Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L body cruise control

Hybrid booster

L body cruise control

I got an 85 Omni GLHT that has cruise control on it. Only problem is I do not have a bracket for the module. Being a turbo L body I cannot seem to find a bracket or way to mount the module on the car. The previous owner rigged it to keep it on the car, but I want it on there right, so I need a bracket. I got one off a Rampage, but it will not work since that car was NA.

Anyone have any ideas on where I can find a bracket or how I can make one? The speedo cable operates through the cruise module so I need this fixed.
    Matt

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: L body cruise control

How hard would it be to convert to the latter style cruise servo? Would you have to swap electronics? I have the cruse setup off of an 86 omni including the turn signal stalk etc., but I want the latter servo for just the reason you posted. There has got to be an easy way around this problem.

Hybrid booster

I have no idea whatsoever. If I were to find an Omni in the junkyard with the electronic style I'd check into it, but can't find any Omni's with cruise at all, nor know how to hook that up.

Hybrid booster

Anyone out there have ANY turbo dodge with the cable driven cruise on it? If so I'd like some pics to give me an idea what I can do here.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgeglht View Post
    Anyone out there have ANY turbo dodge with the cable driven cruise on it? If so I'd like some pics to give me an idea what I can do here.
    Matt
    Is your car ICed? That is the only problem I can see with this. My turbo 600 came factory with the cable driven cruise

Hybrid booster

Nope, not ICed, but the original bracket was broken, gone or whathaveyou. I don't know the original placement, or bracket at all since it was all torn apart sitting in the back. That's why I've got the problem & need a picture of what I'm looking for & where it goes.

I could rig it back like the old owner from South Carolina had it, but it doesn't look right and causes the speedo to be off.
    Matt

Oh, it bolts to the battery tray. The bracket makes it to where the top of the unit sits about even with the top of the tray IIRC.

Hybrid booster

That much I gathered, since it has the original u nuts down there, but I don't know if I got the right bracket for it, thus the original problem exists. The one I got off the rampage bolts up down there, but puts the module right where the air box is. The oe bracket is broken so it won't go there. That's why I am in need of a diagram, drawing or pic of the bracket I'm looking to get or fabricate.

That much I gathered, since it has the original u nuts down there, but I don't know if I got the right bracket for it, thus the original problem exists. The one I got off the rampage bolts up down there, but puts the module right where the air box is. The oe bracket is broken so it won't go there. That's why I am in need of a diagram, drawing or pic of the bracket I'm looking to get or fabricate.
    I will try to take a pic of my omni bracket that I have in the garage. Actually I probably won"t be able to know which is which between the one off of my 600 and the one off the omni that I got in the yard. Either way it puts the unit in the same spot so it should not matter, especially sine the 600 came with the turbo.

Hybrid booster

That would be greatly appreciated so i know what I'm after. As a temporary fix I've got a non cruise speedo cable so I can drive the car but I really like the thought of having cruise since I got me a lead foot.

If you need anymore shots let me know.

Hybrid booster

Those are great thanks. That's the bracket I got from the Rampage. Just one question.. How does that mount? When I tried to mount it the cruise control was in the way of the air box. I'm assuming I was mounting it wrong, but not too sure.

I am pretty sure that those two holes in the bracket that you can see in the third pic are where the bolts pass through into the battery tray. I am not sure as to the orientation of everything once it is in the car for certain though, as it has been some time since I removed it.

Hybrid booster

I gotcha. I saw the holes you were referring to & just gotta figure out how it mounts. For now I'm prolly gonna remove the cruise mosule & worry about it when the car runs better.
    Matt

Hybrid booster

Well, If anyone has pics of the cable driven cruise control bolted on their turbo car please post them. The bracket I have will not work at all. No way unless I drive without an airbox on my car. I want the cruise control to stay on my car, but it's gonna be hooked up right or I'll just rip it out.
    Cordes, was your 600 T1?

Well, If anyone has pics of the cable driven cruise control bolted on their turbo car please post them. The bracket I have will not work at all. No way unless I drive without an airbox on my car. I want the cruise control to stay on my car, but it's gonna be hooked up right or I'll just rip it out.
    Cordes, was your 600 T1?
    Yes, the 600 was TI. I will dig around in the garage the next time I am in there, and try to figure out if there is a difference between the two brackets I have. There is also more room in the E body engine bay, so it might not surprise me if the bracket needed modification to work in the GLHT.

Hybrid booster

Thanks man, I appreciate your help on this
    Matt

Hybrid booster

Bump. Nobody but cordes and myself has cable driven cruise control?

Bump. Nobody but cordes and myself has cable driven cruise control?
    I looked at the bracket for the 600 when I found it yesterday, and it is different than the one I showed in the pics. I will have to try and take some more pics when I am out there next time so that you can see the difference.

Hybrid booster

Thanks man, you've been a great help. Glad someone is willing to help here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast