Thread: Vac and running rich issue

turbo addict

Vac and running rich issue

Vehicle:89 plymouth sundance
    Engine: 2.5 turbo
    Trans: a-413 auto

Over the last few weeks the car has been running worse in terms of gas milage and starting and dying. After it stated it would die then start right back up run rough then smooth out.

Well to make a long story short i did a head gasket a few months back and noticed when i had the valve cover off that the cam was worn down. so i ordered a new cam STOCK from MOPAR.

So Yesterday i decided to put it in. The car was running decent but rich. so i put the cam in and now the car runs like crap. So i redid the timing belt again and same thing. igniton timing is right on at 12*. The car pulls great VAC. at idle in park-18-19hg. When dropped into gear it will go to 10-13ish and chug.

When i start the car it will start (1st or second try) it will start stoich and slowly fall to rich (A/F gauge). it also is blowing black smoke out of the exhaust.

here is what i did to try and narrow it down.
    -checked fuel pressure-43psi with vac line attached. moves with rpm. vehicle off it does not leak down.
    -swapped ECT sensor from known good vehicle-no change
    -shapped TPS- no change
    -NEW 02 sensor-no change
    -NEW plugs -no change
    -swapped injectors from known good- no change
    -redone timing belt and ignition timing about 3-4 times

Im sure there is more that im forgetting. It has to be something simple that im over looking but i cant figure it out. I have not ohm'd injector harness yet cause i ran out of time. im just looking for some suggestions from the rest of you experts.

Its possible that timing is off but i doubt it. Any information would be helpful as this is my daily driver and i cannot go without it. I have several Turbo Mopars that i can take parts from including logic modules and everything so dont be shy in suggestions.

-thank you
    jeff

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Re: Vac and running rich issue

Ground from the intake to the firewall there?

Have you got a scan tool to look at the coolant temp sensor output?
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
    Ground from the intake to the firewall there?
    Oh crap! I forgot about that last night.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by forcedfedmopar View Post
    Vehicle:89 plymouth sundance
    Engine: 2.5 turbo
    Trans: a-413 auto

Over the last few weeks the car has been running worse in terms of gas milage and starting and dying. After it stated it would die then start right back up run rough then smooth out.

Well to make a long story short i did a head gasket a few months back and noticed when i had the valve cover off that the cam was worn down. so i ordered a new cam STOCK from MOPAR.

So Yesterday i decided to put it in. The car was running decent but rich. so i put the cam in and now the car runs like crap. So i redid the timing belt again and same thing. igniton timing is right on at 12*. The car pulls great VAC. at idle in park-18-19hg. When dropped into gear it will go to 10-13ish and chug.
    I know, but I would really go over the cam timing, use the timing light to verify the cam is not advanced or retarded.

jeff
    That concerns me, it shouldn't drop down to 13" inches in gear, thats why your having issues. Hows the compression? did it have a valve grind? roller cam with roller rockers? Cat plugged?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info