Thread: how much base timing

Hybrid booster

how much base timing

what the timing people run for our cars when running 15 psi or more or is it stock (just wanna make sure )

turbo addict

Re: how much base timing

prob depends on which head you have

I run 16 degrees on a G head at 20 psi.
    later Dick Westerhof

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Way too many variables. Best thing is to set it at 12 deg and do a run. If no knock, then advance 2 deg, if go faster with all other stuff being equal, IE 60ft times etc, and no knock, go another 2 deg. Stop when you hear knock or slow down.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

ahhhh

will advancing it make the egts go up or down is nothing else were to change

turbo addict

more timing = less EGT

Quote Originally Posted by Mr overkill View Post
    ahhhh

will advancing it make the egts go up or down is nothing else were to change
    I can never remember this but I believe using theory, advancing the timing will raise EGT's, as I remember when breaking in small block chevy's, you retard the timing to stop the exhaust manifolds from glowing red hot and overheating.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

nope read my post, more advanced lowers EGT's, thats why its a balancing act between EGT's and knock. Mostly on lower octane fuels like pump gas. So basically you run the timing till it pings, then back off a little, watch EGT's if there too high you will have to lower the boost cause thats the best you can do on that octane fuel

thats why a 2 step w/ timing retard will spool in neutral(or clutch in for a 5spd). Retarding the timing moves some of the combustion energy to the exhaust mani to spool the turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedeuphoria View Post
    nope read my post, more advanced lowers EGT's, thats why its a balancing act between EGT's and knock. Mostly on lower octane fuels like pump gas. So basically you run the timing till it pings, then back off a little, watch EGT's if there too high you will have to lower the boost cause thats the best you can do on that octane fuel

thats why a 2 step w/ timing retard will spool in neutral(or clutch in for a 5spd). Retarding the timing moves some of the combustion energy to the exhaust mani to spool the turbo.

Thats weird as retarding it for the SBC's lowers the exhaust temps????? but I do realize that retarding the timing starts the process later in the combustion process.