Thread: my plastic power steering pulley is destroyed!

Mitsu booster

my plastic power steering pulley is destroyed!

so i'm pulling into my driveway today and i hear a loud clunk and then a bunch of plastic pieces hitting the pavement and being dragged. i park it turn it off, notice my belt is dragging a now destroyed pulley. after inspection, found out its my power steering pulley. luckily for me autozone and other places don't sell just the single pulley and their PS pump doesn't come with a pulley attached. the only place i could find it was at a dealership for like +$60. but i know i can hit up a salvage yard right by my house. but anyways....

the car is a 1990 Dodge Dynasty 3.3L. from experience can anyone tell me what my best method is going about fixing this? the area is too cramped to get at it easily, and i'm wondering if the shaft is bent (so far not noticably). i'm gonna push it to my school either tonight or sometime before monday so i can use the lifts and have a shop area. but my questions are:

1) would it be wise to just remove the whole PS setup for a more easy to get at approach?

2) is it a wise idea to just grab a whole new pump if i can find a decent one at the salvage yard and just swap it in (just in case the shaft is bent)

any other comments are appreciated from anyone who has any backround knowledge with the 3.3L

-Devin

Re: my plastic power steering pulley is destroyed!

I would find a pump with a metal pulley. The first time I discovered they were using plastic was on a boat when it started overheating. I couldn't believe anyone went that cheap.

Mitsu booster

lol thats what i'm saying...when i heard plastic i was thinking "oh this won't be so bad"...then all the plastic pieces where ribbed...i was like "----..." lol

Mitsu booster

anyone know if the 3.0L PS pulley is the same size as the 3.3L? by chance or anything else thats identical that i can look for in a slavage yard? thanks

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Nothing wrong with plastic pulleys.

$60 is cheap,

You need a puller and an installer, there a press fit. You will probably have to remove the pump to do it. Getting a used one is probably not a bad idea if your in a rush.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Mitsu booster

i'm assuming i could use like a flywheel puller for smaller engines to pull the remaining bit off...but do i absolutely need an installer or could i just like take a round piece of wood with a hole big enough for the shaft and just take a hammer to it (or whatever i can find that would provide an even load all around the pulley.)?

Quote Originally Posted by snapcaked View Post
    i'm assuming i could use like a flywheel puller for smaller engines to pull the remaining bit off...but do i absolutely need an installer or could i just like take a round piece of wood with a hole big enough for the shaft and just take a hammer to it (or whatever i can find that would provide an even load all around the pulley.)?
    That might work to get it off but you can't smash it on, you'll destroy the pump. You can make one using a 3/8 course bolt, nut and washer if need be.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Mitsu booster

so i'm sorry if this kinda seems like a dumb question, but i haven't yet gotten the chance to actually look at how the pulley is on the PS pump and i'm kinda confused as to how to make an installer out of a course bolt, washer and nut. if you could explain it a little more i would greatly appreciate it. thanks

so i'm sorry if this kinda seems like a dumb question, but i haven't yet gotten the chance to actually look at how the pulley is on the PS pump and i'm kinda confused as to how to make an installer out of a course bolt, washer and nut. if you could explain it a little more i would greatly appreciate it. thanks

The center of the shaft is threaded, so you put the nut and washer-with that facing the pulley, then the pulley and screw the bolt into the shaft. Now hold the bolt and tighten the nut drawing the pulley on. You stop when the pulley hub is flush with the shaft.

Mitsu booster

thanks. well, today i got the PS pump out and now im waiting for a the dealership to call me back telling me they have my pulley, should be in tomorrow. lol i called a differnt dealer and got it for $35.50. lol idk how im gonna get the pump back in with the pulley on, but im sure i'll figure sumthin out.

thanks. well, today i got the PS pump out and now im waiting for a the dealership to call me back telling me they have my pulley, should be in tomorrow. lol i called a differnt dealer and got it for $35.50. lol idk how im gonna get the pump back in with the pulley on, but im sure i'll figure sumthin out.

Theres usually holes in the pulley so you can put the bolts for the pump back in.