Thread: Not so good noise and power loss HELP! Blown Turbo?

Garrett booster

Not so good noise and power loss HELP! Blown Turbo?

So i was looking at getting an 89 turbo mini. I went down today and checked it out. spotless! no rust at all. Engine bay is the cleanest i have ever seen. I started it up and all was good sounded great. I then took it for a test drive and that is when it wen't down hill. I pushed down on the go pedal and it boosted great....to a point. when i built up a bit of boost it made a kind of rattley scraping sound and fell on it's face.After this happend the gas pedel had very lttle resistence but still accelerated. Is this a blown turbo? Help me out if it's not a huge deal im going to grab it as i need a vehicle for the winter and to take my grand parents around,

"Edit" It also put out a code 61. what is a "baro" sensor?

Thanks in advance
    Brendan
    Last edited by turbo-baron; 10-30-2007 at 11:36 PM.

Hybrid booster

Re: Not so good noise and power loss HELP! Blown Turbo?

Did you check under the hood? Make sure all the intake (including intercooler) hoses are hooked up and the clamps are nice and tight. I thought my car bit the dust one, only to find out the throttle body hose had popped off. It sounded awful too.

The barometric sensor is on the passenger side in the engine bay attached to the firewall, a vacuum line goes to it and them from it to the map sensor. I can't remember what it does though. Make sure all the plugs and vacuum lines are hook up to it.

Garrett booster

would that cause it to make such a nasty noise? No I/C.

Hybrid booster

If the hose is off or loose, its from it sucking in air through a tiny gap at a very very fast speed. It can sound like scraping. Also, if you want to check take the intake hose off of the turbocharger and see if it is really oily inside if nothing I said is wrong. That will give you a hint if the turbo is dead. You can also check shaft play.

Garrett booster

Hmm... The van is about an hour away from me so i won't be able to check that untill i go down again. Sorry for all the questions. But would that cause all the things i described? I just wan't to make sure th is thing is good. But if that is all it is ill tell him the turbo is blown and get it cheap lol jk.

Hybrid booster

well if he falls for it... Make sure the exhaust isn't emitting a blueish tinted smoke. Also, take off the intake manifold piping from the turbo. Feel around inside and see if it overly oily. Also wiggle the little stud that feels like it has a nut on it. If it moves around a lot and you can get the turbo compressor blade that it attaches to to hit the turbo housing, that's whats causing the sound. If it only moves a tiny bit it's ok.

Garrett booster

I couldn't check for shaft play because I had just driven it and evrything was hot. I guess ill go down again and check.

Garrett booster

Yeah the turbos bad, same thing with my csx.what you want to do is take the hose off the turbo tyr to push the wheel in all different directions and spin it, you should hear it scrap the housing. The reason why you only get it when you hit more boost is because more and more pressure is hitting the wheel forcing it back on it's weak point, usually to the back of the car and down just a little or you might even see little tiny specs of metal in the TB hose. Don't mind checking for oil or smoke because even though it's off balance and bad it can still hold oil, mine does. It's still o.k. to drive and if your worried about it then just keep it out of boost and you'll be good. I still race mine and it becomes more and more off balance, but no oil or smoke. You might want to put an IC on if you are gonna race mainly cause that will catch alot more of the tiny metal particals, but they're so small they won't hit the motor.

Garrett booster

SO i should grab this thing? I can get a turbo for $50 off a friend. Thanks guys. Ill post pics when i get it. It will blow your mind lol cleanest body i have ever seen on a mini underneath is spotless

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

I've seen a few of the mitsu turbos like that where the band clamp that holds them together rusts through and falls off allowing the wheels to rub the housing. Just something else to look for.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

When the turbo went bad on my car it sounded like bolts in a coffee can, but mine smoked a WHOLE lot

Garrett booster

It smoked a bit at idle. It has also not been on the road in lie 4 yrs. I didn't see any smoke out the tail pipe.

when mine went out it was like spyhunter. People behind me were pulling off the road cause they couldnt see. When i took off the intake hose to the throttle body I bet half a quart of oil poured out.

Garrett booster

God damn lol. What else could cause this. It's starting to not sound like a blown turbo

Garrett booster

if it sounds like slight metal on metal scrapping only when you get in boost then the wheel's hitting the housing. Haven't heard of anything else that does the same thing. Still. If it's drivable, clean, and the right price then I'd pic it up. Everything can be fixed.

Garrett booster

I sen't him an e-mail offering $500 so we will see. Im going to try and get it. I need somthing to take my grandparents around in.......and scare the crap out of them lol

turbo addict

The baro solenoid gives the computer a reference for ambient air pressure. This is what the MAP table is based on. The baro solenoid "opens" the MAP to ambient air, the computer takes a reference, and this helps it to read vacuum and boost pressure in the engine. If the baro was messed up, it could cause a driveability problem. But, I agree with the other that the turbo may be scraping the housing, causing you to lose boost.

SHould you get it? Depends on how much they want. Youve got to replace the turbo. Ive heard of it being done w/o yanking the head on a minivan, but I would plan on pulling the head.

Garrett booster

Yeah, I think there is enough room to pull.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by stereo View Post
    Yeah, I think there is enough room to pull.
    One word that will screw you......rust. If it was a NE car, theres no way unless its been off recently.

Garrett booster

Yeah, but if you can get up in there and get a good wrench on it and some TLC it might not be to hard.