Thread: Help with 5 speed swap

Garrett booster

Help with 5 speed swap

So my A413 pood out on me so i wan't to do a 5 speed swap. I already have a tranny,shifter and peddles lined up. The car is an 89 lebaron vert. What am i going to have to do to comlete this job. Does everything just bolt in? If someone could give me a detailed discription of what to do that would be great. I changed my tranny in the 88 before (A413 to A413) so i got that down lol. Is this job going to be a pain? Any help is much apreciated.

Thanks
    Brendan

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor jre97's Avatar

Re: Help with 5 speed swap

I noticed that you didn't have clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, clutch cable, clutch cable bracket that goes on the strut tower, or shifter cables on your list. Also if you're not changing the pedal bracket itself you'll have to make a stop for the clutch pedal to keep it from returning to far. There is an article about that in the turbo database on the dodgegarage.com . You will also have to cut a hole in the floor board to run the shifter cables through. There should be three dimples on the center hump toward the driver side, the center dimple is where the hole goes. I think I used an 1 1/4" hole saw and then put silicone on the cables and hole to seal it. If you run the cable through the auto hole they will bind up or not be long enough to hook up.

turbo addict

^^^^^Sounds about right^^^^^

Need anymore help let me know, also down a 413-520 swap. Should take a day or two.

Garrett booster

Yeh im looking at getting a built 555. I will definatly be asking for more help one the time comes. Thanks guys

Hybrid booster

you might consider just buying a new flywheel, parts america has them for right around $40.
    grab the clutch cable, and the shifter cables while your at it.
    and count on replacing the clutch cable, got mine at NAPA for $23.
    but if you get the old one you'll get the bracket.
    it's not too bad of a swap, it took me 2 day's on my '86 lebaron going from a 413 to a 523. i probably could have had it done in 1.5, but i wasn't working that hard at it

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by jre97 View Post
    . If you run the cable through the auto hole they will bind up or not be long enough to hook up.
    this is definitely true, don't ask how i know

Garrett booster

So im getting the tranny next weekend. 555,phantom grip, Built by dean stillie. Everything is coming with it including a short shifter