Thread: ASDM connector (Airbag system Diagnostic Module)

Hybrid booster

ASDM connector (Airbag system Diagnostic Module)

Vehicle: 1990 Dodge Shadow 2.5 Turbo I (Vin J)

The airbag light stays on constantly. The front impact sensors/wiring are all in good shape. Cruise control died as well. All connectors/vacuum lines are in good shape (added this as I have no idea if the ASDM/Cruise are somehow related) Vehicle has no codes.

*problems started after a PS rack/pump install*

I have a Monitor/OTC 4000 scanner, but I do not have the connector to test/reset the ASDM under the dash.

Anyone?

Help!

Garrett booster

Re: ASDM connector (Airbag system Diagnostic Module)

Sounds like you maybe messed up something wire/connector wise in the steering column during the rack swap? Did you have the wheel off to centre the wheel? Column wiring connectors intact? Pull em apart and reconnect. Battery disconnected of course. Check all the fuses in the box while you are there. And if you are not familiar with the airbag system...read lots and experiment not young grasshopper. If you are not sure, stay out of the direct line of fire of the bag(s). They can ruin your day.

Hybrid booster

Ya, I read into it and have the FSM's...

Both the FSM/Alldata say to hook the scanner into the ASDM, but I can't seem to find the right connector on OTC's website. After going through the old posts on another site, I am guessing the clockspring is bad...

Either way, the car is sold and the new owner knows about the problem...I just hope he gets it fixed.

Garrett booster

IIRC, the airbag module can be accessed using the CCD bus connector under the driver side of the dash. It's the same connector that is used to communicate with the trans controller, BCM, and ABS module on other Chrysler vehicles. In 1990, it was was blue colored plug- 6 way.

Garrett booster

Has anyone ever pulled airbag codes and/or data from the CCD bus connector (blue colored 6 way as described)?
    I can't get my scan tool to communicate with the CCD bus.
    I have an airbag light that came on too, right after a front wheel alignment was done.

Also, I have the same type of vehicle as the OP: 1990 Dodge Shadow 2.5L

turbo addict

You broke your clock spring. When you had the rack out the steering wheel may have been spun, either unraveling or over tightening the clock spring which damages it. Common problem when you have friends over helping change a rack, someone always wants to take the wheel and spin it.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

sounds like clockspring to me if horn doesnt work

Garrett booster

Where are we supposed to get new clocksprings. This seems like a common failure but the dealer want like $180 and if you get a used 1 its probably jacked up or you will jack it up messing with it. Someone said to check your with a multimeter. Does anyone know exactly how to do this like what pins ect?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

If your careful and crafty you can open one up and check it out prior to installing it. If it has been turned to far one way or the other but not busted you can rewind/reset the ribbon to center it. Been there, done that procedure a few times to save some overwound units.

You get a new one from the dealer... (assuming they still have some leftover?) to much $$$ ? well then you have other options: Used or go without.

Clocksprings are not a high failure point on these cars, which is a blessing and a curse at the same time. They dont break often (yay!) but on the flip side a company like Dorman who makes/markets clocksprings for lots of popular ones that do fail often (gen 3 minivans come to mind) doesnt have a reason to make them for our cars.