Thread: Slider cam with rollers?

turbo addict

Slider cam with rollers?

Anyone ever tried this? I'm messin' with it at work, and I think I'm near the final product. I know slider cams with roller rockers = the rocker not touching the cam on the base circle. I think I may have calculated the needed shim thickness.
    Any thoughts on this?

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Re: Slider cam with rollers?

Some have said that the roller cams had to be harder in order to survive the smaller contact that the roller rocker has with the cam. If this is correct, the roller follower would wear a groove in the slider cam.

I am not sure about the shims or rocker ratios but they could also be a problem.

Why do you want to do this? An 88TBI cam gives you pretty much all of the duration that a slider had anyway if that is your goal and it is a nice proven option.

-Rich

turbo addict

Roller rockers will EAT the slider cam.

Seen it in junkyard.

turbo addict

Every so often I find people claiming it works. I have a theory that it works on used slider cams. Meaning they surface harden in use with sliders over time and then will survive the rollers. So, if you want a funky profile, I guess you have to hunt for a used one with 40,000 or so on it. Could send a new slider profile off to get surface hardened or cryoed I guess.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Don't cha wanna centerline it and check it for timing and lift before you run it? It's gotta be weird since the geometry is different.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Hybrid booster

I could point ya in the direction of a few brand F guys that use roller cams with sliders but not slider cams with rollers..

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

You have two problems.
    1) Roller cams are alot harder due to the wheel.
    2) The design of the lobe is different-if you look at a roller cam, the nose is rounder, more gently, the flat type is pointy, the roller won't be able to follow it and will bounce causing an unstable valves and at rpm, things could go boom.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Ok, here's the how and why. I have a new MP super 60 cam recently found in the garage. I always liked the performance of that cam, but didn't like the wear characteristics.

I have a mock up engine at work and I thought I'd drop in that cam with old used lifters and rollers and did some close-up inspections. The roller follows the cam profile perfectly, (at hand driven speeds) things may not work as good at 6000 rpms but it looks promising.

If hardening is the issue for use with rollers, that's just a vendor away.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shadow88 View Post
    Ok, here's the how and why. I have a new MP super 60 cam recently found in the garage. I always liked the performance of that cam, but didn't like the wear characteristics.

I have a mock up engine at work and I thought I'd drop in that cam with old used lifters and rollers and did some close-up inspections. The roller follows the cam profile perfectly, (at hand driven speeds) things may not work as good at 6000 rpms but it looks promising.

One thing is for sure, if you do it and it works out well, it'll put some of the 'theories' to rest I'm all for your test, the car is not your DD though right ?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

You think S60 with slider rocker arm wear fast. Wait until you put some roller rocker arm in there, the rocker arm will make DENTS on the cam shaft.

Like I said, I've seen it in junkyard.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    You think S60 with slider rocker arm wear fast. Wait until you put some roller rocker arm in there, the rocker arm will make DENTS on the cam shaft.

Like I said, I've seen it in junkyard.

What would you say the "dents" were caused by? Do you think hardening the cam could fix that or do you think there may have been other issues with the junkyard engine. Was the J/Y engine torn down for further inspection?

2.216vturbo- It's not really my DD, I have a neon for that, but it does get driven a fair bit when the weather's nice.

turbo addict

I'd figure any dents would have come from that previously mentioned problem of the lobe tip being too sharp on slider profiles, the rollers skipping off the tip of the lobe and landing at various points according to engine speed.

turbo addict

Well, this would be using the proper valve springs to keep the rocker arm in contact with the cam lobes.

Cut me some slack, I don't do everything half-a$$ed

turbo addict

It was on a rebuild cylinder head. The slider camshaft was brand new. For whatever reason it was put onto the head with roller rockers. All the contact area on the camshaft with the roller are dented.

Roller camshaft is only around $200 a piece. Is it really worth the hassle trying to use the S60 cam with roller rockers?

http://www.fwdperformance.com/store/...alog=Camshafts

turbo addict

That would seem like a fix, however, call me Captain Obvious, but adding contact pressure to a situation where extreme wear might already be expected, does not seem like a smart move.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    It was on a rebuild cylinder head. The slider camshaft was brand new. For whatever reason it was put onto the head with roller rockers. All the contact area on the camshaft with the roller are dented.

Roller camshaft is only around $200 a piece. Is it really worth the hassle trying to use the S60 cam with roller rockers?

http://www.fwdperformance.com/store/...alog=Camshafts
    Ok, I have a theory on this one. Way back when I started to modify my shadow, I bought a "314" cam and used my roller rockers. At higher rpms (5000) the rocker arm would fall off and usually break off a lifter. I later noticed the roller rockers do not ride on the cam when on the base circle. This may be a reason for the accellerated wear of the cam. Essentially, the rockers have a chance to make contact while not dead flat on the roller surface. This could cause gouging and easily wipe out a cam.

I'm going to guess the link to FWD P is the selection of regrind cams. Even though they seem like a quality peice, I already have the cam and I just want to try to make it work. If it costs about $100 for shipping and cryo treatment, then I'm still out ahead.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    That would seem like a fix, however, call me Captain Obvious, but adding contact pressure to a situation where extreme wear might already be expected, does not seem like a smart move.

Captain Obvious, The higher lift springs are installed because they're needed for a .499 lift cam.
    I really doubt a rocker arm can "skip off the tip of the lobe" Now, it may be possible, but with the spring tension and the rpm limit of about 6000 rpm's, I don't see it happening.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Hand speeds? thats not even close to real rpm. See my post on why it doesn't work properly. You can try it but be ready for alot of broken parts.

If you want a roller S60, buy the Taft S2 cam, its the exact cam but rollerized.

Ok, I have a theory on this one. Way back when I started to modify my shadow, I bought a "314" cam and used my roller rockers. At higher rpms (5000) the rocker arm would fall off and usually break off a lifter. I later noticed the roller rockers do not ride on the cam when on the base circle. This may be a reason for the accellerated wear of the cam. Essentially, the rockers have a chance to make contact while not dead flat on the roller surface. This could cause gouging and easily wipe out a cam.
    Again, see my earlier post on why that happened.

You can try it but be wary of the resulting carnage.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Some have to learn it the hard way.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Hand speeds? thats not even close to real rpm. See my post on why it doesn't work properly. You can try it but be ready for alot of broken parts.

If you want a roller S60, buy the Taft S2 cam, its the exact cam but rollerized.

Again, see my earlier post on why that happened.

You can try it but be wary of the resulting carnage.

Hand speeds and 6000 rpms aren't the same thing? REALLY? It was just to see how the roller followed the ramp, nothing more.

The profiles are similar, but not exact see here http://web.archive.org/web/200412082.../camshaft.html

I'm always ready for broken parts, and yes, I found the best lessons are learned the hard way.