Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BR intake manifold

turbo addict

BR intake manifold

hi,
    Just thought I'd link some pics to the intake I finished cutting today. Still needs to be welded up.

http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=2533

Hybrid booster

Re: BR intake manifold

What exactly did you cut?

Looks good tho

turbo addict

the openings for the runners, all the bolt holes, the length of the extrusion, and made the plate for the throttle body. The only thing I didn't touch was the plate with the 3 holes on the far end. That was purchased. On the next one though I'll make my own plate for that end. I don't like the vacuum ports being down there.

Hybrid booster

Why did you not go with the D plenum?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Looks sweet, hard to tell the scale, what kind of plenum volume did you end up with? Love the radious' around the runners

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Dez View Post
    Why did you not go with the D plenum?
    I didn't buy the material.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Looks sweet, hard to tell the scale, what kind of plenum volume did you end up with? Love the radious' around the runners

157 CI give or take a CI. It's as long as you can make it and still shove it in a Lbody and have room to shove a hose on the end so you can hook it up to the I/C

So 115% of displacement or so? What should the volume be? Maybe need to start a new thread on that.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    157 CI give or take a CI. It's as long as you can make it and still shove it in a Lbody and have room to shove a hose on the end so you can hook it up to the I/C

So 115% of displacement or so? What should the volume be? Maybe need to start a new thread on that.
    Bare minumum is 1.5X the volume of one cylinder so I'd say you are alright. Obviously bigger is better, keeps the cylinder pulses from fighting eachother.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

That looks very nice and familiar!

You should PM me about how much you would like for some of those TB plates. That would be splendid

Hybrid booster

Looks good

You might want to test that on a really fast car.......Oh..I mean minivan

turbo addict

Yeah we've had the material for a while. probably 3 months or so. And the idea for probably 7 years or more. Seeing you get yours up just motivated me to spend some extra time at work and get it all programmed up.

The plate is for a "58mm" TB in the pics. I use quotes as the POS necks down to 54mm before the blade and then opens up to 60 after it. Not much better than a 52mm in my opinion.

If I decide to make more than just this one and a couple for my cars I'll let you know Aaron. You have a preference on TB size?

Any rule of thumb for a radius on the ports? I just used a 45 dove tail cutter as it's what we had. I'd have to get a form tool made up to put a true radius on the inside ports unless I cut the plenum apart which I don't want to do. But if a Form too wasn't too expensive maybe I'd order one up. Although I kinda like the big 45's.

Got a couple different things I'm gonna do to mine that should make it a little better but I'll keep those to myself till it's done

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by gasketmaster View Post
    Looks good

hehe.

Yeah we've had the material for a while. probably 3 months or so. And the idea for probably 7 years or more. Seeing you get yours up just motivated me to spend some extra time at work and get it all programmed up.

The plate is for a "58mm" TB in the pics. I use quotes as the POS necks down to 54mm before the blade and then opens up to 60 after it. Not much better than a 52mm in my opinion.

If I decide to make more than just this one and a couple for my cars I'll let you know Aaron. You have a preference on TB size?

Any rule of thumb for a radius on the ports? I just used a 45 dove tail cutter as it's what we had. I'd have to get a form tool made up to put a true radius on the inside ports unless I cut the plenum apart which I don't want to do. But if a Form too wasn't too expensive maybe I'd order one up. Although I kinda like the big 45's.

Got a couple different things I'm gonna do to mine that should make it a little better but I'll keep those to myself till it's done

Alright, just let me know about the plates. It takes me a very long time to rough out the flange with a plasma, then hand port it, drill and tap it, and then hope that the TB clears fine. It appears you mounted yours upside down, perhaps that gave more room for the sensors.

As you mentioned, there's not much you can do with the plenum in one piece. That's why I cut mine apart and have a bottom plate machined, then weld it to the plenum in place of the original floor.

Whether or not there is a difference in flow between a radiused entry or the beveled style is uknown to me. All I know is that it's better than a straight hole!

You'll enjoy the gains. The Lonewolf prototype one I ran last year proved to be a major help, even with straight cut port entries, weld hanging through the seams, way oversized plenum, and a couple of other various problems.

Hybrid booster

Looks good

Buy the end plate material, and go in on the tube and me and jay can donate the work I'm sure. I will need the lower half of your 2 piece to port and polish, then I'll get it welded. The tube is expensive because you need 13.5" and they sell it at a 2' minimum, a reason why me and Jay are tag teaming this

The first one is getting rounded holes and is getting blended. Then I am taking it all over to the flow bench to see if the flow changed. The lower piece didn't have a rounded inlet (clay) and flowed only 2 CFM more without the upper piece. So I am hoping it will flow better just getting air into the lower piece better. I am also doing a plenum for a 655 head as well later. Jay has a ported and polished Ed Peters head, so he is OK as the 2 piece flows more than the head. I'm losing 15 CFM and would like to get as many back as I can.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Looks good

No,

Quote Originally Posted by 8valves View Post
    That looks very nice and familiar!

You should PM me about how much you would like for some of those TB plates. That would be splendid

I was going to say that too, lol!

Nice work Jay, are you going to do any back to back tests?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Nice work Jay, are you going to do any back to back tests?
    The closest thing that might happen in a back to back test might be Terry if Jay and terry are game. Jays car is getting a new head with his and a bigger TB. So his car is changine with the intake. My car is completely different than last it ran. Last I talked to Terry he was happy with his head and the rest of his setup, he may be willing to change just the intake

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 8valves View Post
    Alright, just let me know about the plates. It takes me a very long time to rough out the flange with a plasma, then hand port it, drill and tap it, and then hope that the TB clears fine. It appears you mounted yours upside down, perhaps that gave more room for the sensors.
    OMG a plasma? How about a hole saw? No the TB is mounted right side up. You'll need to use the TPS sensor that sticks out 90 degrees instead of straight back.

As you mentioned, there's not much you can do with the plenum in one piece. That's why I cut mine apart and have a bottom plate machined, then weld it to the plenum in place of the original floor.

yeah I didn't want to cut it and weld it back up. A form tool with an inside radius would work well if you wanted to put a true radius on it. But I don't know if you'd see any difference in flow.

Whether or not there is a difference in flow between a radiused entry or the beveled style is uknown to me. All I know is that it's better than a straight hole!

You'll enjoy the gains. The Lonewolf prototype one I ran last year proved to be a major help, even with straight cut port entries, weld hanging through the seams, way oversized plenum, and a couple of other various problems.
    I hope to see some good gains with it. IIRC you like to run 150% of total engine displacement?? At 115% for a 2.2 I was thinking of going a bit bigger on the non-lody cars because you can but I can't remember what total volume percentage you want.

OMG a plasma? How about a hole saw? No the TB is mounted right side up. You'll need to use the TPS sensor that sticks out 90 degrees instead of straight back.

yeah I didn't want to cut it and weld it back up. A form tool with an inside radius would work well if you wanted to put a true radius on it. But I don't know if you'd see any difference in flow.

I hope to see some good gains with it. IIRC you like to run 150% of total engine displacement?? At 115% for a 2.2 I was thinking of going a bit bigger on the non-lody cars because you can but I can't remember what total volume percentage you want.

Ha! I'm retarded. I got so used to looking at my old TB setup being upside down that I thought it was normal!! Plus I've been looking at running an SRT4 TB and they mount upside down on our flange as well. My apologies!

The plasma works great. It takes under 20 seconds to cut it out, doesn't warp it, and it's at my disposal. Not a lot to not like about it! 10 more minutes with a drill press and a porting bit and life is good. I did actually just go buy a nice hole saw set two days ago though, but that is for my header/intercooler piping primarily. I'll see if I can make good use of it with the aluminum plates.

I don't see any reason to go larger than a 3.5L plenum on our 8V cars. They just don't move enough air or run enough rpms to need any more in my opinion. Take it for what it's worth. I've seen some people have good luck with large plenums at low rpm, such as Russ Jerome on his friends Starlet I think it was? I didn't have that luck. Massive low rpm issues under 3K rpms, as the Lonewolf piece was somewhere around 4.5L. This is one area that is definately personal preference from what I've seen. Usually I look to the fast import race cars for inspriation and some general ideas, but this is one that doesn't apply there. Street driving and launching at 7K rpms are two different things. That's one of the few times you'll hear me say that too!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

You can turn the TPS around, thats what I had to do with my intake. The TPS hit the plenum so unbolted it, turned it around and problem solved,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

So which TB is it? Wasn't sure if it WAS a Neon TB or from a 3.xL v6.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast