View Poll Results: What is your clutch/pressure plate combo and how is it doing for you>?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like it, perfect for my application

14 53.85%
  • I'm not sure i got the right one for me

8 30.77%
  • My car is broken more than i drive it, i can't say for sure

4 15.38%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Clutch and Pressure plate combo poll

Clutch and Pressure plate combo poll

Ok this is an easy one, But you have to answer all the portions of the question. I'l go first cut and paste and add your stats in. at the end, give your opinion on the clutch, thats all i want to know.

car model - 1992 Daytona Iroc R/T

race weight (if you know)- 3285

HP/Trq( estimate ok if reasonable)- estimated 285 modest

Set up- stock bottom end TIII, T3/T4 54 trim stage 2, 58mm TB, ported manifolds, Alki stage 3 cal +40s 3bar, accufab afpr and 255 walbro, 21 lbs boost

Trans- A568 large spline 3.85 ratio

Clutch (type and vendor purchased from)- Ultimate Street and strip kevlar
    TU

Pressure plate( type and vendor)- Blue Pressure plate TU

I am just starting to drive it, seems to work well, smooth, similar to stock in feel, unsure how it will fair if i tune my car yet.

Hybrid booster

Re: Clutch and Pressure plate combo poll

car model - 1990 vnt daytona

race weight (if you know)- 3215

HP/Trq( estimate ok if reasonable)- still yet to dyno

Set up- arp and forged pistons,rods, crank , T3/T4 50trim stage 2, 52mm TB, ported manifolds,tu header 3" sw and exhaust, +40s 3bar, accufab afpr and walbro, 15 lbs boost

Trans- A568

Clutch (type and vendor purchased from)- Ultimate Street and strip kevlar
    TU

Pressure plate( type and vendor)- GOLD Pressure plate TU

so far mine is ok only running 15 psi as of now untill she is tuned and running right. I think i am ok was assured i would be fine unless i ran slicks

1985 Shelby charger

Race weight - 2645

HP estimate ~ 300 hp -400 tq

Trans - 555

TU 4 puck ceramic clutch and blue pressure plate

27 psi and the clutch is holding great
    SDAC member "It's not the ride, it's the rider."

Hybrid booster

car model - 1986 Reliant LE wagon

race weight (if you know)- 2900

HP/Trq( estimate ok if reasonable)- estimated 255?

Set up- 2.2 TII, S70 turbo w/2.5" SV, stock head,intake and exhaust manifolds,TAFT S1 cam, 3" turbo back exhaust,+20's, 3 bar map and cal, 25 psi boost

Trans- A523 large spline 3.77 ratio

Clutch (type and vendor purchased from)- 4 Puck Ceramic from TU

Pressure plate( type and vendor)- Blue Pressure plate from TU

I've taken it to the track a few times and drove it over 5k miles on the street, and never had any problems with it. I love it.

turbo addict

'91 Spirit R/T

Nicely built & ported head/manifolds & turbo on a 195k mile shortblock.

320 whp / ~340 ft/lbs

FWDP 4-puck ceramic disk and whatever plate comes with it

Mildy stiff pedal, you know it's not stock. Quite agressive until you learn to use it. You just need to find that 3/8" of pedal travel where it slips nicely. Otherwise it's an on/off switch. Only recommend it for DD if you REALLY like agressive clutches. It also wore down the pressure plate and flywheel quite a bit over 20k miles it was in the car. I went with another one for the new engine.

2.5 TII/ A555

200 whp/ ~295ft/lbs

TII/TIII combo. Worked awesome! Factory feel to the pedal, easy to use as a daily driver clutch. Never slipped, even with nearly 300 ft/lbs at the wheels. Only had about 10k miles on it till I had to swap it out for reasons not related to the clutch or it's performance.

2.5/555 from the GLHS above.

Standard issue O'Reilly's parts store clutch. It sucks. Has about 20k on it and it slips easily when powershifting at only 5 psi. No pedal pressure- yes it's THAT light! It'd be good for your mom's easy driving 5-speed car though.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Car- 1988 Shadow ES

weight- Unknown ~2800 maybe

HP/TRQ- Estimated currently running 15 PSI, 250 WHP/350 TRQ, eventually 325-350 WHP at 25 PSI.

Setup- 2.5, ported G head, ported manifolds, large IC, 3'', TO4B H trim with stage 3 .63, +40's 3 bar, eventually 25 PSI

Trans- A555 with moly plate

Clutch- 4 puck TU

PP- Blue plate

Completely love this clutch, holds strong and it's not nearly as bad on takeoff and as grabby as I thought it would be.

wow lot of ppl with ceramics. cmon i know there is a lot more ppl, id like to see some more posts

Hybrid booster

1987 sc with t-2 conversion

weight 2500

20 psi boost

m&h slicks

12.81 sec best 110.4 mph best 1/4 mile

fwdperformance t2 t3 clutch pressure.....have been beating it for 2 years.....daily driver most of the time...

we drag it all summer...clutch slipped once i think it might have been the "meguires" hot shine i sprayed on motor and in clutch area

DOHH!

deuce

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

Year/Make/Model/Sub-Model - 1985 Dodge Charger Shelby

Race Weight - Stock, minus rust, minus A/C, plus 200lb ballast weight

HP/Torque - About 250/NA

Set-Up - Similar to S60 Set-Up.

Trans- A-555

Clutch (Brand/Type/Vendor Purchased From)- Relentless Performance 4-Puck

Pressure Plate (Brand/Type/Vendor Purchased From)- Whatever came with the Level II/Stage II Clutch and PP Package.

No slippage. Engagement was almost instant. The kind of clutch I like. Pedal feel: you know it's there. Quite mild in my opinion as far as driveability, but then again I'll drive anything with wheels.
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

car model - 1988 Dodge Lancer Shelby

race weight- Car&Driver article from 1988 says 2927lbs curb weight.

HP/Trq( estimate ok if reasonable)- estimated 165whp not sure about TRQ 225ft/lbs?

Set up- Stock 2.2 TII. FWDP Stage 3 Smec. G-Valve set at 14psi. 2.5" DP. 3" cat, Frankenstein 2.25" exhaust. running low 15's to high high 14's.

Trans- A555 3.85 Final Drive

Clutch -Stock OEM replacement. Its slipping when over 10psi of boost. Looking into alternatives for planned modifications. Great post idea BTW

boostaholic

car model - 1987 GLHS

race weight (if you know)- 2700

HP/Trq( estimate ok if reasonable)- estimated 250hp tq??

Set up- stock TII bottom end, stock TII turbo w/ TU 'fast spool', port matched head & exhaust manifold, 3" TU swingvalve, full 3" exhaust with magnaflow cat and muffler, GLHS stage 2 LM, 255 walbro, K&N filter, 14 lbs boost

Trans- A568 large spline 3.50 ratio with OBX

Clutch (type and vendor purchased from)- Another Ultimate Street and strip Kevlar from TU

Pressure plate( type and vendor)- Blue Pressure plate TU

Loving this clutch. Never had a slip, it grabs hard and pedal feel is great. It's never complains about hard launches, even with the LSD.

turbo addict

car model - 1992 Plymouth Sundance Duster

race weight (if you know)- 2500

HP/Trq( estimate ok if reasonable)- ~250/300

Set up- 7:1 compression 3.0, t67 P-trim. 5psi boost. Other stuff.

Trans- A543 (a523) large spline 3.77 ratio

Clutch (type and vendor purchased from)- 3 puck solid hub ceramic - Clutchnet

Pressure plate( type and vendor)- Sachs tIII +40% - Eurodrive (currently has stretched straps and will not shift above 3000 rpms but I have a clutchnet red 2x tIII +40% pressure plate here to replace it)

This clutch is a lot of fun but you cant slip it or it barks/groans. When i had a 4 puck it would slip some on a clutch drop in 2nd gear. This clutch just grabs. Both are on off switches but the 4 puck could get away with some slipping if you were very delicate with the pedal. With the 3 puck I just have to "go"
    I like the clutch setup now but I learned to drive stick on the 4 puck with +40% tIII plate. That probably means if you like the stock clutch setup (I put a used stock t1 setup in my daily driver for temporary use and I HATE IT because if feels so soggy and I love the precise feel of a hard biting clutch) then you will hate my clutch.

Wow ondonti not only the 3 puck but solid hub also! I also love a hard biting clutch. I also had a dual diaphram PP in my daytona, loved it. It's nice knowing the clutch is there and won't slip.

seems like a 4 puck ceramic is the choice of almost anybody. So was the choice through recommendation or one your own guys

It's about the best street/strip clutch there is for our cars. It's kinda like the super 50 trim turbo.
    Many people recommended it, but I didn't get one until I drove a car that had one.

I was under the impression it was to on/off for daily driving. i understand the ceramics whether 6 or 4 or 3 were chattery and aggressive not very good if you have any on off driving.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

'87 CSX Clone, T2/A555 (3.50:1 OBX)

http://badassperformance.com/mrides/clone/clone.html

Clutchnet +40% plate, 4-puck solid hub.

It spun before the 6th pass in my Z, swapped it into the Shadow, no problems, daily driven*, estimated ~250whp.

* BTW, I also have no power steering or A/C and solid motor mounts... so about the solid hub clutch, sure it chatters a little sometimes, but crap like that is ok with me

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrempickup View Post
    I was under the impression it was to on/off for daily driving. i understand the ceramics whether 6 or 4 or 3 were chattery and aggressive not very good if you have any on off driving.
    The solid hub discs tend to be more on/off than the sprung hub discs. TU sells only sprung hub I believe, clutchnet sells either one.
    My clutch isn't chattery at all, and you can slip it pretty decently so it's not a complete on/off clutch.

JT I think most people agree that clutchnets pressure plates aren't really that great and it was probably your problem. With the correct plate a 4 puck solid should hold 450 WHP and 500+ ft/lbs of torque.

wish i would have been told that about the clutch when i was looking for one, i would have gone with a 4 or 6 puck because i can pretty assuredly be close to 300HP on my TIII after tuning and new cal in spring

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast