Thread: Shelby Posi Info/ LSD Options???

Hybrid booster

Shelby Posi Info/ LSD Options???

I have tried searching around the forum and the net for info on the Shelby Posi unit but no luck. I'm sure someone on here know some info about them (Cliff...) I'm wondering what kind of lsd it was or what it was modified from. For some odd reason I have it stuck in my head that it was a modified dana 30 diff but I'm not sure at all....

Also, around a year ago or more some of the neon guys were talking about getting a clutch type lsd produced in the UK from Gripper. Did anything ever come out of that? Are there any new options out there for fwd turbo mopar trannys other than QUAIFE/OBX, Phantom Grip/The Blak Trax LSD? I'm still looking for a clutch type for my rally car. The main goal it to drive out of a stage if I break an axle. I've driven around with my GLHS with a welded 525 diff and love how it handles in the loose stuff but on the street it's no fun. Well, lets hear the options!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

Re: Shelby Posi Info/ LSD Options???

Some info I dug up:

".......two different units that the old Shelby Motorsports sold for our cars, and then there's the viscous ( I think Machinehead refers to is as a hydraulic locking) type that has been used in Jeeps as well.

The small Dana is a multi-disc clutch type torque sensing (that is, they work off the differences in torque transmitable to each side) unit, that SM sold for the 520 and 523/543/568 manual transaxles. I'm not sure how compatible these things are with ATF....somone should talk to Dana about using them with automatic transaxles.

The "jellybean" type is a classical cam and pawl torque sensing unit which was invented in the early part of the 20th century. Those "jellybeans" are actually called "pawls", though are sometimes colloqually referred to as "chicklets".

The hydraulic locking units are usually viscous couplings that are speed sensing (that is, they work off of the difference in speed from side to side), and a silicone goo that heats up due to the speed differences (from the side gears thru interlocking plates in the diff) and changes viscosity (aka fluid shear resistance) based on the amount of heat input. When the diff heats up to a certain point, the plates can lock together (aka "hump" mode), which is tough on the diff and trans because it's locking all the heat into the system, but works ok for off road applications where it's in an axle that's seperate from a transaxle, and can cool off quickly."

Per Cliff:

"When new they ran $1200 to $1500 depending on where you bought them. You can't buy them any longer, haven't for years and they are nothing like a Quaife or PG. They are a mechanical unit and were ONLY for the 460, 465 and 525."

Pics Per 1985ShlbyChrgr:

Pics Per Cliff Ramsdell:

Last edited by Mario; 10-16-2007 at 10:30 PM.
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

Hybrid booster

Thanks for the info!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Nice find Mario,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Way to go Mario I've never seen the exploded views of the Chicklett diffs. Weren't they built by "Saines" in Florida?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

Those pics were actually taken right before that unit was install in a transmission. As I recall it was a brand new unit still in the box. Very pretty unit, makes you kind of sad to see a set of bearings press on and it hidden away behind some steel and aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGLH View Post
    Those pics were actually taken right before that unit was install in a transmission. As I recall it was a brand new unit still in the box. Very pretty unit, makes you kind of sad to see a set of bearings press on and it hidden away behind some steel and aluminum.
    I hope you don't mind that I posted them. I've had these saved on my comp for a long time and forgot to give credit to Cliff/Yourself.
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    I hope you don't mind that I posted them. I've had these saved on my comp for a long time and forgot to give credit to Cliff/Yourself.
    I'm guilty of the same thing, you never know when pics are going to drop off into the void so I keep copies of stuff that I think is important. On that note, the pics are my dads not mine, I was just adding some story to them. I don't think he would mind, besides anyone who's been to the shop would recognize those gorilla hands and/or the crappy brown work bench and know where they came from

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Just curious, what would be the advantage to this type of diff vs Quaife/Obx/Peloquin type
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

Actually, the first 3 pictures at the top are mine. I took them a few years ago of pictures from a magazine, I also have a picture and explanation of the fiberries. All the pictures are on my photobucket account. I don't care if they're used, but I don't want them to be construed as someone elses.

Also, I'm not saying anyone stole them, I just want it to be known that I took them. That is all.

Photos credited.

Yeah but I loved that old bench. It took so much abuse and lasted 14 years at the old place and yes, those are my meat hooks.

As for the question about the 525 cam & Pawl. Shelby built these to cheat, plain and simple.

No posi unit was allowed and this unit act's like an open diff when doing inspection, car in neutral, one wheel jacked up and it spins. This was the test and a clutch unit would have either been very tight or would not have turned.

This will lock both tires when power is put to the unit, it's hard to explain in test, a video is really needed to show how it works.

There was a Quaife stile unit for the 525 at one time also but I forgot who made it, had one hear some years ago also but it was fragile and broke quickly, the cam & pawl takes a good beating.

Cliff Ramsdell
    The Transmission Authority
    For all your 5 speed and 3 speed auto needs
    Mopartek@aol.com
    '86 GLHS 210 Shelby Roll cage and Posi unit. http://www.members.aol.com/mopartek/home.html
    www.Mopartek.com

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGLH View Post
    anyone who's been to the shop would recognize those gorilla hands and/or the crappy brown work bench and know where they came from

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Ramsdell View Post
    Yeah but I loved that old bench. It took so much abuse and lasted 14 years at the old place and yes, those are my meat hooks.

As for the question about the 525 cam & Pawl. Shelby built these to cheat, plain and simple.

No posi unit was allowed and this unit act's like an open diff when doing inspection, car in neutral, one wheel jacked up and it spins. This was the test and a clutch unit would have either been very tight or would not have turned.

This will lock both tires when power is put to the unit, it's hard to explain in test, a video is really needed to show how it works.

There was a Quaife stile unit for the 525 at one time also but I forgot who made it, had one hear some years ago also but it was fragile and broke quickly, the cam & pawl takes a good beating.

Cliff Ramsdell
    The Transmission Authority
    For all your 5 speed and 3 speed auto needs
    Mopartek@aol.com
    '86 GLHS 210 Shelby Roll cage and Posi unit. http://www.members.aol.com/mopartek/home.html
    www.Mopartek.com
    Shelby Cheat??? Surely you dont mean that Cliff ...

Tim P told me that those Shelby Chargers he ran in the IMSA series had double firewalls. Nice to be able to 'order up' a car that way

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Alan, you may recall that I got a cam & pawl unit from Boyd (he got it from Dave) and then shipped it to Cliff and he built it into the 525 hybrid that is in my 85 GLHT. As I recall, the floating pieces looked more like peanuts and less like chiklets though.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia