Thread: Help with lock-up convertor

Hybrid booster

Help with lock-up convertor

I am currently putting in a Superior Shift kit and one step is to either leave the lock-up as is or plate it to make a non lock-up.

My question what is the main difference in the set-ups?

I plan on running at the track but also some daily driving.

Had the option of full manual but I am not ready for that in this car yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

turbo addict

Re: Help with lock-up convertor

I dont know if youre looking for an explaination of "lock up" or not..........otherwise im not sure what the question is.

The torque convertor works like this......if you can picture two household electric fans facing each other......turn ONE on and it will blow air into the other and eventually they will reach almost the same speed. In a TC, one "fan" is connected to the crankshaft (pump), the other connected to the input shaft of the trans (turbine). When the pump turns it forces the fluid in the torque convertor into the turbine to spin it (and therefore turning the input shaft of the tranny). It is a fluid connection between the crank and input shaft. The lock up is a clutch operated by an electric solenoid which locks the pump and the turbine together (mechanically) at cruising speeds. This greatly reduces heat and inefficiency in the torque convertor and allows for better fuel mileage. I would keep the lock up.

turbo addict

Did the set of mods derived from the Mopar Performance shift kit to the valvebody in my lockup A670, and don't seem to be having any issues with lockup, but then this is N/A with only around 140HP so far.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

honestly, if you have a lockup converter, you might as well use the lockup.