Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lifter noise!!!!!!!!! WTF?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Angry Lifter noise!!!!!!!!! WTF?

Ok, after fixing my very noisey PS pump, I can know hear the lifters, and there very noisey, very, very noisey, so noisey there setting off my knock sensor. I seem to have good oil pressure as I am using my nearly new pump but I guess I could do an actual pressure test. I am using stock lifters and I can't see me getting 16 bad lifters. I just removed the front valve cover and all the rocker arms are loose. I checked the shaft and I did put it on right, and it is the right side so the holes are lined up. I started it and theres oil coming out of the hole on top of the rocker arm, not alot but some at idle so whats going on? Do I really have 16 bad lifters or is there maybe something wrong with the head?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Re: Lifter noise!!!!!!!!! WTF?

Oh Snap!
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Are you using any non-stock parts as far as the head/valvetrain go?

Authorized Vendor Turbo Mopar Vendor mario03SRT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Ok, after fixing my very noisey PS pump, I can know hear the lifters, and there very noisey, very, very noisey, so noisey there setting off my knock sensor. I seem to have good oil pressure as I am using my nearly new pump but I guess I could do an actual pressure test. I am using stock lifters and I can't see me getting 16 bad lifters. I just removed the front valve cover and all the rocker arms are loose. I checked the shaft and I did put it on right, and it is the right side so the holes are lined up. I started it and theres oil coming out of the hole on top of the rocker arm, not alot but some at idle so whats going on? Do I really have 16 bad lifters or is there maybe something wrong with the head?
    VanMan,

Are you running a regrind cam(s). If so are your shims correct?

Or is this a stock setup and you are new to it? Maybe you have some components mixed in from another engine, a 2.4 or such.

Loose rockers does not sound good at all. As you know torque down the cam caps will load the valve springs and the rockers could not be loose.

Since the addition of the regring cam in my car I'm putting in a set of FWD "high rpm" lifters as mine chatter a little at idle but get a bit noisy after a good 3rd gear pull but it clears up in a minute or less. I'm checking my shim sizes too when it's apart soon.

Good Luck,
    Marion

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Turbo224's Avatar

How is your oil pressure at idle?

~Tyler Larsen~Salt Lake City~
    -92 Daytona R/T (T3/T4 Hybrid, Quaife, etc...)
    -86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Woody (winter beast)
    -01 Audi TT Quattro (daily driver)
    -71 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk tribute

Check out my Homepage

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

TurboJerry was playing with washers to act as 'side loading' shims. He had real success with it but he was just trying to quiet some of the ticking. He figureed out a specific sized washer, bronze IIRC. If you have real noise and the shafts are not upside down (you said the holes are lined up and you have oil) then maybe that wazoo regrind is suspect. These are the cams with the proprietary "Simon's STGII" grind right?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Thanks Alan but everything is STOCK, no regrinds, stock lifters, stock everything. The holes are lined up, its just the lifters aren't pumping up. I will have to check the oil pressure properly even though my factory guage reads nice and high, just like before. It could be when the head got welded, maybe they restricted a passage, that happened to someone if I remember correctly!!!
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

Did you swap any of the lifters and accidentally get the disk upside down? I could see that causing issues.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by 86Shelby View Post
    Did you swap any of the lifters and accidentally get the disk upside down? I could see that causing issues.

I put all the lifters in and made sure the discs were there, 3 little valleys facing up, IE lifter bottom.

Are they new lifters or used? I've found you really can't reinstall used lifters since the plastic "washer" that seals (goes around the lifter body) the lifter against the rocker is usually destroyed when they are removed from the rocker. Even if it's a good lifter, without that seal there, the oil drains down the side of the lifter itself, and never puts any pressure into the oil feed hole on the lifter. When this happens, they never pump up and make a racket.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Are they new lifters or used? I've found you really can't reinstall used lifters since the plastic "washer" that seals (goes around the lifter body) the lifter against the rocker is usually destroyed when they are removed from the rocker. Even if it's a good lifter, without that seal there, the oil drains down the side of the lifter itself, and never puts any pressure into the oil feed hole on the lifter. When this happens, they never pump up and make a racket.
    Man oh man, USED,

But bingo, sounds like you nailed it and makes total sense. CRAP.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Thanks Alan but everything is STOCK, no regrinds, stock lifters, stock everything. ..
    Good thing that 16v engines are cheaper to make power with... what are lifters like only $1400/set?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

"Only" $389

Simon, are these the lifters I sold/traded you? I even picked 16 of the nicest ones I had. Suckage!

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Good thing that 16v engines are cheaper to make power with... what are lifters like only $1400/set?

When I priced them from the dealer a few years back it was $160/ lifter, which came with the rocker arm. So that would be $2650 for a full set
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

I am going to play with O-rings and see what happens,

Nice JT, but your a little off? and remember, 2.4's are alot cheaper,

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post

Pat I remember discussion about this on the RTML many years ago and I thought the plastic piece was only to aid in assembly at the factory. When I bought new lifters for my old R/T from Mark Grant? back in the day they did not come with new plastic retainers, and worked fine once I installed them. I did soak them in oil for a few days first however.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
    Pat I remember discussion about this on the RTML many years ago and I thought the plastic piece was only to aid in assembly at the factory. When I bought new lifters for my old R/T from Mark Grant? back in the day they did not come with new plastic retainers, and worked fine once I installed them. I did soak them in oil for a few days first however.
    It does make sense, when I undid the rocker shaft, the lifters damn near fell out, so I could see how not having that plastic ring there could make the oil find the path of least resistance-around the lifter not thru it.

I'll see if I can use an o-ring and post up. Thank god the valve covers come off easy,

It does make sense, when I undid the rocker shaft, the lifters damn near fell out, so I could see how not having that plastic ring there could make the oil find the path of least resistance-around the lifter not thru it.

I'll see if I can use an o-ring and post up. Thank god the valve covers come off easy,
    I just picture a bunch of torn up O-rings clogging your oil pickup in the pan a week from now. Make sure whatever you devise is up to the task and won't fall apart.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
    I just picture a bunch of torn up O-rings clogging your oil pickup in the pan a week from now. Make sure whatever you devise is up to the task and won't fall apart.

Thanks, I'll make sure,

This is weird, just went for lunch and they were quiet? I wonder if it takes THAT long to quiet down. I've put about 400 km's on it so far.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast