Thread: omni window crank came out!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

omni window crank came out!

It is freeking hot outside, and although my omni is now running, the drivers side window crank has come off in my hand. Not just the crank, but also the piece that goes into the door. I was able to remove the door panel and get the window back up by pushing the mechanism. Does the square drive piece that the actual crank attaches to just press in there? I can't seem to get it to go back in and turn anything. Should the square drive crank piece be rounded in the corners, or was that perfectly square to start with?

Re: omni window crank came out!

Bump. Someone has got to know what the deal is with this. I cant be the only guy to begin cranking the window only to have it come off in a manner fitting of planes trains and automobiles.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

They are not bolted on like a Shadow? Bummer...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    They are not bolted on like a Shadow? Bummer...
    The actual crank is screwed to the splined piece which actually does the cranking. It looks like that piece just presses in as best I can tell. However, that doesn't mean that it is necessarily the case. I would imagine that something could have broken off and gotten lodged in someplace that I can't see. Still a huge bummer though.

Shoot a e-mail to the Chicago list... Dave has a few Omni's he's parting out.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Shoot a e-mail to the Chicago list... Dave has a few Omni's he's parting out.
    Sounds good. I really hope I can fix it in a simple manner though. I will be honest and say that I would rather spring for a new door than have to drill out the rivets of the the mechanism and replace that.

If it is the big bore Al rivets they actually drill out fairly easily. Just use bolts to get it back in.

For now you should be able to press it in and maybe MacGyver some shiit like drill a hole thru it and use a bolt thru it and a nut and fender washer behind it?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

If it is the big bore Al rivets they actually drill out fairly easily. Just use bolts to get it back in.

For now you should be able to press it in and maybe MacGyver some shiit like drill a hole thru it and use a bolt thru it and a nut and fender washer behind it?
    I can hardly get my hand anywhere in that door due to the small openings in it. I will try to "press" it back in tomorrow with my DBH and then perhaps a little epoxy might be in order.

I can see it now, "hey Joy pass me the vise grips, I need to roll my window down."

Hybrid booster

I'm going to pick n pull for a dome light tomorrow so I'll take a look at it. I'll take my digital camera with me & snap a shot of it.

LOL... as long as she's down with that

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgeglht View Post
    I'm going to pick n pull for a dome light tomorrow so I'll take a look at it. I'll take my digital camera with me & snap a shot of it.
    Sweet thanks a bunch!

LOL... as long as she's down with that
    She puts up with a lot. (I finally found a use for that smiley) I think she would draw the line if it were her window though. She did make me replace the dead window motor in the shadow before she would agree to go to SDAC.

LOL... thats cool

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Hybrid booster

It was raining the entire time & since the digital cam is my dad's I couldn't take a shot of the mechanism. Didn't want it broken I guess. I'm gonna run back there on the next dry day & try again. Forgot another part I needed.

Hybrid booster

Got back there today when it wasn't raining so here's the pics I took. It's an 83 Omni driver window regulator pic, but it should be close. Hope they help
    Matt

Thanks, that does help some. It would appear as thought there is some sort of tension spring in the window crank dealie that has come out of there in mine. It looks like I will need to replace the assembly which is a real downer.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Sheesh - don't be such a brute! You just pulled the thing apart - spot welds and all!
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    Sheesh - don't be such a brute! You just pulled the thing apart - spot welds and all!
    IS that thing seriously spot welded together somehow? It did not look like it at all when it came out.

Hybrid booster

It isn't. I would have seen the spot welds on the car in the junkyard when I went there. Can't go back & look at it again, cuz they got rid of the car after only a couple weeks. Stupid.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgeglht View Post
    It isn't. I would have seen the spot welds on the car in the junkyard when I went there. Can't go back & look at it again, cuz they got rid of the car after only a couple weeks. Stupid.
    Matt
    Ok that is what I thought. Thanks for confirming that.

Hybrid booster

Not a problem. I just couldn't believe they already got rid of that Omni, since they normally keep the cars in the yard for a month. There was still lots on there that could have been sold.
    Matt