Thread: no keys, how do i unlock the steering wheel?

Hybrid booster

no keys, how do i unlock the steering wheel?

i just bought a Spirit R/T and have a small problem. the car came with no keys, so i cannot move it until i have keys made for it. right now the car is sitting in the apartment parking lot where i live, but i would like to move it up to my garage (about half block distance away). i mostly want to do this because i can't lock the car doors and there is a high school literally on the other side of the fence and i don't want any kids messing around with it.

what do i need to do to get the steering wheel to unlock? do i need to pull the steering wheel? if so how do i disable the airbag?

TIA

------------------------------
    Joshua Mitchell
    '91 Spirit R/T
    '98 Regal GS

Re: no keys, how do i unlock the steering wheel?

Take the vin # to locksmith .They can make a key off the codes.
    OR remove the ign switch take that in.
    It requires a #20 and #15 TORX bit though. Tap the TORX bit or driver with a hammer to break the security tab inside the screw slot.
    Car thieves can remove the plastic steering column collar and modular Ign switch in about 30 sec.
    Unfortunatly our cars aren't the most secure.

Hybrid booster

those guys usually use what we call a GM key around here- a large hammer applied to the left side of the steering column. works on our cars too

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

I bought a 90 Shadow with no keys one time. I called a few locksmiths and the dealer and they were not able to make a key from the VIN number due to the age of the car and the fact that their system only went back about 10 years or so. Their quote was $90-100 to make a key for it if I brought the car to them.

I ended up just getting the ignition cylinder and all the locks from a friends' wrecked 90 Shadow and swapped them in. I had a set of the security torx bits so it wasn't a hard swap. The doors and trunk lock were worse to do than the ingnition.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

you can also take the steering wheel off and if I remember right you can disengage the locking mechanism (ie remove it) from there.
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

a 91 you are kind of pushing it trying to get a code from the vin, early 90's is when it started, the dealer may not have the tooling to do it anymore but they may be able to get a code to give to a locksmith

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Not sure what steering column you have but if the old GM saginaw, just remove the steering wheel, lock plate and take out the cylinder, if the newer style, as mentioned above.
    To disable the air bags, just unhook the battery and wait 5 mins then your good to go.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

An alternative to unlocking the wheel or getting keys is to simply jack up the front end of the car on a floor jack and drag the car around to where you want to go. Works pretty damn good, so long as you are on a smooth surface and not going up-hill too far. Having a buddy or two push while you steer is the ultimate in luxury!

Mike

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    To disable the air bags, just unhook the battery and wait 5 mins then your good to go.
    that is all i need to do? last thing i want to have happen is that thing going off in my face i have never worked on a column with an airbag before. how exactly do i pull the wheel off? i'm assuming the airbag needs to be removed in order to access the big nut and C-clip that holds the wheel on? or maybe it's completely different than a non-airbag column?

i think i'm just going to see if i can get keys by using the VIN. if that doesn't work i'll see if i can get a locksmith to make me some for the lock cylinders/ignition that is currently in the car. if all else fails, i'll just hunt down another A-body in the j/y that happens to have keys in it, and get all of the parts i need.

thanks!

---------------------------
    Joshua Mitchell
    '91 Dodge Spirit R/T
    '98 Buick Regal GS

turbo addict

cant you remove the lock cylinder? just take the plastic cover off and press its release button. then it slides out and you can use a pair of pliers to start it
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Hybrid booster

you usually have to have the keys to do that, and turn the lock to run or accessory.
    if worst comes to worst, you can always drill the lock cylinder out, but that's a PITA.

Hybrid booster

well i just talked to a local locksmith that says it will cost between $75-$100 to come out to the car and make key impressions. i think i'm just going to go that route since i need keys anyway.

thanks again
    ------------------------------
    Joshua Mitchell
    '91 Dodge Spirit R/T
    '98 Buick Regal GS

Hybrid booster

the previous owner found the key! he dropped it off with one of my friends at work. heck yeah that saves me alot of money.
    --------------------------------
    Joshau Mitchell
    '91 Dodge Spirit R/T
    '98 Buick Regal GS

Hybrid booster

That's damn lucky! Good show!