Thread: Replacement clutch, are there differences for stock TII clutch sets?

Replacement clutch, are there differences for stock TII clutch sets?

I was driving home and apparently something in the clutch area, either the pressure plate, bearing or clutch itself started having problems, mainly just when I would push it in to change gears. Something is definitely out of whack as it is very rough and stiff when the clutch pedal is pushed. So I'm going to hold off on buying the latest and greatest as I have a 568 I plan to put in. But for the time being I need a clutch and plan on buying whatever will do the job of letting me change gears.

The motor came out of an 87-88 Daytona and is the TII motor setup. Is there something specific I should look for or can I just ask for a clutch for this year and make and get what I need? There seems to be a difference in price for turbo vs. non-turbo clutches so I would assume that has something to do with the tranny type or just quality of the clutch?

Also, if anyone has any specific part numbers from AZ, Advanced or Napa that would save me time figuring out who has it, it would be most appreciated.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

Re: Replacement clutch, are there differences for stock TII clutch sets?

Get a turbo clutch kit. Turbo clutch is bigger.

If you can wait, give TU or FWD a call.

Can't wait and going to get what I need for the 568. But I will give them a call regardless when I upgrade. :-)

Thanks man,

minigts
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

What year A568? It makes a different.

I'd get the Luk clutch, from autozone, if you can.

Hybrid booster

try Advance Auto parts, they have a fenco dynapack for just over $100.
    it's not gonna hold major horsepower, but it handles my stock T1 ok.
    it'd probably be ok just to get you by

Well I got the clutch set from AZ (only place in Memphis that had it!). Thankfully it wasn't the clutch, but the bearing. Pretty much was a piece of poop with a plastic inner race that wore out, then I guess wore out the race and all the little bearings FLEW out of it! Left a couple of scars on the inside transmission, but no damage. Needless to say, everything is getting replaced

Found another issue, transmission mount and an rubber o-ring! Getting that replaced, but when I pulled the spline out of the rear and removed the extension piece (not sure what it is called) the larger thin rubber o-ring that fits on that piece broke!

Would the parts store carry this o-ring or is there some simple part I can use to replace?

So the o-ring in question is the one that fits on the extension piece where the speedo sensor bolts in.

Man I hate pulling the transmission.....

Sorry for the bump, but I'm leaving work shortly and was hoping someone could answer the o-ring question.

I have to finish this tonight when I get home. Going on three days. I would have put it in the HELP! section, but this thread was already going and thought it was straight forward.

turbo addict

I can get you the mopar part number when I get home.

Thanks man. If I can't get it today due to lack of stock, there isn't much I can do. But if it is SOMEWHERE in this city or if there is a suitable replacement, I need to get it today. Sick of having the NOT running. ;-)

turbo addict

Part number is 6500111

Thanks for the part number. I ended up asking JDAWG via PM and got it earlier, but wanted to say thanks for knowing and getting the number posted.

Unfortunately there wasn't a dealership in town that carried it in stock so I had to use LOTS of dental floss in place of the o-ring....JK!

Amazingly, Napa carries lots of various size o-rings and they had one that worked. I'll have to get the correct part number, but needless to say if you are in a bind and need this part or something similar Napa may have it. Overall diameter is like 2.75-2.85". The extension housing itself is right at 3" and with the groove for the o-ring, it makes a 2.75" o-ring fit snuggly.

yea napa has some cool stuff. They are one of the actual parts stores left thats not full of lighty hood squirters and have people that actually have knowledge. If they have a part in question about application give them an OE number and they can cross it over to their number. I do it all the time. Most of the time I dont even give them application, I just get them to cross the OE number.