Page 46 of 54 FirstFirst ... 36424344454647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shelby CSX-VNT Owner's Thread

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Re: The Shelby CSX-VNT Owner's Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bfarroo View Post
    Yeah I have the poly mounts all around in the daytona with a solid strut preloading the engine and don't find it all that bad. Maybe what I'll plan is to get the parts store ones now to get by and when the full restoration gets underway I can make the decision then. Although I guess I could look at it that the money I spend now on the parts store pieces could be put toward the poly mounts. Decisions decisions.
    One poly mount in the front/lower to control rotation and stock Mopar everywhere else. Parts store/Rock auto Chines/Indian stuff? Absolute garbage

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Anyone have a depth dimension or source for the aluminum rivets that hold the GFX on the side? I know they are 1/4 with a 1/2 head but don't know the exact depth. I looked at the normal hardware stores but they don't carry any that large. I'll check some of the fastener places this week and see what I can come up with. I'm guessing the depth will need to be 1/2" or so.

Hybrid booster

the ones om mine where plastic and fanned out , except i think the center was metal
    like this http://www.tannerbolt.com/products/F...20PACKAGE.aspx

Anyone else able to verify what held on the side gfx from Shelby? Plastic ones would be easier.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor CNH320's Avatar

Benji,

dia 1/2" black plastic on mine. Looks like it'd need to be between 3/8" and 1/2" deep to get into the door sill.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rivet.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	462.6 KB 
ID:	49826
    -Chris H
    1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #91 E85 Powered
    2012 Dodge Charger SRT8

Shelby Dodge Auto Club National Member

SDAC Great Lakes Chapter & SDAC Ontario Chapter Member

I swear these things were put together with whatever was laying around at the time unless they've all been wrecked. I've looked through pictures I've taken from past SDAC's and every car is different in how the front, rear, and side GFX mount. Some have the christmas tree push style, some the black plastic rivets, some red plastic rivets, some aluminum rivets, some have bolts, my front GFX had 3 small sheet metal screws not the big 1/4" fasteners that everyone else seems to have. I'm wondering if the front was replaced at some point in time and they didn't drill it out. I may just get those plastic ones, it will just make things easier if I want to remove them GFX in the future.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

About 20 years ago we were at the SoCal 1st Thursday meet comparing the different locations of factory decals on 3 87 GLHS's. We were surprised that each was in a different spot. Tim P. (who was working at Shelby Inc at the time) Shrugged if off and said, "Yeah, just depends on whatever Minimum wage(immigrant worker euphemism here) earner was on the line that day" Doesn't sound like quality control was as important as churning out finished product

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

That's really interesting. I've always envisioned a bunch of white lab coat guys running around to inspect every last detail of the cars which were modified by the best mechanics in all of the land while Shelby himself gave direction as if conducting an orchestra. I guess reality is a lot different than how the past would have occurred if it played out the way we dream about it.

Anyone know how the gfx door molding comes off. One side is faded really bad and I want to remove it to paint it as the door still looks good and I don't want to try and mask it off. I'm hoping it's just a few bolts/studs and not double sided tape.

Anyone know how the gfx door molding comes off. One side is faded really bad and I want to remove it to paint it as the door still looks good and I don't want to try and mask it off. I'm hoping it's just a few bolts/studs and not double sided tape.
    I'm not 100% certain, but I believe it is just tape. As you are probably aware, I would be extra careful removing it to avoid bending the internal support which on another car I had was a thin strip of metal. Body shop tried to re-use it after a wreck and did not pull it off correctly and pretty much ruined it and a new one had to be installed. I'd consider using an exacto and slowly and steadily slicing through the tape from the top or bottom from left to right, unless there is an easier and simpler way to do it.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

theres a few small screws in the lower lip of the door, at each corner and 1 or 2 in the middle that need to be removed the top is just double sided tape

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    I'm not 100% certain, but I believe it is just tape. As you are probably aware, I would be extra careful removing it to avoid bending the internal support which on another car I had was a thin strip of metal. Body shop tried to re-use it after a wreck and did not pull it off correctly and pretty much ruined it and a new one had to be installed. I'd consider using an exacto and slowly and steadily slicing through the tape from the top or bottom from left to right, unless there is an easier and simpler way to do it.
    It is tape PLUS 3 screws along the bottom, look inside the door along the very bottom and you should see them. I use a long knife (used for cutting our windshields , but a razor blade or exacto knife would work. I had to apply a decent pulling pressure on the piece and make a few passes going deeper and deeper through the tape. Mine had 2 strips of tape on on top and then you can pull it back a bit to reach the strip further down. but Remove the Screws first

EDIT: Fox beat me to the screws thing

Sorry, thought that one was obvious. The screws/nuts are visible in plain sight. Thought he was asking about the black molding strip that sits above it.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Man I may see if I can do it on the car. We'll see how much time I have left once everything else is done.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Sorry, thought that one was obvious. The screws/nuts are visible in plain sight. Thought he was asking about the black molding strip that sits above it.
    That makes sense why you were talking about the support, yeah if you dont store them laying flat it can cause them to go and stay all wavy

Hybrid booster

but the csx ones are fiberglass there isn't a metal support in them, well there isnt in mine...

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    but the csx ones are fiberglass there isn't a metal support in them, well there isnt in mine...
    he is talking about the rubber bumper strip that are on most shadows.

So I need to get new tires for the CSX. Was there anything that determined what cars got the wider tires? My rims are 6.5" and the tires on the car currently are 225's. Any suggestions on tires? The motor is going to be stock for now and I don't plan on any huge power upgrades. Mostly I want something that will last more than 4 years without cracking and falling apart. The car will only be driven once in a while to shows or for a cruise.

turbo addict

So I need to get new tires for the CSX. Was there anything that determined what cars got the wider tires? My rims are 6.5" and the tires on the car currently are 225's. Any suggestions on tires? The motor is going to be stock for now and I don't plan on any huge power upgrades. Mostly I want something that will last more than 4 years without cracking and falling apart. The car will only be driven once in a while to shows or for a cruise.
    225s were the wide tire option unfortunately it is getting harder to find many options for 15" tires

turbo addict