Thread: New Timing Belt

Garrett booster

New Timing Belt

I got my R/T running today. Put a new Gates T206 belt from Italy on it. Also re-greased the timing idler and tensioner pulleys. I set tension to 110 lbs per the FSM. I started the engine and let it idle until it got hot. I noticed at 1500 RPM there's a harmonic noise coming from the cam gear side of the head. It's not a rattle, tap or grinding sound. It's almost like a 'whirr'. It definately didnt do this before. I'm going to assume this is because the belt is tensioned more this time. But I wanted to double check with you guys first.

I drove the car about 25 miles, got home and re-checked tension. It shows 120 lbs at first. Then if I let it sit there it shows 110 lbs. I'm going to keep checking tension every day I think for the next few weeks.

Other than that, the car drives great.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Re: New Timing Belt

And what happened with the frustrating serp belt routing? Was it on the backside of one pulley? I replied last night but a dozen or so of my posts were lost in the forum reset

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Garrett booster

The belt was just too short. Somehow while it was sitting for the last month, it shrunk. It's the weirdest thing. I went out and got a new gatorback belt that was 1/2" longer. Did the trick.

Now it seems like the timing belt might be too tight.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I loosen the rocker shaft bolts up before setting tension on my TIIIs. This will take the valve spring load off the cam gears and make checking it much more consistent. There is a tightening/loosening sequence for the rocker shaft bolts.

Garrett booster

Yeah I did that procedure. I followed every step in the FSM. Looks like the belt is too tight. I need a garage. Working in this heat is going to kill me.