Thread: SRT-4 Swap motor mounts

SRT-4 Swap motor mounts

Ok ive been searching the forums on this for a while here and still dont have a 100% definite answer.

I have an '04 SRT-4 engine, I want to put it in my '88 CSX-T. I would like to do what OhioRob did in his charger for the pass side mount, I pmed him and he said it was a '96 neon mount. The confusion comes in when I hear that 90s body TDs have a different motor mount setup than 80s TDs, and also ive gotten mixed facts on whether early 2.4 brackets will fit on an SRT-4 engine. also are the '96 stratus and neon bracket the same?

What all do I need to set the passenger side mounting up like ohiorob's and not have to use the "adapter" from neons.org?

thx

turbo addict

Re: SRT-4 Swap motor mounts

Quote Originally Posted by TurboBuggy View Post
    What all do I need to set the passenger side mounting up like ohiorob's and not have to use the "adapter" from neons.org?
    Basically you weld the mounts together to create one. I'm really not sure if the older 2.4 pass mount will work w/ the SRT motor, I would think it should because they are basically the same thing and I havent heard anything on neons.org that would be any different.

the neon and stratus brackets are different(hence the need for the "adapter) also the stratus has 2 diff types one for hyd tensioner and one for mechanical(SRT) tensioner. the actual mounts are different also I had a stratus one and was way too big to fit for the stock TD mounting bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedeuphoria View Post
    Basically you weld the mounts together to create one.
    He didnt say he welded it though, just that the bottom bolt hole needs moved in a little.

anybody?

on the srt-4 motor there is a cast steel plate on the front that the motor mount bolts to. on the mini I bolted a alum. bar to the top bolt hole and the bottom bolt hole and bolted the rubber mount to that. very simple.

ok I see how you did that now. But im worried about the strength of it.

What made you choose the bar over this method?

to keep the srt power steering pump.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiorob View Post
    to keep the srt power steering pump.
    ok I see.

In this picture is that a bracket off a dohc neon with a neon rubber mount attached?

yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiorob View Post
    yes it is.
    ok, thanks a ton dude now ive got everything sorted out and I can start putting things together

Mitsu booster

just wondering,
    that pic above is the mount out of a neon, right? so i lines up almost?
    it the motor in there square and positioned right?
    if so i'm going to get one.
    i found 3 in the junk yard

the one in the pics was from a 96 dohc neon some of the sohc may work. it's not a bolt in. it needs modified.

ok I see.

In this picture is that a bracket off a dohc neon with a neon rubber mount attached?

The mount does not look to be bolted down, but only resting by gravity. Wont it just hop out under load? How is the mount secured?

turbo addict

He then modified it to bolt down in-progress pic

turbo addict

here I found you a pic of it

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

The confusion comes in when I hear that 90s body TDs have a different motor mount setup than 80s TDs
    the deal with the difference between the 80's and 90's tds are the mounting bolt holes. 89 and older have narrower spacing between the bolt holes for the pass mount vs the later stuff. the center of the mount is still the same. the 90+ car has the same bolt spacing as the neon mount but the one bolt on the neon is a little offset so you have to grind the bolt hole in the mount to the center as speedeuphoria showed you.

so what you have to do is weld some new tabs at the same height as the older mount but space them out a little further and reinforce them so that the neon mount will sit on there and bolt down.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.