Thread: Brake Problem

Garrett booster

Brake Problem

Test driving my 85 Daytona Z the brakes hinted at a problem. Checked them and all was well with the wheel cylinders but still the front left would not work and for some reason there was no release when bleeding it.
    I finally pulled off the proportioning valve and had to break all the rusty fittings. I happened to look at the connection from the master cylinder to the line for the left front and there at the flair it was blocked. Looks as though whoever flared it left part of the flaring tool in there. No wonder no pressure was getting to the left front cylinder. The spring for the valve controlling the left front and rear right brakes had been removed.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Brake Problem

Quote Originally Posted by 85LEBARON View Post
    Test driving my 85 Daytona Z the brakes hinted at a problem. Checked them and all was well with the wheel cylinders but still the front left would not work and for some reason there was no release when bleeding it.
    I finally pulled off the proportioning valve and had to break all the rusty fittings. I happened to look at the connection from the master cylinder to the line for the left front and there at the flair it was blocked. Looks as though whoever flared it left part of the flaring tool in there. No wonder no pressure was getting to the left front cylinder. The spring for the valve controlling the left front and rear right brakes had been removed.

That spring doesn't control anything. Its simply a check valve so to speak, so when one circuit loses fluid, the valve moves over blocking anymore leaking and lets the other circuit work so you have brakes.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

The proportioning valve which I replaced it with has a spring in both sides. I am assuming that all proportioning valves should have a spring each side and that, in this case, whoever screwed up the flair removed the spring to try and get the P valve working but gave up and left the brakes half working and dangerous.
    More than anything I was looking to provide a situation which might be of assistance to anyone who runs into the same problem, and instead of scratching their head, like I was, a light would go on, experience would kick in and they could save themself frustration and time.
    But I always appreciate your knowledge and comments, thanks Simon.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Yep, thats good info Norm,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info