Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crankcase EVAC with pics

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

Crankcase EVAC with pics

Gonna try it out at the track this weekend. I know it pulls some good vacuum at the oil filler cap, but I haven't stuck a gauge on it....yet.

Only thing I'm concerned with is if the Lowe's 5/8" braided clear PVC hose can take the heat going down the firewall like it is. I think I may be able to get some high temperature rubber to cover them, or I may have to make a heat shield or something. Ideas? Think it'll take the heat? I do know that my cheapo JC Whitney wire loom can take the heat in that area, as I've melted a bunch of it trying to cover up my o2 wires. But the wires and o2 plug take it just fine, as well as my wideband o2 cable. You can see this stuff in the pics.

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

Re: Crankcase EVAC with pics

Here's the pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	checkvalves1.JPG 
Views:	355 
Size:	194.0 KB 
ID:	5438   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	checkvalves2.JPG 
Views:	310 
Size:	174.4 KB 
ID:	5439   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	firewall1.JPG 
Views:	296 
Size:	204.2 KB 
ID:	5440   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	firewall2.JPG 
Views:	308 
Size:	215.3 KB 
ID:	5441   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hoses1.JPG 
Views:	320 
Size:	186.5 KB 
ID:	5442   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lowesautoparts.JPG 
Views:	276 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	5443  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	underhood1.JPG 
Views:	300 
Size:	186.3 KB 
ID:	5444   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	underhood2.JPG 
Views:	325 
Size:	227.1 KB 
ID:	5445  

03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

That looks pretty good. I would think that it would think that this should work pretty well. Are do you have a breather hooked up anywhere? I though I read about you driving your car on the street on occasion to work and such. I think I recall Russ Jerome using a setup like that and it caused a little too much suction at freeway speeds?

I had a setup like this years ago with a single venturi tube.....it didn't suck much at all. I tried two tubes this time and placed them further downstream and at a better angle....it sucks now...at least at idle it does! Haven't tried any other speed/load yet. No, there are no breathers.

I'd like to put a gauge on it to find out what it does when I cruise down the road, and then what it does when I'm on it.

03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
    I had a setup like this years ago with a single venturi tube.....it didn't suck much at all. I tried two tubes this time and placed them further downstream and at a better angle....it sucks now...at least at idle it does! Haven't tried any other speed/load yet. No, there are no breathers.

I'd like to put a gauge on it to find out what it does when I cruise down the road, and then what it does when I'm on it.
    James,

I had a single setup in the downpipe of Whitey. It pulled PLENTY of vacuum on the crankcase for *that* car's setup (realizing your's will be MUCH different). With 24 lbs. boost on an all stock 150,000 2.5 I had zero problems with crankcase pressurization...but I did have to plumb in a breather...because when I lifted the throttle there was so much vacuum present that there was a nice James Bond smoke screen out the tailpipe when cruising down the interstate and lifting the throttle

turbo addict

I'm interested to see how it works also. I've read up on some people's setups, some work and some don't.

Supposedly its better to pull vac below the rings, this also helps pull oil down the drains. Hard to accomplish unless using a hybrid. I am going to test pulling vac(just normal cc to intake vac) from the dipstick tube, it shouldnt suck up oil but also the dipstick tube is rather small dia, we'll see.

Are you using the mr gasket setup/checkvalves? I've heard people try those and not pull well, then also see positive pressure, thats why I decided just to go w/ a cc route. But have kept this idea on teh back burner for others to further test it.

Wrap it with aluminum foil.To reflect the heat.

BADANDY, were you using a breather setup or catchcan? I figured if it smokescreens then I'll add a catchcan. I'm just gonna take the breathers with me to the track this weekend (wimport faceoff Columbus, OH) so if it doesn't work I can take off the hoses real quick and put on the breathers.

I used the Mr. Gasket kit on my setup years ago and I had some vacuum and some pressure. I bought the Moroso kit this time. Looks the same but seems to work much better. A little more pricey though.

03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor "Top Fuel" Bender's Avatar

Years ago I tried a small catch can in between with a single evac. setup on my downpipe but I think my mistake was sucking thru the fuel pump block-off
    Tried it on the dyno and sucked 3/4's quart of oil out of the engine the 1st time I deceled after a pull

Your setup looks alot better
    And I'm sure you took it out for a few runs already

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
    BADANDY, were you using a breather setup or catchcan? I figured if it smokescreens then I'll add a catchcan. I'm just gonna take the breathers with me to the track this weekend (wimport faceoff Columbus, OH) so if it doesn't work I can take off the hoses real quick and put on the breathers.

I used the Mr. Gasket kit on my setup years ago and I had some vacuum and some pressure. I bought the Moroso kit this time. Looks the same but seems to work much better. A little more pricey though.
    I was using a breather setup. It was a Moroso kit if I remember correctly. I would be willing to bet if you used one breather and one crankcase vent you will be in good shape I would think that a 150,000 motor would have quite a bit more blow by than a nicely sealed up bottom end like yours but taking boost pressure differences in the two cars into account who knows? I know it worked well enough that I will definitely go back to it again.

turbo addict

I don't think that those hoses will survive though. They'll get soft and collapse from the interior heat. The 5/8" ID silicone hose should hold up .. but it's kind of pricey.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Looks good. I'm interested to see how it works... I usually just vent the VC pipes to the atmosphere but some suction could help.

Rubber heater hose should work fine too, except where it connects to the exhaust pipe if the exhaust is hot, then silicone is better.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

The heater hose *sweats* really bad when used with oil. I remember that from last time I had the setup and Matt Wright confirmed that as well.

Matt is using this hose, but only from the valve cover to catch can. It seems to be holding up very well for him. He drives his car long distances to get to the tracks.

I'm making a heat shield to cover the hoses on the firewall tonight. Hopefully that will give them some protection.

I haven't tried this setup yet. The car is still sitting on my lift. I do know that at idle there is a lot of vacuum at the oil filler cap.

I wouldn't consider this motor very *sealed up*. It has had A TON of passes on it and could really use a re-ringing. It's been in there for 4 or more years.

03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's

Yeah, it's the radiant heat after shutdown that will cause the most issues, probably. Maybe you can do silicone for a couple of feet until you are away from the exhaust.

Good point about the sweat, guess it never bothered me too much

McMaster Carr sells Silicone hose, but most exhaust shops and some auto parts stores do too for replacement air pump to cat hose.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

I have some silcone hose (the blue with inner pink lining), but I didn't have enough. I like the clear though so you can see how much oil is in the lines.

If it causes a problem, I'll go with the silicone. I didn't know that McMaster sold it....cool. I used to get it from a friend that worked at a local truck shop....but the truck shop moved and got much bigger (more workers), I doubt I can get any more. They aren't a retail type place.

The silcone can take that much more heat? I use it for my oil return on my turbo, but it isn't all that hot there I don't think.

03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's

Yeah, good silicone can attach right to the converter... so like what, 800°F ?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Yeah, good silicone can attach right to the converter... so like what, 800°F ?
    That is pretty close. I think most of it is rated to 700 and some odd degrees.

boostaholic

I may change over to the silicon hose now after reading this,Im using the single tube with a catch can inline with it.Im having no problems as of now its the first time of driving and no oil any were on the engine.

I looked on www.mcmastercarr.com but didn't find any I don't think....kinda hard to tell from the black and white pictures.

Autozone? Advance?

03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast