Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ball bearing T3/T04E turbo

Question Ball bearing T3/T04E turbo

Is anyone out there using one of the Garrett ball bearing T3/T04E "upgrade" turbos?
    http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me...egory_Code=GTB

Are these compatible with our Chrysler turbine housings?

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Re: Ball bearing T3/T04E turbo

Wow that is pricey! I don't think our vendors even charge nearly that much to convert your current T3/T04E to a ball bearing.
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

Not interested in the GT series?
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

Angry Re: Ball bearing T3/T04E turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    Not interested in the GT series?
    I have a GT-3076 on a 2.5 with a Menegon head, big cam, 3" exhaust, big intercooler, and 72lb injectors, and the POS won't spool up until it hits 5000 rpm. Meanwhile, the 50 trim S2 hybrid on my car blows it away. I built this motor for a guy who can afford the best stuff and I'm almost embarrassed to deliver it for what I have to charge. The thing makes power but I have to spin it 7000 to use any of it.

Hybrid booster

I have one on my RT. It spools really quickly builds boost in first gear. I still have not tuned my RT yet but I love it. And I'm using a stage III wheel, there's no lag. I'm not sure about using it on a 8v head though.

On your Menegon 2.5 head, did you play with the timing at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Martin View Post
    I have one on my RT. It spools really quickly builds boost in first gear. I still have not tuned my RT yet but I love it. And I'm using a stage III wheel, there's no lag. I'm not sure about using it on a 8v head though.

On your Menegon 2.5 head, did you play with the timing at all?
    I tried changing the timing (cam and ignition) and fuel every which way you could go with it and the only thing I could get was more lag, misfire, or detonation if it made any difference at all

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Wow that is pricey! I don't think our vendors even charge nearly that much to convert your current T3/T04E to a ball bearing.
    Well it comes with the turbine wheel + shaft ($200) backplate ($60) compressor wheel ($180) so its more like 500 dollars for the ball bearing section + assembly & balancing.

You can really claim thats a ripoff.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I did some price shopping and there around $700 for a ball bearing setup, and yes, it will use the Dodge turbine housing. Gasketmaster also sells turbo's.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

you need one because you never have surge issues

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mock_glh View Post
    I tried changing the timing (cam and ignition) and fuel every which way you could go with it and the only thing I could get was more lag, misfire, or detonation if it made any difference at all
    That is really odd dude. Are you able to datalog? You should post those up. There maybe something someone might spot that you didn't think off. Worth a shot.

Frank
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

I have a GT-3076 on a 2.5 with a Menegon head, big cam, 3" exhaust, big intercooler, and 72lb injectors, and the POS won't spool up until it hits 5000 rpm. Meanwhile, the 50 trim S2 hybrid on my car blows it away. I built this motor for a guy who can afford the best stuff and I'm almost embarrassed to deliver it for what I have to charge. The thing makes power but I have to spin it 7000 to use any of it.
    Strange. I ran a 3076R on a 2.2 (+.020 for what it's worth) with a very ported head, and an S3 Taft cam. The car made under 100 WHP until 3K, but by 4K rpms I was over 400 and was at full tilt boost around 3900-4100 depending on the day. 72 lb injectors as well, on a Precision 750 core FMIC crossflow cooler, using a TU header and an external wastegate.

I'm not sure why you're having such spool issues...

What exhaust housing is it using? Mine was on a very ported .63AR housing to boot...

Quote Originally Posted by 8valves View Post
    What exhaust housing is it using? Mine was on a very ported .63AR housing to boot...
    It's on a ported stock manifold and has a .63 AR Chrysler housing, modified to fit but otherwise stock. The engine mods are not nearly as extensive as yours. Too bad I would rather hear "Stock?" than "Omigod" when I pop the hood.

It's on a ported stock manifold and has a .63 AR Chrysler housing, modified to fit but otherwise stock. The engine mods are not nearly as extensive as yours. Too bad I would rather hear "Stock?" than "Omigod" when I pop the hood.
    That's fine too, but I don't really have much out of the ordinary that would make such a drastic difference between the two, except for the header. A ported stocker to a TU log header shouldn't be a 1000 rpm difference in spool.

When I ran a ported stock two piece on it, it acted the same way... slightly laggier, but 4200 was full tilt no problem. That was also when running a dual core TD intercooler, 2.25" IC pipes, and 52 pph injectors. Inside the engine was just a forged crank, T2 rods, Wiseco piston setup. Nothing crazy... and I bet even lower compression than what you're dealing with. My head has 60cc chambers.

Just trying to give you some reference info.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Maybe there's a boost leak?
    Do you know someone who has one of those smoke testers?
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    Maybe there's a boost leak?
    No way. Once this thing finally catches it'll go upwards of 30 lbs without the G-valve installed.

Hybrid booster

Maybe the problem lies in the cal?

Hybrid booster

I had a GT3582R with a 63 turbine and I had full boost at 42-4500rpm. With the GT3071R 32-3600rpm. 2.5, FM Stage 4 head and Nascar boom pipe. Shelgame made me a cal and it got a lot better. Do your homework.

Hybrid booster

I still got the GT3071R. $800 takes it or better offer.

Not all ported manifolds are created equal! Doing my own R&D yielded some interesting results. The FM ported unit I lost 100 RPM spoolup on a 250 WHP setup compared to a stocker. Ported my own, gained 400 RPM over the FM unit.
    What exhaust are you running? Anything restrictive? Cat, muffler? What size pipes?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlesnake View Post
    I still got the GT3071R. $800 takes it or better offer.
    Wish you'd got back to me about that back when you first had it for sale, I'd have bought it,
    Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 10-31-2007 at 07:49 PM.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast