Thread: Heater Hose Size

Heater Hose Size

Not sure where to ask this, but is 5/8" the standard size for our cars or in general? Also, Do they make a plug or cover you can place on a coolant outlet? Like if you had a place where the coolant flowed through the line, but you wanted to cap it off temporarily or something?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Re: Heater Hose Size

5/8" sounds correct. The water heater hose inlet on the water pump is slightly larger however. I've seen caps for heater hose fittings, but not sure where you can get them.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
    5/8" sounds correct. The water heater hose inlet on the water pump is slightly larger however. I've seen caps for heater hose fittings, but not sure where you can get them.
    How did you know what I was talking about!? hehe Yeah, I need something to block that off, but don't know of what to do.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    How did you know what I was talking about!? hehe Yeah, I need something to block that off, but don't know of what to do.
    vice grips

Quote Originally Posted by JDAWG View Post
    vice grips
    Well when I say temporarily, I mean for longer than the car will be down. I have plans to re-route the line and need something to plug it up for the time being.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Use an old 13/16 spark plug, heater hose and a clamp.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Check your local radiator rebuilder. I'll bet they have some on hand.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

You can buy rubber caps in the Help! section of most auto parts stores. Check them routinely as they seem to dry rot rather quickly, but they work for a while. As for the difference in diameter between the heater core nipple and the water pump nipple, these cars came factory with a specific hose that had a larger end molded in. Gates still sold the hose last time I checked, but they also sell plastic adapters (5/8" x 3/4" if I remember correctly). This allows you to splice a section of larger hose to fit the water pump. The adapter was about $2 vs. the $20 for the factory fit hose, so guess what I did . . .