Thread: Charging problem...

turbo addict

Charging problem...

Last week I diagnosed that my alternator had gone out on me so I had it sent to a local gentleman (very reputable) who rebuilt it for me. I got everything installed again last night and drove the car (T2 converted SC) 22 miles one way up to my school. Everything checked out fine on the way there. On the way home however, my volt gauge started going nuts. When I would accelerate, the voltage would jump up to 17-18 until I'd push in the clutch and it would go back down to normal. After I finally got it home, I got a code 46 which comes as a voltage regulator fault. I changed the power module now so should I have anything else to worry about?

turbo addict

Re: Charging problem...

Quote Originally Posted by 85shelbycharger View Post
    so should I have anything else to worry about?
    Yeah, those radio waves man, they fry your brain, and the gubbmint is controlling your thinking with them, best wear a reynolds wrap liner in your ballcap man. (You can just wear a foil cap but then ppl think you're odd)

Ummm I mean, no, unless the reference voltage from your SMEC/SBEC or whatever it was in '85 has gone screwy. However grounding faults can have the gauges leaping all over the place and mess up the alternator output because the ground point is floating. Maybe wanna check all grounds with a DVM back to the battery and if there's any more than .2V drop there's probably a problem.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

What he said and take it to a shop with an alt tester that can check it on the car and see if the diodes took a crap.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

+1...it sounds like you have an intermittent ground under the hood.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by RoadWarrior222 View Post
    Yeah, those radio waves man, they fry your brain, and the gubbmint is controlling your thinking with them, best wear a reynolds wrap liner in your ballcap man. (You can just wear a foil cap but then ppl think you're odd)

Ummm I mean, no, unless the reference voltage from your SMEC/SBEC or whatever it was in '85 has gone screwy. However grounding faults can have the gauges leaping all over the place and mess up the alternator output because the ground point is floating. Maybe wanna check all grounds with a DVM back to the battery and if there's any more than .2V drop there's probably a problem.
    What exactly is a DVM?? Diagnostic Volt Meter?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    What he said and take it to a shop with an alt tester that can check it on the car and see if the diodes took a crap.
    I took it down to the guy who rebuilt the alternator today and he hooked up an alternator tester and he said it was fine. After I told him what it had been doing however, he said if it keeps spiking like it is then I need to buy some sort of voltage regulator bypass hick-a-ma-doo? I don't know...
    But everything in the alternator is new: brushes, diodes, etc. so I don't really think they could have crapped out already...

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMopar View Post
    +1...it sounds like you have an intermittent ground under the hood.
    I'm going to check over all of the grounds now because like I said, this only happens every so often and usually only when I am accelerating. As soon as I let off of the throttle though, it goes back to normal.

turbo addict

DVM= Digital Volt Meter, meaning any digital test meter or multimeter with a suitable low voltage range.

I took it down to the guy who rebuilt the alternator today and he hooked up an alternator tester and he said it was fine. After I told him what it had been doing however, he said if it keeps spiking like it is then I need to buy some sort of voltage regulator bypass hick-a-ma-doo? I don't know...
    But everything in the alternator is new: brushes, diodes, etc. so I don't really think they could have crapped out already...

On the car or off? I never liked off the car testers. I've seen new parts last years or sec's, you never know anymore.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

LM fixed one car I had, I thought the PM controlled it but I had a spare LM and put it in and the problem went away

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by RoadWarrior222 View Post
    DVM= Digital Volt Meter, meaning any digital test meter or multimeter with a suitable low voltage range.
    Thanks

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    On the car or off? I never liked off the car testers. I've seen new parts last years or sec's, you never know anymore.

It was on the car. I drove the car down, got hit on by a 42 year old and had him check the alternator.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by JDAWG View Post
    LM fixed one car I had, I thought the PM controlled it but I had a spare LM and put it in and the problem went away

Hmm...that's very interesting because I am getting a code 53 for an internal logic module fault Perhaps this could be the problem

It was on the car. I drove the car down, got hit on by a 42 year old and had him check the alternator.
    Hehehehehe.

boostaholic

I read a thread about installing an external voltage reg. somewhere, it's a peice of cake to do. I'd try running extra ground wires to the mod. + alt. first.

Hybrid booster

my voltage reg .took a crap a while back and i had to have my friends friend come from his electric shop and bypass the reg. so i didnt either exsplode the batt or fri something ,oh by the way the car is a 93 shadow and the gauge we put on was reading as high as 16 or 17 volts then it would jump the other way to like 8volts . it was really messed up cause im not really electrically incliend. sounds like the simular to yours