Thread: Slight issues after VB mods, no downshift on coasting.

turbo addict

Slight issues after VB mods, no downshift on coasting.

Hi folks,

Did the valvebody mods, drilled the plate, left the one ball out, shimmed the shuttle and bypass valves, blocked the accumulator, also added line pressure bleed hole per sticky.

Everything seems to be working great except, 1-2 is a little harsh, and it seems to downshift late when you coast in 3rd.... meaning, if you're coming up to traffic and lift off, just coast down to about 20mph/30kph, or a little lower, then squeeze the gas again to get moving as the traffic moves, it hasn't shifted down to 2nd, and it's thrashing the TC at ~1000 rpm in 3rd. Now, kickdown and part throttle kickdown is working okay, I know I could twitch the pedal and make it change, but in that situation, moving slow, you don't wanna overdo it and have it jump into someone's arse.

I'm not sure if this only happens if you don't touch the brake pedal, when I have lightly ridden the brake, it seems to have shifted down to 2. So I think it's shifting down at RPMs below 1000.

Not entirely sure this behaviour is too much different from stock, but it might have moved the point it changes down by a couple of hundred RPM and this makes it more noticeable. Typically, when it's occurring, I'm not wanting to take off fast, and a twitch on the gas would kick it down for me if I did, so it's not a critical driveability problem. I'm just more worried that it's thrashing the crap out of the torque convertor and gonna burn the fluid. If possible I'd like to know what to tweak to make sure it changes down sooner. I'm planning some towing with this, and taking off from that slow in 3 is probably gonna be baaad with a trailer or load.

The harshness of the 1-2 if anyone feels like chipping in for that, is a bit like you're low on fluid. I was actually low on fluid the first couple of runs and it was worse then, also the first shift of the day on a cold tranny is harder. So I was wondering if it's actually that my line pressure is a little on the low side. Hard to check because I've got the accumulator blocked. When mashing the gas hard it's fine, it's just when you're trying to drive "normal" easing it up to about 1500 rpm...

I've got the regulator dialled all the way out because of the 1/16 bleed hole. Didn't want to start off at some ridiculous PSI. So if it sounds like both issues might be line pressure related, I'll give it another turn or two.

thanks much for any wisdom

RW222

turbo addict

Re: Slight issues after VB mods, no downshift on coasting.

Hmmm think I've got the fluid level spot on now, 1-2 is either softening or I'm getting used to it. Not really having so much of an issue with that downshift now, maybe it was paranoia or maybe something was a little sticky and the new fluid got into it now.