 shadow ES. Lowered it by a inch, and stiffened it up.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

You can run Mini springs in Daytona struts, that will stiffen it up nicely.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

The car will be used for racing on a 1/4 mile oval on the ice with studded tires. Studs consist of about 1000 screws screwed head to head from the inside of the tire out. The car will stick to the ice like glue. No problems taking the corners at 40+mph. I'm mainly looking to keep the body roll to a minimum and keep both front tires on the ice. May need to look for a van or daytona spring to put on the passengers side. Dropping the car couldn't hurt although if it gets in the snow bank it may be harder to get out. The track should be fairly smooth other than being chewed up by the cars throughout the race.

The van springs are longer and higher spring rate so that should work quite nicely,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

We'll see what I can find at the yard this weekend. Maybe I'll pick up a daytona and mini unit if the price is right. Do you think the rear spring would swap from a daytona also? definitely have to install a front and rear strut bars to stiffen things up.

yeah, all G-body springs will fit on a P

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by bfarroo View Post
    We'll see what I can find at the yard this weekend. Maybe I'll pick up a daytona and mini unit if the price is right. Do you think the rear spring would swap from a daytona also? definitely have to install a front and rear strut bars to stiffen things up.
    Minivan no, we have leaf springs back there.

Yeah those won't work right

Quote Originally Posted by bfarroo View Post
    Yeah those won't work right
    Sure they could, can you weld?

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Anyone know what the difference between Daytona Shelby Z, CSX and Shelby Lancer springs? I've been wanting to lower both the Shelby Z and the Shadow a little bit. Sounds like putting the Z springs on the Shadow would drop it some. I also have a set of CSX and a set of SL springs. Any difference between these and and my Z springs and any thoughts on which set would be better on my Daytona? Thanks, David

SL springs are pretty low. I have several spare sets of stock springs and rate measurement sis on the 'to do' list.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    SL springs are pretty low. I have several spare sets of stock springs and rate measurement sis on the 'to do' list.
    Thanks, I think that I will put the Z springs on the Shadow and then decide between the SL and the 89 CSX springs for my Daytona.