Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .63 housing vs stock housing

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: .63 housing vs stock housing

Quote Originally Posted by shadow88 View Post
    20-30 whp on just a turbo swap? wow.

I have no idea what stage wheel or any of the details because I haven't bought anything. Have you ran 20-30 whp difference before and after turbo swaps or just guessing?

Or more,

A popular hybrid is the T3/T4 turbo, 50 trim compessor wheel, stage II wheel and .63 housing.

If you just want a bit more and want a bolt on turbo, the S60 is a wicked street turbo.
    Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 10-14-2007 at 10:12 PM.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Right Simon, I was being conservative with 20-30. I had a S70 on my daytona with .63 stage 1, about a 15 WHP increase at the same boost level over the stock T2 turbo. So a 50 trim with .63 stage 2 is gonna be more than that.

Hybrid booster

Thumbs up Re: .63 housing vs stock housing

Ok, I had some issues with power fallout up top on my Daytona (rip).
    It was running a stock garrett (T2 setup).

Due to the outstanding feedback, I have decided to order the .63 housing and have it thermal coated locally.

Thanks to all and of course, Simon

Will be going to dyno in a month, hoping for 250whp playing with fuel pressure on +20s, stock I/C.

Will post pics this week before engine goes back in.

I have the S70 with a .63 housing and S1 turbine in the Daytona. It's laggy below 3000rpm, which took some getting used to on the street. I was used to the stock Garrett on the CSX, which spools like a Mitsu with a ported manifold and 3" exhaust.

I get a smooth spool up to 20psi by 4000rpm with the S70 and it pulls hard to cutout. I am thinking about going with TU's new manifold to see if it makes the spool up any quicker. I'm running an FM ported manifold right now, just like the CSX. I think the manifold is my cork at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by john1320 View Post
    Ok, I had some issues with power fallout up top on my Daytona (rip).
    It was running a stock garrett (T2 setup).

Due to the outstanding feedback, I have decided to order the .63 housing and have it thermal coated locally.

Thanks to all and of course, Simon

Will be going to dyno in a month, hoping for 250whp playing with fuel pressure on +20s, stock I/C.

Will post pics this week before engine goes back in.
    250 WHP should be attainable, I got close with a crappy IC,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMopar View Post
    I have the S70 with a .63 housing and S1 turbine in the Daytona. It's laggy below 3000rpm, which took some getting used to on the street. I was used to the stock Garrett on the CSX, which spools like a Mitsu with a ported manifold and 3" exhaust.

I get a smooth spool up to 20psi by 4000rpm with the S70 and it pulls hard to cutout. I am thinking about going with TU's new manifold to see if it makes the spool up any quicker. I'm running an FM ported manifold right now, just like the CSX. I think the manifold is my cork at the moment.
    Weird, I had 22 PSI at about 3200 RPM with my S70 from TU on my setup....G headed 2.2 which should be even laggier.
    The FM manifold is some of your problem, they actually reduce spool. My manifold increased my spoolup by about 300 RPM over the FM unit I was running.

Quote Originally Posted by moparzrule View Post
    Weird, I had 22 PSI at about 3200 RPM with my S70 from TU on my setup....G headed 2.2 which should be even laggier.
    The FM manifold is some of your problem, they actually reduce spool. My manifold increased my spoolup by about 300 RPM over the FM unit I was running.
    Thanks for that bit of info. It confirms what I am thinking. Does anyone know the status of the new cast TU manifold? I may go to a hybrid someday on this car (I think it really needs a 57trim or similar), so I'm thinking of doing a get-ahead by using the better TU-style manifold and get the oil/coolant lines and downpipe mods sorted out now.

Thanks for that bit of info. It confirms what I am thinking. Does anyone know the status of the new cast TU manifold? I may go to a hybrid someday on this car (I think it really needs a 57trim or similar), so I'm thinking of doing a get-ahead by using the better TU-style manifold and get the oil/coolant lines and downpipe mods sorted out now.
    Well, looking at the FM manifold I was running is what got me into porting manifolds actually. I was looking at it one day, comparing it to a stocker, and thought well WTF I can port it a lot better than that myself LOL. But seriously, the flowbench test that Direct Connection did on the manifolds confirmed everything for my real world testing. The FM manifold actually has less flow than a stocker in some ports, I'm not sure how they even accomplished that.
    The consensus is the Super 50 compressor wheel in a .50 A/R TO4E housing combined with a .63 stage 2 for a 2.2 and stage 3 for a 2.5 is about the best turbo you can use for these 8 valve engines up to 450 HP or so. Pretty much 300-450 WHP is a good range for it.

Well, looking at the FM manifold I was running is what got me into porting manifolds actually. I was looking at it one day, comparing it to a stocker, and thought well WTF I can port it a lot better than that myself LOL. But seriously, the flowbench test that Direct Connection did on the manifolds confirmed everything for my real world testing. The FM manifold actually has less flow than a stocker in some ports, I'm not sure how they even accomplished that.
    Hmm...well I'd like to think it flows better than stock overall, but who knows. It's hard for me to take flow bench results too seriously on a log style manifold when they are only flowing one port at a time. If I buy another ported stock log, I'll get one of yours.

The consensus is the Super 50 compressor wheel in a .50 A/R TO4E housing combined with a .63 stage 2 for a 2.2 and stage 3 for a 2.5 is about the best turbo you can use for these 8 valve engines up to 450 HP or so. Pretty much 300-450 WHP is a good range for it.
    Super 50, thats what I was trying to think of. I've notice too that there are a lot of people that are happy with that hybrid setup. I have a ported intake, Steve M head, and triple core IC, so I know an E housing would be a great match. I went with the Super 70 strictly for packaging reasons and it was the biggest turbo that I could get in a T3 using a Chrysler housing. I had already exceeded my budget with the project and could not afford an expensive exhaust manifold.

Chris is close with it being in production. There is a thread in his section about it,

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Hmm...well I'd like to think it flows better than stock overall, but who knows. It's hard for me to take flow bench results too seriously on a log style manifold when they are only flowing one port at a time. If I buy another ported stock log, I'll get one of yours.

Super 50, thats what I was trying to think of. I've notice too that there are a lot of people that are happy with that hybrid setup. I have a ported intake, Steve M head, and triple core IC, so I know an E housing would be a great match. I went with the Super 70 strictly for packaging reasons and it was the biggest turbo that I could get in a T3 using a Chrysler housing. I had already exceeded my budget with the project and could not afford an expensive exhaust manifold.
    Oh, yeah a Menegon head will love the S50 hybrid. Heck my setup which is probably a little behind yours in every aspect loves the regular 50 trim hybrid.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

I think the manifold is my cork at the moment.

Should read: "I think my manifold is my cork soaker at the moment."
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Mitsu booster

I really like the .63 housing, especially in a 2.5. I honestly think that any decent setup would actually benefit from the larger housing since traction becomes such an issue so quickly. luxury home builders az

Garrett booster

+1
    really wakes up a 2.5 after 4500 rpms

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

uhhh dont encourage bots by responding to their posts! lol.

if you ever see a user with 1 post and that post consists of copying someone elses post exactly, and then throwing an unrelated link onto the end of it...

Its not a real user
    and
    DONT click the link. (just to be safe)

boostaholic

Well I've got my car on the road again and SHAMWOW I get 20PSi at 2800 RPM then the clutch lets loose haha 63. stg 1 thanks guys

Speaking of hybrid turbo's, this will be for sale soon if anyone is interested, its a good unit, just not big enough anymore. I freshened it up last year and put about 20 runs on it since. 50 trim T04E, Chrysler flanged .63 AR stg.III. PM me if interested.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turbo 1.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	203.1 KB 
ID:	13903   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turbo 2.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	201.4 KB 
ID:	13904  
    Last edited by Warren Stramer; 04-10-2009 at 10:29 PM.
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12