Thread: Smoking under boost?

Mitsu booster

Smoking under boost?

Maybe you guys can give me some info or help with this. I have a 89 shelby daytona 2.2 T2/555. When under full boost, which is set at 15-16 psi, I see a lot of blue smoke when looking out of my rear view mirror. I'm not sure if it is coming from under the hood or out the exhaust pipe. Most likely it is from the tube that is supposed to go the the air box that is from the pcv. I have a lot of oil that is sitting on the transmission and that is sprayed underneath the car. I have only been driving this car for a few months and it seems like it is getting worse. Theres is also oil coming out from the oil fill cap and the dipstick tube. Is this sound like blowby? Once i did see a big puff of smoke when starting from a stop, but this was one time that i noticed. Any input would be great. Thanks, Matt

Hybrid booster

Re: Smoking under boost?

What you're describing sounds like blow by. If you have oil coming out the dip stick, oil fill and pcv, that's blow by.
    Most of these engines have at least some to a certain degree but it does sound like it's excessive on your engine.
    This is usually caused by either worn rings or in some cases a cracked or melted piston.
    A compression check can confirm this.

Oil out the tail pipe can be caused by the above and/or broken valve seals.

Good luck.

boostaholic

I recently had this problem with my 91 spirit r/t. Turns out my pcv tube coming off the block wasn't connected to anything and i had oil coming out of the oil cap and smoke out of the tailpipe. Once i reconnected everything as it should be including the line going to the airbox and vacuum hoses the leaking and smoking stopped.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I agree with Gaboon that you need to have a good look at the PCV setup.

boostaholic

exactly before you do anything just go over the whole pcv system

Hybrid booster

pull the intake tube off the turbo also and check the play in the turbo !!!!!

Norm