Thread: Duralast Starters From Autozone

Hybrid View

Hybrid booster

Arrow Duralast Starters From Autozone

Has anyone had problems with remanned Bosch starters bought from Autozone? My '88 Shadow ES has had 2 put on it in the last year and the second one is developing the same bad solenoid syndrome the other one did. I'm not putting a 3rd one on this car I just wanna know if anyone has had any other remanned ones that are any good?

Garrett booster

Re: Duralast Starters From Autozone

Are you putting the starter heat shields on these new/reman starter? Heat from the exh manifold will cook the starter solenoids.

boostaholic

I've had decent luck with Autolite remans from Kragen, they have a lifetime warrenty. I double warp the starter with insallation (spelling) for hot water pipe + put a heat sheild on too. Get it at the hardware store.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I would agree with the above, I bet your melting the solenoids.

DEI makes a nice heat blanket that easily wraps around the starter and you can put it on with the starter in the car. Its held together with built in velcro. Looks like Jegs copied it and now make it-

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0002_411568_-1

1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

I always use the starter heat shields. I took the starter off tonight and noticed the solenoid was not new just painted. And the thing was remanned in Malaysia. For now I put an original non remanned unit I had on it with the heat shield. I'll have to check around at other stores I guess for a different brand. I am so sick of crap redone in foreign countries. And we know how much fun it was to change that damn starter on this car. EVERYTHING is in the way. Thanks all for your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Abkshelby View Post
    I always use the starter heat shields. I took the starter off tonight and noticed the solenoid was not new just painted. And the thing was remanned in Malaysia. For now I put an original non remanned unit I had on it with the heat shield. I'll have to check around at other stores I guess for a different brand. I am so sick of crap redone in foreign countries. And we know how much fun it was to change that damn starter on this car. EVERYTHING is in the way. Thanks all for your suggestions.
    Get a Nippo starter from www.rockauto.com and forget about it.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ighlight=nippo
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Trust Me...I'm "The Doctor"™ Turbo Mopar Vendor LaserXT1986's Avatar

I will tell you what has been echo'ed on other lists before there were forums:

You'd be better off pulling a low mileage OEM starter from a junkyard car, then buying reman.

And before ANY of you start defending reman's, lemme tell you...I've been there and BACK.

I went through NINE (9) starters in 3 years, after my OEM one on my original Laser (this was several years ago). First THREE were from the dealership!! All replaced under warranty....but I was SICK of getting stuck, having it towed, and losing time waiting for the repair.

After the 4th one went, I decided NOT to go back to the dealer, but PAY my OWN regular mechanic to replace it. He went through SIX starters in a 2 year span. Yes, six. I might add, he also went to FOUR different rebuilders throughout this process. ANY mechanic on here will tell you.....time is money. And no mechanic feels like replacing parts for free constantly...trust me, he wasn't buying crap from Autozone, or Pepboys, etc. Yet, he was still seeing failures (and getting aggravated at the constant failures as much as I was).

Finally, on suggestion of SDML (or EEK, I forget), I grabbed one from a junkyard. That was the LAST one I used until I blew the engine on that car.

And before you start....they ALL had the heatshield. Dealership put a "new OEM one" in, which was re-used for all three of THEIR repairs. My mechanic WRAPPED it up, using several different types as the failures occured.

Reman starters are the BIGGEST pieces of sh!t ever. What Simon said about rebuilt master cylinders should be said about starters that are rebuilt, too.

Oh yes, the final nail in the coffin? My last project (My rusted Laser) had a new built up engine/trans/turbo etc. put into it. I got a rebuilt starter for it, ONLY because I got it from a HUGE rebuilder -- Excell Automotive. The building I currently own for my business, used to be their one warehouse where they did the rebuilding of the starters and alternators (they had 2 warehouses the same size, I now own one of them). I knew the owners, so I figured "what the hell". I SPECIFICALLY told them my past fears of rebuilds, they PERSONALLY selected the one they gave me, because they didnt want their reputation trashed around. Well....I got all of about 10 starts on that starter (yes it too was wrapped) before it went south. THE CAR NEVER MOVED!! This was just to start it up after the engine was installed.

Ok, rant mode off (phew).

Anyway....if you happen to find someone on these lists who has an original NS-1 starter, BUY IT AT ANY COST! It's worth it !! If you cant, hunt down a junkyard car with low miles and pull it, even if its from an N/A car. Wrap it up, put it in, and "forget about it"!!
    David C. Lucidi/1986 Chrysler Laser XT aka "K.I.T.T"
    Authorized TM Decal Vendor:

"SDAC-Club decals": National & many others.
    "Turbo-Mopar": All Decals in store.
    "Turbos Unleashed": Decals in the TU store.
    "Custom and One of a Kind": PM me your specific needs!
    "G-BODY TURBO,TURBO Z, SHELBY Z decals": 100% authentic exact reproduction of factory originals, guaranteed to meet concourse level restorations.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserXT1986 View Post

Anyway....if you happen to find someone on these lists who has an original NS-1 starter, BUY IT AT ANY COST! It's worth it !! If you cant, hunt down a junkyard car with low miles and pull it, even if its from an N/A car. Wrap it up, put it in, and "forget about it"!!
    See my post above,

Hybrid booster

I had one original starter that was off a parts car but it was put on last night so we'll see. The problem is these starter solenoids are junk on these remanned starters. I have bought some parts from Rock Auto and they do carry better stuff. But I did not enjoy replacing this starter so for now we'll just see how long this one lasts. It's sad that you can't buy good stuff anymore. This country has sold out to China basically looks like. But I will be on the lookout for a Nippondenso to try next. I love their alternators and have already switched my '86 GLHS to a Nippondenso alternator so I can actually cut on stuff and not have the battery discharge. But thanks again guys.