Thread: port/gasket maatching is it ok...

Garrett booster

port/gasket maatching is it ok...

im going to be throwing the garrett on the motor once i get it and i figured id do a gasket and port match while the head is off is this safe to do given the right tools and not going hog wild.... thanks for the help.

hooker.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Re: port/gasket maatching is it ok...

Not really worth it. Port matching doesn't give you much of a gain, if at all... unless there is reversion from the ports not lining up. Meaning, the intake, port in the head is a bit off and smaller than the opening in the intake manifold.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Hybrid booster

You probably won't be gaining all that much just by gasket matching without any real port work. Especially since the exhaust port is waaay smaller than the gasket, you will just be making the end of the port near the manifold way large compared to the rest of the exhaust port. You also should be careful not to get the exhaust port larger than the manifold. The intake port is pretty close to the size of the gasket, but you probably won't find any gains by only bringing it out to gasket size.

You should disassemble the entire head before doing any grinding on it. If you want to pick up some gains but don't have much experience with porting, there are a few areas that can be worked to gain some flow without risking messing up the head. You can deshroud the material around the valves in the combustion chamber, and you can clean/blend everything in the bowls (round off the sharp machined edges and make a nicer transition from machined edge to casting). That should help pick up a few cfm and won't take to much time.

Hybrid booster

And I thought I was the only one scanning the forums on a saturday night!