Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Eibachs

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Problem with Eibachs

I have the Shadow Eibachs (forget part #) on my Shadow and one side sits about 3/8" higher than the other.

I have the Eibachs on the front right now because the car is getting a total overhaul starting with front suspension. No engine or tranny in the car, either. I converted all the '90 suspension over to '93-94 Shadow k-frame, control arms, and knuckles and used R/T brakes. Shouldn't be an issue there.... Everything in the front end is new, (balljoints, tie rods, wheel bearings, eibachs, Konis, upper and lower spring seats, too. with the exception of the strut plates which were replaced about 8 years ago/30,000 miles ago and felt ok)

I set the toe just roughed in but at zero the best I could. Camber seems to be sorta even just looking at it. (has some negative to it on both)

Could the camber have this much of an effect on the ride hieght since it's just sighted in? Or...is there something wrong with the Eibachs having one drop more than the other.

I swear....3/8" looks more like 2" from a far.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

turbo addict

Re: Problem with Eibachs

Steve ... you have no weight in the front end.

I know... but shouldn't the car sit evenly, or is there compensation in the strut tower for the difference in weight distribution of the engine/tranny combo? Or, are you saying they are going to set more evenly once there's a load on them ie: engine/tranny?

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

turbo addict

Yeah ... you have to have the weight (engine/trans) in there. It should even out once that's in. The block is heavier so the right side will set down farther.

Your post read like your doing a frontend alignment of sorts right now too? It'll all be out of whack once you reinstall the weight (drivetrain).

Quote Originally Posted by puppet View Post
    Yeah ... you have to have the weight (engine/trans) in there. It should even out once that's in. The block is heavier so the right side will set down farther.

Your post read like your doing a frontend alignment of sorts right now too? It'll all be out of whack once you reinstall the weight (drivetrain).
    I was hoping it would sit evenly once the engine was in, but that must mean it has some bias in the strut towers then.

As for the alignment... I know it will be all out of wack. Right now, it's at zero toe and once the engine will be in, I predict some negative toe...but how much, I am unsure of as I don't care to try and trig it out. I figure it'll be close enough to get me to an alingment shop or I'll set it again.

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

turbo addict

HAHAHHA you're measuring ride height and you don't have anything in the engine bay?????

No, not ride height Einstein. If you hadn't skimmed through the post, you'd see that I was asking if there was an issue with the eibachs I had, or something else at play like drivetrain not being in.

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Dude, you can't mess with that stuff or look at the car until the powertrain is in, thats like dialing in the cams without cams in place, Some kits have the drivers side sit higher so when you get in, it levels out.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Simon, I know. I'm not messing with anything until the engine is in. Just trying to find out if this is common, or there is an issue with the springs.

My fix: I have a couple 3/8+" spring seat spacers that came with the new spring seats. I'll have to use one on the driver's side if it doesn't sit right after drivetrain install, but I think everything will be fine.

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection View Post
    Simon, I know. I'm not messing with anything until the engine is in. Just trying to find out if this is common, or there is an issue with the springs.

My fix: I have a couple 3/8+" spring seat spacers that came with the new spring seats. I'll have to use one on the driver's side if it doesn't sit right after drivetrain install, but I think everything will be fine.

I bet with the engine in, it will sit fairly level.

And you give me crap for some of my threads,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    And you give me crap for some of my threads,

yes I do

Maybe I over-explained myself in my 1st post.

I swapped over the stamped arms setup to a cast arm setup with it's matching k-frame. Once everything was bolted together, the wheels pointed in big time. From the front leading edge of the tire, to it's back edge, there was a 3-1/2" difference from where my old rack/tie-rod setup had the wheels at. Looked like a-ss and I wanted it to roll a bit easier as well, so I set the toe for 0 to see what it comes out to when the engine is installed.

I'm ashamed you think I don't know that the suspension will be completely different once the drivetrain is back in.

So, temporarily looks-wise, that's why I set the toe and camber. Just seeing the car lean a tad had me wondering if it was the springs, or the chassis set that way until the uneven weight distribution of the drivetrain was back in place. I over explained myself again.

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

I'm ashamed to think I don't know that the suspension will be completely different once the drivetrain is back in.

turbo addict

No, not ride height Einstein. If you hadn't skimmed through the post, you'd see that I was asking if there was an issue with the eibachs I had, or something else at play like drivetrain not being in.
    I didn't skim through the post. I was laughing that you're checking it with the engine bay empty. And it is ride height, just a difference of from side to side. There's nothing wrong with with your springs, you have to have full weight in the front end. That's why if you read the part #'s on the springs they'll have one that ends in R and one that ends in L. Guess what those mean.

By the way nice post editing.

No, not ride height Einstein. Checking the way it is sitting w/out engine/tranny in.
    Sounds like ride height to me.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post

By the way nice post editing.

He never edited it.

turbo addict

according to the new post alert I got in my email this morning he did. His original reply was what he said after I said "nice post editing". You think I just imagined it???

according to the new post alert I got in my email this morning he did. His original reply was what he said after I said "nice post editing". You think I just imagined it???

Huh? I edited my post for mis-spellings back on my lunch hour at 12 and it was the post prior to you accusing me of which was typed on my lunch hour as well.

On TM, you have a certain time limit to edit your post (I am guessing due to being able to correct typos) and after that time limit, it will say below "posted last edited by directconnection at 9:35am...blah blah blah."

So, if I edited it, you'd see it below... even if I edited your post and said you cry during sex, you'd see that I was there, editing your post.

Back to the subject.... I know there's a drivers and passenger side specific spring as I 1st learned about this years ago when I 1st got my build sheet on my car listing them independently.

My issue seems to be (and it's funny I overlooked it last night) that one tire on the front is the like new tire from the rear, and the other is one of the burned off front tires (and looks to be down some on psi)

PS... I just added this in my edit mode at 10:29... notice no editing script yet below. I will do it again in 5-10 minutes at 10:39.

edit now...10:48...still nothing. hmm...

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

turbo addict

In post #13 I replied to your post #7. It was #7 you edited. The 1st quote is of your new edit, the 2nd quote in post #13 was your original which I recieved an email with it. So that's a lot of "spelling errors"

In post #13 I replied to your post #7. It was #7 you edited. The 1st quote is of your new edit, the 2nd quote in post #13 was your original which I recieved an email with it. So that's a lot of "spelling errors"

After reading it being posted, I must have figured I needed to explain it a bit better for you, so I must have edited it right after I posted it.

What's the problem?

12:17 pm is the time of the post. Your's was the night before. My lunch is 12-1. If I edited it much after the 12:17 it was posted... you see the edit proof at the bottom.

Again...what's the problem?

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

turbo addict

Don't the "L" and "R" refer to the wound direction of the springs?

Quote Originally Posted by puppet View Post
    Don't the "L" and "R" refer to the wound direction of the springs?
    Nope, means left and right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast