Thread: Rear Disc Brakes in '84-'86?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Rear Disc Brakes in '84-'86?

Got involved in a discussion at work as to what Chrysler FWD cars were the first to have rear disc brakes. I was under the impression that the rear discs first made their appearance on '87 Daytonas, however the Chrysler parts catalogs shows rear disc brake availability on C and V bodies in earlier years. Anybody know for sure?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Re: Rear Disc Brakes in '84-'86?

well i seem to remember 86 c/s tona had rear disc. ive never seen rear discs on any of the early k-based cars beside that. cant even remember seeing an early laser (sp?) with discs.

Garrett booster

I know my 84 laser does not have disc. It is drum

turbo addict

C and V maybe but those aren't really kbased are they? I'm mean they're much bigger. Kbased would be the 87 Daytona and CSX/Lancer

turbo addict

My '86 Daytona CS does not have discs.

turbo addict

'87 was the first year of rear disc brakes on K-based cars. The Daytona Shelby Z(G-body), the Shelby CSX(P-body), and the Shelby Lancer(H-body) were the first 3. I *think*, IIRC, the true Shelby rear discs were different than the Chrysler ones as the Shelby versions used the internal drum type e-brake where the Chrysler ones used the crappy pull-cam type.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    '87 was the first year of rear disc brakes on K-based cars. The Daytona Shelby Z(G-body), the Shelby CSX(P-body), and the Shelby Lancer(H-body) were the first 3. I *think*, IIRC, the true Shelby rear discs were different than the Chrysler ones as the Shelby versions used the internal drum type e-brake where the Chrysler ones used the crappy pull-cam type.
    I'm pretty sure the internal drum e-brake only came on the vented rear discs such as the 89 daytona shelby..

turbo addict

bzzzt. internal drums came on the 87-88 shelby #'d cars with discs. Also any 89+ rear disc (11 or 10 inch) had the internal drum setup.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Correct on all counts. The Shelby rear discs were non-vented prototypes of the setups that came on '89-up G, J, and P bodies. Calipers, backing plate, and mounting hardware are specific to the 87-88 Shelby cars, all other parts interchange.