Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick Cometic torque question.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quick Cometic torque question.

So I searched on here, not really much info so checked Cometics FAQ's, very brief but basically there installed dry, nothing said about being reusable???? and torque to factory specs. Well in our case, there TTY bolts and I am using studs.

I was 85ft/lbs with an MP gasket so is that what I tighten it to now?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Quick Cometic torque question.

Since I did not have the near mirror finish on my block or head that is called out for by Cometic, I used copper coat spray. I have re-used the gasket twice and each time I clean the surfaces and spray all four surfaces with copper coat spray. No leaks. No blown gaskets. Not a lot of miles though as I lost the bottom end after the first use and then I cracked a Mahle after the second. Torqued to 85 lbs with the 11 mm ARP studs. Probably a good idea to re-torque after a few heat cycles.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Alright, thanks. Cometic says no retorque necessary and I never retorqued my MP gaskets either.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

I have reused mine 3 times. I just clean it up and spray the gasket with copper spray. I torque my head studs to 85 and I don't re-torque it.
    SDAC member "It's not the ride, it's the rider."

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

I didnt spray mine, Cometic said you dont have to cuz it is viton coated. I torqued it to ~85 ft-lb. I did notice that one rivet was under the head so I fitted the gasket on the block and drilled that rivet out before putting the head down. Didnt want to bend the gasket. This probably ruins re-use but I would never reuse one anyways.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    I didnt spray mine, Cometic said you dont have to cuz it is viton coated. I torqued it to ~85 ft-lb. I did notice that one rivet was under the head so I fitted the gasket on the block and drilled that rivet out before putting the head down. Didnt want to bend the gasket. This probably ruins re-use but I would never reuse one anyways.
    Alright, figured as much.

Good info on the rivet, I'll keep an eye out for that when putting the head back on.

Hybrid booster

No, they say to take the rivets out if you reuse them so that you can spray each layer and then install it. That's what I did on mine. Also I didnt spray mine the first time I installed it, but then I took it apart and sprayed each layer when I reused it.

I did not spry mine when I first installed it either. I left mine together the 3 times I reused it and just sprayed the outside layers.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    So I searched on here, not really much info so checked Cometics FAQ's, very brief but basically there installed dry, nothing said about being reusable???? and torque to factory specs. Well in our case, there TTY bolts and I am using studs.

I was 85ft/lbs with an MP gasket so is that what I tighten it to now?
    Simon,
    Torque is 71ft/lbs. with ARP lube and 90 ft/lbs. with 30wt oil per chart on back of ARP box for 11mm studs. BTW I notch the 8v heads for that one rivet that is under the head. Takes about one minute to do.
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Simon,
    Torque is 71ft/lbs. with ARP lube and 90 ft/lbs. with 30wt oil per chart on back of ARP box for 11mm studs. BTW I notch the 8v heads for that one rivet that is under the head. Takes about one minute to do.
    Todd
    Thats for stock applications though. Its been noted the head will lift at high boost running 70 ft/lbs.

turbo addict

Torque is usually specified as 75% of minimum yield strength of the fastener, so you could go to 95% if you feel brave and trust your block not to strip out.

I use arp molly lube and go to 85. I also don't have any problems with the rivets hitting.

Quote Originally Posted by slasky View Post
    I use arp molly lube and go to 85. I also don't have any problems with the rivets hitting.
    I always went 85 with my MP gasket and I have heard others have gone to 100 on higher boost engines.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by slasky View Post
    Scott,
    What head are you using? Every swirl head I have ever checked one rivet is under the head.
    Todd

One rivet was under on my "G" head...

Simon,
    Todd
    got pics?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

I took this rivet out, I probably could have left it but it would have pushed down on the gasket.

Scott,
    What head are you using? Every swirl head I have ever checked one rivet is under the head.
    Todd
    I use a swirlhead. The rivet may be under the head but I don't think it goes between the head and block.

Yes, it does not go between the head and the block, only under the head to bend the gasket down.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Yes, it does not go between the head and the block, only under the head to bend the gasket down.

With my ARP headstuds torqued down to 85 ft/lbs with moly lube, I don't think it is affecting anything.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

haha, I guess Im not the only one to reuse a Cometic with a little copperspray.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast