Thread: Rod Bearing Help Needed

Rod Bearing Help Needed

I got all of my parts back from the machine shop. everything checks out beautifully except the rod bearings. They polished the crank, telling me thats all it needed. I order standard bearings. The rod journals mic out at between 1.97x-1.982 withe the rod caps torqued down I have clearances in the .003 range. I was hoping for .0015-.002. I was told I could find a .001 under bearing, but have had no luck finding them. Anyone know of a part number, or if such animal exists?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Rod Bearing Help Needed

What engine?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    What engine?
    2.5 T-I.

The dealer might have something but from my books etc, the aftermarket has nothing. .003" isn't that bad of a clearance.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

mopar only lists one size

The dealer might have something but from my books etc, the aftermarket has nothing. .003" isn't that bad of a clearance.
    The MP book calls for .0025 max. Gary said he liked .0015 Rod bearings- .002"-.0025" (I like .0015 myself)

I just want this one to be right. My last one, which still runs was just slapped together without even so much as plastigauge.

Quote Originally Posted by ACR Turtle View Post
    The MP book calls for .0025 max. Gary said he liked .0015 Rod bearings- .002"-.0025" (I like .0015 myself)

I just want this one to be right. My last one, which still runs was just slapped together without even so much as plastigauge.
    Thats for racing though. My Mitchel books show .0034" as spec and .004" as max. You might lose a tad bit of oil pressure but I would have no issues putting it together with .003" clearance. Just don't run 0w0 oil,

Thats for racing though. My Mitchel books show .0034" as spec and .004" as max. You might lose a tad bit of oil pressure but I would have no issues putting it together with .003" clearance. Just don't run 0w0 oil,
    If my homie Mitchells says it, it must be skrate y0. Seriously though, we were going to put it together then we talked ourselves ou of it. Thanks for your diligence, Simon.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

I'm not sure how you measured them 1st hand.

What mics/tools did you use?
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection View Post
    I'm not sure how you measured them 1st hand.

What mics/tools did you use?
    We used a 1-2 mic on the crank and a "bore" gauge on the rods. I'm not sure if thats the exact name of the tool. But by changing the lower portion you can measure the i.d of cylinder bores, rod ends, and what not by a dial on the top. My friend is helping me measure everything, because, well, he has the tools and assembles a few of the local guys V-8 engines.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Then that means you are doing it correctly.

Check out the crank's journals in more than just one spot to see if they polished your crank correctly. If a shop isn't to used to polishing cranks, they will put alot of taper and out of roundess on the journals. So...on a rod journal let's say... measure to one side, then the other to check taper. Then check the same areas 90 degrees from that and see if the measurments come out the same. .0005" taper/out of roundess is the max I would want to see, but it should ideally be no more than just .0002" If they did a bad job on it, you'll see more than .0005" out of round and/or taper.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection View Post
    Then that means you are doing it correctly.

Check out the crank's journals in more than just one spot to see if they polished your crank correctly. If a shop isn't to used to polishing cranks, they will put alot of taper and out of roundess on the journals. So...on a rod journal let's say... measure to one side, then the other to check taper. Then check the same areas 90 degrees from that and see if the measurments come out the same. .0005" taper/out of roundess is the max I would want to see, but it should ideally be no more than just .0002" If they did a bad job on it, you'll see more than .0005" out of round and/or taper.
    We mic'd one side then used a 12' tape measure and some plastigauge on the rest. lol. Seriously, I know what you are saying and why you asked the question. The guys at the machine shop are familiar with our little engines, as one of the owners used to race them in mini stocks. I didn't specify to them what I wanted, but feel like they haven't done anything "wrong", was just trying to get it where I wanted it. After Simons specs, and talking to another guy I feel more comfortable about the clearance, seeing as its not going to see over 6500 RPM's if that much.

turbo addict

FM lists a .026mm rod bearing.

Advance auto parts lists a .026 bearing on their site. A little expensive at 8.59 ea but still cheaper than turning the crank.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...e=2191&PTSet=A