Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FWD Dyno Cal 2.5L 16V DOHC Hybrid

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Vendor

FWD Dyno Cal 2.5L 16V DOHC Hybrid

Larry Buford came by the shop for some dyno tuning time. If you are not familiar with his car, he has created a rear wheel drive Sundance with ingenious creativity and attention to detail. This is one solid car and I love the setup. He runs a 2.5l bottom end with a Neon 2.0 16v head and a Holset turbo. We baselined his car at 315hp (15psi). In the course of a couple of hours we tweaked the calibration and ended up at 420hp (19psi). We could have gone further but Larry needed to drive the car back home 14 hours so I left it with some room to hit his 25psi goal; All in all a good day on the dyno for Larry and anyone else looking at a 2.5l hybrid with an FWD calibration.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LarryBuford1.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	6119   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LarryBuford2.JPG 
Views:	217 
Size:	207.2 KB 
ID:	6120   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LarryBuford3.JPG 
Views:	253 
Size:	227.0 KB 
ID:	6121   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LarryBuford4.JPG 
Views:	221 
Size:	209.1 KB 
ID:	6122  
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=red][B][URL="http://www.fwdperformance.com/store"]FWD Performance[/URL][/B][/COLOR] is a performance parts and service business catering to a variety of high performance cars. We carry a full line of products to service and upgrade [I][COLOR="#FF0000"]Turbo Mopars, Shelby Dodges and Chryslers[/COLOR][/I] of all makes, models and years. From parts to service, fabrication and dyno tuning there is something for everyone. Visit our store at [COLOR=red][B][URL="http://www.fwdperformance.com/store"]FWD Performance[/URL][/B][/COLOR], we'd love to hear from you![/SIZE]

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Re: FWD Dyno Cal 2.5 T2 Hybrid

Nice gain, even with the increased boost it looks like the cal helped a lot. Being a techy kind of person I would love to know how the a/f ratio looked before and after and what kind of gains are able to be had without an increase in boost, just by tweaking the cal.

Larry is a great guy and I was amazed when I walked up to his car at SDAC this year and saw it converted to rwd (the last time I saw it the car was fwd). Definately some nice work, and the fact that he drove all the way to PA earlier this year, and down to TX for the dyno time speaks volumes of the reliability of his setup.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

awesome work James . I'm glad to see Larry on the dyno. is he going to the track sometime soon?

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Cool car and great results.

But one Q: am I reading it wrong, or is the hp/torque intersecting at 4,300 rpms, and not 5252?
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

boostaholic

Wow! That is a big gain! Good Job!

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection View Post

But one Q: am I reading it wrong, or is the hp/torque intersecting at 4,300 rpms, and not 5252?
    Torque and HP are scaled differently on the graph. Torque scale is on the right, hp scale is on the left.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Holy f*ck,

Nice work,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

No more pictures on the conversion?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

Different scales, which I don't understand why people do.
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Torque and HP are scaled differently on the graph. Torque scale is on the right, hp scale is on the left.
    ahh! But what is the advantage for dynocom to scale it this way?

James should know as I hear he's on the dynocom forum they have for their owners. (my friend has one and is on their forum where he's recognized your FWD-P name )
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Nice work... is Larry on TM yet?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

very nice work Larry!!!!!

turbo addict

14 hour drive???? Wow. Was that just for the dyno time or was he in town? Larry is a madman. Nice work, James. 420 HP is pretty freakin impressive at 19PSI.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

i want more pics of this car. wow.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

That is very cool. I was most impressed with his ride at SDAC.

Authorized Vendor Turbo Mopar Vendor mario03SRT's Avatar

I bet this would work pretty well on the turbovanman 16v/T3/2.5 setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    Different scales, which I don't understand why people do.
    Well it's a software thing. I suppose if you dyno'd a diesel truck and had 320 HP with 700ftlbs of torque the graph would look a little silly if you used the same scale for HP/Torque. I could split HP and torque into two seperate graphs which I would do if a customer ask for it, otherwise, I'm perfectly fine with the default.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=red][B][URL="http://www.fwdperformance.com/store"]FWD Performance[/URL][/B][/COLOR] is a performance parts and service business catering to a variety of high performance cars. We carry a full line of products to service and upgrade [I][COLOR="#FF0000"]Turbo Mopars, Shelby Dodges and Chryslers[/COLOR][/I] of all makes, models and years. From parts to service, fabrication and dyno tuning there is something for everyone. Visit our store at [COLOR=red][B][URL="http://www.fwdperformance.com/store"]FWD Performance[/URL][/B][/COLOR], we'd love to hear from you![/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by 1FastCSX289 View Post
    14 hour drive???? Wow. Was that just for the dyno time or was he in town? Larry is a madman. Nice work, James. 420 HP is pretty freakin impressive at 19PSI.
    Larry was in Dallas visiting his brother so he decided another three hours south would be worth the outcome. I made sure it was.

ahh! But what is the advantage for dynocom to scale it this way?
    I'm not sure there is any advantage per se. As I mentioned, IMO a graph would look silly with a 320 HP / 700ftlb diesel truck if they were on the same scale. What I really like about this dyno is the consistent results and sensitivity for tuning using the Eddy current brake. I recently took an SRT 4 that I installed an AEM system in. I made 400HP with it but was having some trouble getting the driveability issues solved. I am not AEM certified but after that experience, I should be. Anyway I took it to a shop who was "AEM Certified". Though it turned out they didn't know anymore then I did, we got the issues fixed together. My point though is that they had a Dynopack which is a water brake system and each unit bolts directly to the hub. Our numbers were within 1% of each other.
    Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 10-18-2007 at 12:59 PM. Reason: fixed quotes!!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Larry was in Dallas visiting his brother so he decided another three hours south would be worth the outcome. I made sure it was.
    For sure! Nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast