Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 95 common block?

turbo addict

95 common block?

Anyone every heard of such a thing? Friend of mine says he has a 2.5 he found at the jy in an 89 turbo caravan but says its a 95 block....

turbo addict

Re: 95 common block?

Might be a warranty block. I have one cast in 1995. Mine was cast in Mexico. Mine has the fuel pump cutout on it too, but has the webbing of the common block. It's a strange bird. Mine is a 2.2.
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by overlordsshadow View Post
    Anyone every heard of such a thing? Friend of mine says he has a 2.5 he found at the jy in an 89 turbo caravan but says its a 95 block....

turbo addict

Well there were '95 model year cars using the 2.5 in N/A form Spirit, LeBaron, caravan and dakota. But most of those were produced before the end of 1994. However, there might have been some runs of production before they took the 2.5 line down completely for mopar replacement engines.

turbo addict

Cool, will be nice if I can get a block that is only 12-13 years old.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Probably going to need to add your own turbo oil drainback, isn't there a boss for it anyway on the NA motors? Should be no big deal (not sure)but I have always had supply of turbo blocks round theses parts. pay thru the nose for them though ...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

This one is turbo

turbo addict

oh its a 95 turbo block, that is odd.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

turbo addict

Might be that it was a 95 replacement that had to have the drain back put on.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Here is the link to the cable for you guys that might be interested.
    http://www.mouser.com/search/Product...DLP-TTL232R-AJ

turbo addict

I didn't take down the casting marks but there is a sticker on the timing belt side that says the engine is built using 1995 components with a Chrysler Mexico logo. Block is seized but I looks like a good donor so far. No cracks from headbolt holes to water jackets anyway. Saturday or Sunday will tell us what the crank area looks like. I guess I will have spare crank and TII rods and maybe some stock bore pistons. One is melted due to a bad #1 injector.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Here is the link to the cable for you guys that might be interested.
    http://www.mouser.com/search/Product...DLP-TTL232R-AJ
    WTF are you talking about, I think you posted in the wrong thread,

I didn't take down the casting marks but there is a sticker on the timing belt side that says the engine is built using 1995 components with a Chrysler Mexico logo. Block is seized but I looks like a good donor so far. No cracks from headbolt holes to water jackets anyway. Saturday or Sunday will tell us what the crank area looks like. I guess I will have spare crank and TII rods and maybe some stock bore pistons. One is melted due to a bad #1 injector.
    How do you know it was a bad injector, maybe it was too much boost and not enough fuel?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    WTF are you talking about, I think you posted in the wrong thread,
    One too many windows for me to handle that night I guess.

turbo addict

Dunno, buddy said it was a bad number one injector. Who knows who cares. Seized right now. Hopefully it loosens by tomorrow. Good looking block as is.

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Any good machine shop cap drill out the boss for the drainback. Hey... non turbo blocks definately had less stress on them... More than likely a great option...
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

I have a 2.2L that has that same sticker but says 1997... it was a 12/12 warranty replacement for another 2.2L that I bought that had the same sticker but said 1996.

Mopar sold short and long blocks thru the parts department for a while after they stopped putting them in cars in the US in 1994. Anything '94 or newer that I have seen is "Made in Mexico" maybe cuz they sold 2.5L powered cars through the rest of the '90's?

There should be a part number on the sticker and a date cast into the back of the block. Also confirm if it is a 2.2L or 2.5L and if 2.2L if it is a cast or forged crank.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

Okay, cbshafts = 2.5 right? Oil pan is now my enemy! Charge!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Okay, cbshafts = 2.5 right? Oil pan is now my enemy! Charge!

You can tell is it has shafts by the shape of the pan, 'strait sided pan' has that room for the shafts, the pan with the sides 'chamfered' off is a non balence shaft pan. I think all the 2.2 pans have that little embossed relief area on the pan for the oil pump pick up but Im not certain You said the motor is seized? Is the head off yet, you seem pretty certain that there is no serious damage in there. With the pan on anything can be hiding in there... I like to take dissasembly pics it helps the diagnosis. Important to figure out what the problem is so it can be cured during the rebuild. keep the main bearings in their places or mark them so you can put them back after the rods/pistons come out. then put the crank back in and check for ease of rotation and end play. Both of those will help determine if you need to just put in new bearings or you are gonna need a line bore. Take your time on dissasmbly and document each problem you find Ever wonder whay so many guys do a 'rebuild' and then shortly after the motor is refired, they still have a problem ?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Good advice on the dis-assembly inspection right there

Straight side oil pan is a good indication it has balance shafts but they did make 2.2L with balance shafts (VNT motors) ... Obviously it is not the original motor in the car so the oil pan does need to be removed to know for sure either way.

Easy ID... 2.2L or 2.5L and/or a mopar part number should be on a sticker on the front of the block next to the "Made in Mexico"

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

This is just coming out for the block unless it ends up having a forged crank. I have a good crank and rods already undersized so the block is getting bored .020 over at least, and first step undersize on the crank journals. The motor did not come out of the last vehicle seized and head is off. It has just been sitting around. Got this from a friend not a jy.

Block should be good then

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast