Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coil over spring rate help!!!!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Coil over spring rate help!!!!

I put some coil overs on the van, the Eibach spring part number is 1200.250.0300 so that means there 12 inches long, inside diameter of 2.5" and spring rate of 300. Now there very stiff, so stiff that the front end barely moves and will literally bounce a bit going down the freeway. I called Eibach, and he said its a crap shoot on what spring rate to get so I need some help. Would 200 be too soft??????? help!
    Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 11-05-2007 at 03:53 AM.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Re: Coil over spring rate help!!!!

Give more info on your suspension setup. Like dampers used. If konis, what adjustments have you tried. Are you running a helper spring?

Kinda surprised 300 would be too stiff considering this is a minivan. If you called eibach, I'm assuming you are using their ERS springs. Those springs use to come in 25 increments. Not sure nowadays.

Considering the highest spring rate springs for sedans is upwards of 300 on a progressive spring. I'd say 300 on a linear spring is damn stiff.

I'd back it down to 225/250 area. I'd probably go with 250 with a helper spring to soften the small bumps. If you run only one spring per side, then try 225.

What are you using in the rear?

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    and he said its a crap shoot on what spring rate to get so I need some help. Would 200 be too soft??????? help!
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

There Bilstein coilovers, no adjustments, cast control arms with rubber bushings for now. Rear is leaf spring with adjustable Rancho shocks, stock 2nd Gen 3/4 sway bar.

The spring is not progressive, and no helper spring. Its really hard, I can't even push the front of the van down.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

I've got 350#(non progressive) in the front of my lightened Spirit and its harsh(400# in the rear), then again my front tires stick out even w/ the outside of the fenders so I dont want them to hit and bang up the fenders.

Kevin had either 350's or 300's in his Daytona and said it was too stiff so he went to 250's and said its much better.

Both of these are w/ koni's, mine are on full stiff all around

Which Kevin? I wonder if 225 would be just right as these struts aren't adjustable but my front end is slightly heavier than a Daytona or Shadow due to the TIII auto setup.

turbo addict

Kevin Davis, and I'm pretty sure he had 350's in the front and didnt like it at all, went to 250's and said it was good

Ok, I just PM'd, see what he says.

I guess another option is getting the progressive ones, any idea for a spring on that???????

These are my coilovers-

turbo addict

hows it sit w/ the 12" springs?

I have 7" on the front of mine and its at the very top of the adjustment and is almost too low, but just enough to clear the tires

Perfectly, its lowered 2 inches or so in the front and the adjuster just sits above the tread.

Bump, anyone have anymore info on spring rate?????

yeah simon I had 350's in the front on the daytona and I thought it was way to harsh and the roads here in tennessee are very good.I can imagine what the roads are like in canada because I used to live in Michigan and they sucked.But yes I put the 275# springs on and they are alot better all around.This is my opinion if the 300's feel to stiff than I would try 225's you cant compare to the progressive springs because the rates dont seem anywhere close.Also you're running a 5 inch taller spring than us so that could have something to do with needing a lighter rate.

Ok, then I will order the 225's.

What about running progressive springs, is that a better thing to do? this is a daily driver 99% of the time,

Found this today, I am going to call them tomorrow but basically they offer an exchange program so you find the right coil spring, giddy up,

http://www.offroad-engineering.com/c...gs-eibach.html

turbo addict

wanna try my 500lb'ers Simon?

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    wanna try my 500lb'ers Simon?
    No thanks,

Anyone have info on progressive?

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Ok, then I will order the 225's.

What about running progressive springs, is that a better thing to do? this is a daily driver 99% of the time,
    On a daily driver I would either go progressive or even a stock cut coil if you wanted to lower it.The stock springs cut with a good shock work sweet believe it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by 89shelby2.4 View Post
    On a daily driver I would either go progressive or even a stock cut coil if you wanted to lower it.The stock springs cut with a good shock work sweet believe it or not.
    Bought these years ago so I figured why not, there paid for. Have some Koni's too but either way, I need to buy springs for either setup.

BTW, its been lowered for 4 years,

Update, I backed off the collars so they just hit the spring and retried it, much better but a little bouncy, I don't think the shocks can dampen the springs. I'll give it a few more days.

I am not going to bother with the coilovers, I got some variable rate HD Mini springs, cut one coil off, put my used Koni's on and :wow1", its awesome. I will have to get them rebuilt though, I can't adjust the passenger side, its seized.
    Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 11-19-2007 at 07:39 PM.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

whered you get the hd springs? and price?

i think the most important applicable info on choosing spring rates is knowing how different it will be from what you already have..

front stockers on all the k-based cars ranged from 95 for the shittiest handling stock aries to 145 for the top of the line shelby and cs.

like everyone else says, for your goals id go with a progressive or a 225, and EITHER WAY your bounciness is attributable to the damping ability of the strut you're using so crank them up or get them fixed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast