Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Never Buy A Rebuilt Master Cylinder-please!!!!!!!

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Re: Never Buy A Rebuilt Master Cylinder-please!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    The main reason to not buy a re-built master cylinder is the fact that you have to hone it back to round, before a new, over-sized seal can be expected to work at all. Most master cylinders these days are aluminum which is pretty soft, so in order to make it work, OEM suppliers will hard anodize them, and it works great, the problem comes from the need to hone a used unit, in the process you remove the anodizing. Given all the short cuts re-builders take, you can bet they don't re-anodize them. So what you are left with is a unit that (at best) won't last, even if it's rebuilt very carefully, which is wishful thinking. Can you rebuild a cast iron unit? Sure! Will you get a reliable unit from a rebuilder? Not likely, and therefore not worth the small amount of $$ you might save. If you have to replace it just once, you just wasted more of your time than that little bit of extra $$ you "saved" the 1st time.

Brakes and steering are two places you just don't take chances with.
    That being said... would you trust a new Raybestos unit? It is aluminum and new (the one i bought) USA, Canada or China?
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

I still have the box to my MC...it says made in China on it.

Getting worried if I can trust it or not.

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

Garrett booster

doesnt matter where its made from....they produce 100's of thousands of master cylinders...you would be an idiot to beleive every single one will not be defective.

Trust Me...I'm "The Doctor"™ Turbo Mopar Vendor LaserXT1986's Avatar

Very interesting thread. Makes me think about the problems I had with my past Laser XT, the "rust project I abandoned.

It was so rusty, that I had to replace EVERYTHING. Even the brake lines. I bent new lines for the ENTIRE car, splicing it several times due to not being able to get long enough line in one piece.

Replaced EVERY component. Went to bleed the brakes....I went through FOUR large containers of brake fluid and still had no brakes. I was using a mechanics took lent to me by Brian Slowe, some big tub kinda tool that works on compressed air to "suck" the fluid through. Nothing.

I had thought maybe the lines I bent were bad for some reason, but before I tackled the project of looking for OEM lines in a junkyard (as I was NOT bending lines AGAIN), I abandoned that car when I bought the rust free Laser XT this past July.

Point of the story? I tried THREE rebuilt Master Cylinders when doing all of this!! So now I wonder if THAT was the problem all along......

Thanks for the useful tip Simon!!!
    David C. Lucidi/1986 Chrysler Laser XT aka "K.I.T.T"
    Authorized TM Decal Vendor:

"SDAC-Club decals": National & many others.
    "Turbo-Mopar": All Decals in store.
    "Turbos Unleashed": Decals in the TU store.
    "Custom and One of a Kind": PM me your specific needs!
    "G-BODY TURBO,TURBO Z, SHELBY Z decals": 100% authentic exact reproduction of factory originals, guaranteed to meet concourse level restorations.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

The main reason to not buy a re-built master cylinder is the fact that you have to hone it back to round, before a new, over-sized seal can be expected to work at all. Most master cylinders these days are aluminum which is pretty soft, so in order to make it work, OEM suppliers will hard anodize them, and it works great, the problem comes from the need to hone a used unit, in the process you remove the anodizing. Given all the short cuts re-builders take, you can bet they don't re-anodize them. So what you are left with is a unit that (at best) won't last, even if it's rebuilt very carefully, which is wishful thinking. Can you rebuild a cast iron unit? Sure! Will you get a reliable unit from a rebuilder? Not likely, and therefore not worth the small amount of $$ you might save. If you have to replace it just once, you just wasted more of your time than that little bit of extra $$ you "saved" the 1st time.

Brakes and steering are two places you just don't take chances with.

Here, here.

Dont' forget Steve, parts are sourced and built all over the world. Just because its built in China, doesn't make it bad.

Also, sure your going to get a bad new part once in awhile, the law of averages comes into play but it will happen a lot less than a rebuilt MC, thats for sure.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by 1 bad day View Post
    ..you would be an idiot to beleive every single one will not be defective.
    In your words above, you're saying every single one *is* defective.... unless you mean to say that producing 100,000s of these units, odds are they can't be 100% perfect. .1% failure = 100 bad units.

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection View Post
    I still have the box to my MC...it says made in China on it.

Getting worried if I can trust it or not.
    I'm sure it's fine, from my experience, if you have someone to watch over the Chinese they can produce top-notch products, but if you don't, you'll get crap, or at least not what you expect. Raybestos is big enough that I'm sure they keep a close eye on the QC.

I'm sure it's fine, from my experience, if you have someone to watch over the Chinese they can produce top-notch products, but if you don't, you'll get crap, or at least not what you expect. Raybestos is big enough that I'm sure they keep a close eye on the QC.

That's why I chose that brand name.

But, forgive my paranoidness... I kinda just don't want to die going hard into a corner at 100+

And yes, that is it in my sig pic you see...hehe

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by butchsuppe View Post
    I agree, ANY rebuilt hydraulic brake parts should be outlawed !!!!!! Should also have much tighter regulation on new parts as well. Outlaw ANYTHING made in China. But on the other hand they do make good fireworks.
    Remanned Brake Calipers?

The price of a reman brake caliper as opposed to a new one is ASSRAPE. WITHOUT LUBE. At NAPA anyway. But I get the best discounts they allow so it's all good for me

For what it's worth; I have never had a problem installing a remanned brake master.

Nothing wrong with rebuilt calipers, as they usually replace the piston, which is the part that gets worn. Remanned wheel cylinders are just as bad as rebuilt MC's as the bore takes the abuse.

Ironically, I guess there low on the rear vented disc brake caliper cores as I ordered 2 rebuilt ones and I got 2 brand new ones for $40 each,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

rebuilding a master is fine as long as it isn't honed.

Quote Originally Posted by t3rse View Post
    rebuilding a master is fine as long as it isn't honed.
    Which unless you take it apart, you'll never know,

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Wanna hear a dumb story? Simon and I are TOTALLY in the same boat on this issue and generally ditto each other in threads where this comes up..

but silly me. got a jeep in trade that needed a master and didnt want to wait 3 days for a new one from the parts store. I was planning on selling it right away! So i bought a rebuilt, put it on, and the thing didnt sell. guess what i have now? a failing MC. I feel like a damn retard for not taking my own advice. I can warranty it and HOPE the next one lasts long to sell it, but damn, what if it doesnt? it is almost definitely going to fail as well.. its just a matter of today, next week, february.. I had one that seriously installed fine but didnt make it 200 feet down the road.

THEY ALL SUCK AND THEY WILL FAIL. DONT BE DUMB LIKE ME!! SIMON SAYS NEVER BUY REBUILT!! (har har very punny) AND SO DO I!!! (with less credibility now : / )

turbo addict

i agree with simon, there is alot of talk on my other forum www.forabodiesonly.com on those mastercylinders that have been rebuilt, since many need new master cylinders(older abodies) they have to get them and they fail....dont get them

I agree how can they still sell them

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post

THEY ALL SUCK AND THEY WILL FAIL. DONT BE DUMB LIKE ME!! SIMON SAYS NEVER BUY REBUILT!! (har har very punny) AND SO DO I!!! (with less credibility now : / )
    Hahhahaa, haven't heard that one in a long time,

Quote Originally Posted by 1966 dart wagon View Post
    i agree with simon, there is alot of talk on my other forum www.forabodiesonly.com on those mastercylinders that have been rebuilt, since many need new master cylinders(older abodies) they have to get them and they fail....dont get them

I agree how can they still sell them

Because were not really regulated. If it was up to me, I would have it so that you need a license to buy brake parts.

turbo addict

i agree simon, people who do brakes (on there own cars) should be inspected i dont wanna get hurt cause some guy forgot to reinstall brake pads haha

speaking of that, we had a guy come into the parts store the other day and had a rotor that was worn down so much, all it had left were the fins in the middle
    Last edited by 1966 dart wagon; 12-30-2007 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1966 dart wagon View Post
    i agree simon, people who do brakes (on there own cars) should be inspected i dont wanna get hurt cause some guy forgot to reinstall brake pads haha
    I take alot of flack for saying that but the stuff I see roll in my shop, it scares me. You never know if there behind you or someone/child walks in front of them and they can't stop the vehicle due to putting it together wrong,

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Yep, the DIYers out there that don't have a clue are dangerous. I've seen some qualified shops turn crap out too, and unfortunately even a certified dealership mechanic can make mistakes too. Heck, around Chicago there are several guys working on cars as a business (true story) out of their garages or even the parking lot behind their condo! Yep, all the guys know to go to that guy in the parking lot over there has way better prices that the local shop... scary stuff!

I am by no means a certified mechanic but noboby's going to work on any of my cars other than me or some close friends, and most of those are Chrysler mechanics. If for some reason I do have a shop work on it, I personally inspect everything they do.

The government tried to pass laws from time to time that end the do-it-yourselfer, I have signed several petitions agains this and SEMA fights this too. Rules like this start by saying you can't change your own brakes and then you're not allowed to have any aftermarket parts on your car...

...just my $0.02... hopefully someone who is doing their own brake job or adding their own 5th injector system (or watever DIY task) thinks high enough of their own personal safety that nobody gets hurt.
    Last edited by BadAssPerformance; 12-30-2007 at 06:02 PM.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

True enough but I bet the ratio is backyarders, 80%, licensed 20%. Maybe you could take a course on brakes, thats all it would take.

I used to rebuild wheel cylinders. An old guy told me one important thing. To clean the gunk off the piston flat by rubbing it in brake fluid on the concrete floor.
    The rip off is that a cylinder kit costs about the same as a cylinder!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast