Thread: Odometer doesnt work

turbo addict

Odometer doesnt work

Well when i bought my daytona the odometer didnt work. Well i know ive read that the little plastic gears in the cluster go out then the odometer doesnt work anymore. would the speed sensor being bad effect things, it (use to) work untill maybe 45 that was it. but since the headgasket blew ben (topdollar69) helped me put in another, found out the old one was striped somewhat. NOw that the speed sensor is replaced would that have fixed it. i pulled the cluster last night didnt see a striped gear, but i dont really know what to look for, for sure. How can i fix this, i dont wanna rip apart the cluster, ive had bad experences with that (needles being off after) any thoughts. o and when we pulled the speed sensor there was atf fluid in the trans which is now drained. So i know ive heard 5w30, 10w30, and 10w40 for fluid in the trans not sure on which one for sure. The car has a a555 just so you guys know. how much fluid does it hold, what weight should i use, and what brand? quakerstate, valvoline?

Re: Odometer doesnt work

They don't strip, per se. Rather, a tooth comes off the little blue planetary gear and jams it. You have to pull the stepper motor out to get access to it. It can be done without removing the needle with some care. I had to do this because I couldn't remove the needle with fear of ruining it. One of the screws for the motor is obstructed by the plastic light pipe backlight bits. The best thing to do it drill a hole to get access. I wasn't able to quite swing the motor out, so I removed the 3 tiny screws from behind the cluster face. This gives enough movement to remove the motor.

turbo addict

also i noticed the speedo doesnt seem like it works over 55

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 1966 dart wagon View Post
    o and when we pulled the speed sensor there was atf fluid in the trans which is now drained. So i know ive heard 5w30, 10w30, and 10w40 for fluid in the trans not sure on which one for sure. The car has a a555 just so you guys know. how much fluid does it hold, what weight should i use, and what brand? quakerstate, valvoline?
    ATF is OK. If I remember right, 5w30 or 10w30 dino oil is what they get from the factory. Don't use synthetic motor oils, too slick for the synchros. Normally when I drain one of my manual transaxles I fill it back up with Redline MTL.

Do not use ATF! 5W30 is what my 89 Chrysler service manual says to use for lube in manual transaxles on FWD cars. Although ATF is probably better than filling the transmission with something like sand I would suggest putting either in your car.
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

Although highly unlikely, the speed sensor I gave you might be bad also. We may also want to inspect the wiring a little better since some of it is kind of iffy looking. I would think if the gear was bad on the speedo that it wouldn't work at all, but I've never had one with that problem so I can't say for sure.
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

turbo addict

well i finally got the guts to go on the interstate with her and was following others going 60 or so, so i assume my speedo is off a couple mph(speed limit was 65) its weird that the speedo i guess works yet the odometer doesn't, o and at one point the speedo was dead, when i replaced my axle, i pulled the speed sensor plug and cleaned it now it for sure works.

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

The ODO is driven off of some gears in the cluster. They are known to go bad fairly regularly. There is a company that reproduces them, but they are slighly expensive... Thus I use my traveler for distance measurements

Both gears are needed for 100% fix: so ~$50 plus shipping.
    http://www.odometergears.com/subpages/chrydod.html
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Is there a How to with pics on this fix???