Thread: cranks shot..2.5 TIII running stage FWD stage 3?

Hybrid booster

cranks shot..2.5 TIII running stage FWD stage 3?

My machinest has gott'n back to me and has told me my crank is shot as it has wear on the "walls". First what would cause this? According to him, he thinks it has something todo with the tranny.

Secondly! finding a forged crank locally is a pain (cant find them, and if you do they cost an arm and a leg) But a 2.5 crank is easy as pie to find.

so, what if i had a 2.5 TIII running FWD stage 3 cal?? would this simply not work?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: cranks shot..2.5 TIII running stage FWD stage 3?

I had the same thing happen last week when I dropped off my TIII engine at the machine shop. The machinist immediately removed the #3 main cap and found my crank was shot because the thrust surface (aka wall) was worn too far and the crank had ~.050" end play! Could possibly be from a strong pressure plate, high miles, or abusive driving. I'm going 2.5L now too, lucked out and found one for cheap in the For Sale forum.

See also
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=17495

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

From what I read from Cliff, the stock TIII has too much timing, with some boost and the 2.5L, you pop head gaskets. I believe the S3 could have more but Cindy would know that one.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

It is possible to save the crank by welding up the thrust faces and re-grinding it to spec. It would likely wear better too because the filler rod would likely be harder than the base metal. Of course, that all costs $$, so if cost is the overriding factor, the 2.5 will be going in I'm sure. It does sound like a custom cal would be in order though, that or run a close to stock cal that wouldn't be so edgy. That's my .02, of course I've found that I have a lot of spare change lately so...

Mike

turbo addict

A 2.2 cast crank kit lists around $200 at most auto parts stores. And those include generally main bearings.

You would have to do some type of custom cal for it to live as a 2.5L.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Hybrid booster

found a crank localy..i think, this new crank has a casting # 5 AU written on it