Thread: Flywheel Shim

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Flywheel Shim

Hi,

I just got my FW back from my machinist and he had to take .050 off of it to get it smooth. So now I need a Shim and have not had any luck at the local parts store. I was going to try the dealership but the closest one is like 20-30 mins away. So I guess my question is where can I get one online? Or does any dealers offer online service for parts?

Thanks

turbo addict

Re: Flywheel Shim

I didn't need a shim when my flywheel was resurfaced.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

You should not need a shim because the pressure plate bolts to the surface that was machined. Even though that surface was cut .050" the distance between the pressure plate clamping surface and flywheel surface remain the same.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    You should not need a shim because the pressure plate bolts to the surface that was machined. Even though that surface was cut .050" the distance between the pressure plate clamping surface and flywheel surface remain the same.
    Ok I think I understand. I'm just a little confused, why would you be able to buy the shim and what is its purpose? Thanks for the help as I hope I don't need one cause thats just more $$ going towards non-performance stuff.

Thanks again

Some clutches for other cars have to be shimmed. Not the 2.2L / 2.5L TM's tho

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

The reason you need a shim is because removing .050", moves the pressure plate that much away from the throw out bearing. I have worked on alot of cars where this will create an issue with clutch release problems where no matter what you do, the clutch can't be released enough to avoid gear clash. Not sure if that is the case on TM's though. You can get shims at most tranny shops are tranny parts suppliers.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

That is a possibility with any stick car but not sure how much you'd have to take off to have to shim the flywheel off the crank surface. I have flywheels in my core pile that are 0100" different than each other.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

That is a possibility with any stick car but not sure how much you'd have to take off to have to shim the flywheel off the crank surface. I have flywheels in my core pile that are 0100" different than each other.
    It depends, I've had some cars where I've had the flywheel machined .020" and the clutch won't release after. Tried different clutches, etc, a shim fixed it,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

What kind of cars? not TMs right?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

turbo addict

Shouldn't the clutch cable adjust for it anyways? Otherwise why is there an auto adjuster at the back of the pedal.

What kind of cars? not TMs right?
    So far, not TM's but .050" is alot of meat.

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Shouldn't the clutch cable adjust for it anyways? Otherwise why is there an auto adjuster at the back of the pedal.
    You would think but some cars don't like it, can't explain it,