Thread: willwood engineering

turbo addict

willwood engineering

Does anyone suggest getting brakes from Willwood if I can for the pbody or is it just better and cheaper to do a hybrid of stock brake components? PS lookings for the parts to do this.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Re: willwood engineering

I've never seen Wilwood make anything for our cars. The closest I've seen is kits for the PT.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Paul Deaton of the SF Bay area used to competatively roadrace his 89CSX on nothing more than stock rotors/calipers and good pads with high temp brake fluid. You really think you can tax your brakes harder than he did at Willow Springs and Sears point ?

I'm all for brake upgrades and have done them on nearly every TD I've owned but can't see needing more than the 11.25" set up from a GTC/RT/Mini on 99.5% of the TD's out there. Although, our (Brock Yates Jr's) '95 OLA Shelby Charger had six piston Alcon's with 12.5" two piece rotors and with the 16"X8" Jongbloods and sticky 225's, OMG did that thing stop !

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Yeah, I've got the RT 11's in the front, Ceramic pads, CD and slotted rotors and GODDAMN, I can put you thru the windshield and I haven't even put the rear disc on yet.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

yep, mine seems to want to lift the rear of the car and slam my face in the steering wheel
    I need a sticker on the inside that tells passengers that I'm not liable for injuries

turbo addict

Does anyone have the parts to do this then? Guess you guys are not familiar with the lack of available 'good' model parts in our jy's

What year is your car?

If it is a 92, its a piece of cake. All you need are rotors and calipers-you can buy those at the store and put any caliper back in the box for a core, hehe, and you'll need to scrounge up some caliper brackets, which shouldn't be too hard. Any RT, GTC or factory 15" wheel or Grand Mini from 91 and up will have the brackets. Then a 24mm MC from a 89 Minivan and your set,
    If you can't find any brackets, post up here or if none, I can try and find some.

I have some Ceramic pads, extra's for $50 plus shipping.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Austrian Dodge's Avatar

wilwood makes a kit for the srt-4's, those can be adapted to work with our TD's. i think it was somewere around $1700.00USD ... 13" rotor and a 4 piston caliper.
    that's what i'm shooting for

need to contact that guy again, so i can get more info...

turbo addict

I would love something like this. 16 pounds lighter on each wheel just for the brakes. Somehow these are apparently streetworthy in a 1400hp 3600# 3000gt.

Hybrid booster

I Just Want To Say, You Guys Are Great, But" Inmyshadow,' Has,did ,played,and Races With The Stock Dodge(caravan) Stuff ,and He Knows His Stuff,what Interchanges Very Well!,calipers/mster Cly ,for Less Than A Dinner,ok Kinda

I agree, non vented skinny rotors for the street, how?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    I agree, non vented skinny rotors for the street, how?
    I dont know. This guy seems to think they will work great. He is an absolute baller who basically created his own performance shop JUST to build his 3000gt's for "fun"

That is his slow car and it ran 9.62@152 on Summer tires and only 24psi boost. He actually set the 3000gt record that day this last july. He is tuning this weekend for 40psi on his twin gt4088's and shooting for 1400awhp before he turns the spray on.

Anyways he thinks those brakes would work. They seem really cool yet really stupid to me. The weight savings is an obvious huge factor. His car still weighs 3500# with driver so they must be able to stop him. I always thought a lot of the mass/weight in the rotars was meant for absorbing heat to prevent brake fade or something like that.

He actually took those brakes from his "race car" which is tube frame 3000gt with some of the stock chassis shell that will probably run twin gt4202's and straight meth.

I think he did it because he is obsessed with running an 8 on crappy street tires so he is doing everything he can to try to accomplish that. He doesnt have a chute so I wonder if he is going to die after hitting 170mph at the end of the 1/4?????????????

Yep, without a chute, me thinks he's not going to be able to stop.