Thread: ripping engine down

Hybrid booster

ripping engine down

so i started to disassemble my TIII last night and i have noticed a few things

one of the plastic retain clips for the rocker arms fell apart when taking it out. Should i worry about anythign else being missing? When i buy a new one from cindy how do i go abouts installing it??

looking at the rollers of the rockers i noticed that they seem to have some wear on them. Is this normal? how bad can the wear get before i need to replace it? where to i get replacements?

Also when sending for cryo treating and DFLing do i need to take the rocker arms apart?

Also my #1 piston seems to have some damage at the front and rear of the engine! what would cause this and would anyone have 1 stock replacement or a set??

ill post pics in a bit

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: ripping engine down

The plastic retainers commonly get brittle and fall off, this is ok, but makes reassembly a royal PITA. Make sure you don't loose the disc, lifter or pivot point. They are not available and you either reuse them like I am or buy Cindys updated ones that have a metal retainer.

Wear is normal but if there pitting, the rollers are junk. I had the whole rocker arm cryoed but not coated. Check the cam lobes for wear.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Re: ripping engine down

Quote Originally Posted by WOP'R View Post
    so i started to disassemble my TIII last night and i have noticed a few things

one of the plastic retain clips for the rocker arms fell apart when taking it out. Should i worry about anythign else being missing? When i buy a new one from cindy how do i go abouts installing it??

looking at the rollers of the rockers i noticed that they seem to have some wear on them. Is this normal? how bad can the wear get before i need to replace it? where to i get replacements?

Also when sending for cryo treating and DFLing do i need to take the rocker arms apart?

Also my #1 piston seems to have some damage at the front and rear of the engine! what would cause this and would anyone have 1 stock replacement or a set??

ill post pics in a bit
    If any lifters fell out when you pulled the rocker shafts, make sure you didn't lose the tiny little shim that rests on top of the lifter. These little bastards skrewed me over once...

To install a new lifter just push it in, I put some oil on the o-ring to get it to slide in easier (some will take a little force). Just make sure the shim is above the lifter and situated the right way.