-Chris H
    1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #91 E85 Powered
    2012 Dodge Charger SRT8

Shelby Dodge Auto Club National Member

SDAC Great Lakes Chapter & SDAC Ontario Chapter Member

Garrett booster

Re: The Shelby CSX-VNT Owner's Thread

Quote Originally Posted by PentastarBooster View Post
    Does anybody know the Shelby Number of this 1989 CSX? The license plate # is Ohio FIM 8755, and the picture was taken July 12th or 13th in Dublin, Ohio at the Arthritis Foundation Car Show:

yes that's mine #212 jans6pkrt where you at the Dublin show in July?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I still need to finish the tint on the car and I really need to get some wheels and tires for this year too. I want some nice light wheels that will go over the R/T brakes and also come in gold. Seems like a fairly tall order.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    ended up painting the engine bay on my csx , started cleaning it last week when i took the engine out but too much paint was missing and alot more came off when washing it

In the above pictures I noticed the car has one horn. I've been cleaning up my engine bay and rewrapping the wiring and my car has two horns, Anyone else have this or was this added by a previous owner? They are different makes so I'm guessing one of them was added

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor CNH320's Avatar

Took a look and found only one horn on mine in same spot shown above.
    -Chris H
    1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #91 E85 Powered
    2012 Dodge Charger SRT8

Shelby Dodge Auto Club National Member

SDAC Great Lakes Chapter & SDAC Ontario Chapter Member

Hybrid booster

made some progress
    \

Looking good. That's a lot of progress since there was no engine in there last time. Keep up the good work.

Hybrid booster

thanks cant wait to get it running again all it needs now is fuel/ vac lines and intercooler piping

Wow, that's a pretty short list. The body will be coming along pretty quickly if you keep moving at this pace.

Hybrid booster

i'll probably be putting off haveing the body painted for a while, the match on the engine bay paint wasn't as close to original color as i would have liked so i checked into a different paint supplier and the good paint and clear costs around 700$
    current plan is to drive this summer and have the paint done next winter while making some other upgrades, the car is is sealed with epoxy primer so weather wont hurt anything

That is pretty sweet. It'll be a head turner every where it goes. Think of the performance vs. paint look that you'll be putting out. Will this beast be making an appearance at SDAC this year? Have I already asked that? Either way it'll be awesome. I'll say that it's a bummer about the paint cost though. Lordy, $700 for supplies alone is hard for this ultra cheap skate to swallow. Of course, that's not too bad when you think about the price of admission for a paint job that will last you quite a long time.

Hybrid booster

really would like to go to sdac, not sure if i can afford it this year though unless its nearby
    the thing is i can get the same paint as the engine bay for around $200 for the base coat $150 for the clear but i really want it to be right and have the door jams match since they are original paint still and in good shape

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I still need to finish the tint on the car and I really need to get some wheels and tires for this year too. I want some nice light wheels that will go over the R/T brakes and also come in gold. Seems like a fairly tall order.

Not tough at all, gotta be many Subie owners selling forged rims. THe Volk 37's( IIRRC that their designation or something close to it) come in gold.

Nice work Benji, VNT project plus the shop being built, you've got some irons in the fire

Looking good Fox

I thought I had found a paint/restoration shop in Mexico owned by a local guy but he said his line up is so long that he is only 'doing cars that he is into' and my VNT didn't make the cut

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

So you know how your average just clean it up and get it ready for SDAC early project snowballs into now the whole front end is off the car, yeah that's where I'm at now. So for those of you that have removed the grill from your CSX, is the header pannel all modified to install the grill? I have the front off my car and the header that is behind the grill and goes out to the headlights and also under the grill is modified with some slots cut in it with a cutoff wheel. Looking at my car it looks like it's been in a light front end collision because the front fenders have been painted in a single stage paint and the bumper cover/Ground effects don't fit the greatest. I don't see any other damage other than a slight wrinkle in the pannel behind the bumper that I already straightened out with a hammer and dolly. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go along putting it back together but we'll start here.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor CSX321's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bfarroo View Post
    ...is the header pannel all modified to install the grill? I have the front off my car and the header that is behind the grill and goes out to the headlights and also under the grill is modified with some slots cut in it with a cutoff wheel.
    Yep, I think that's normal. Seems to be the way they did it at Shelby.

Ok, I was hoping so and that it wasn't a jacked up repair. The header panel has a crack in it so I'm going to have to fiberglass that up this week also. I cleaned up the motor that's going in and put a coat of gloss black paint on it. I have a bunch of the miscellaneous parts off and sand blasted ready for primer and paint. I'm going to touch up the engine bay and get the engine and trans back in. Then maybe paint the front fenders, grill, header, and side ground effects. That should get it looking good enough until the full resto starts. I want to clean up the valve cover without repainting it. Any ideas or suggestions to get the gloss back in without repainting? I was thinking of giving it a light dusting of black paint and sanding the letters and fins back off.

I need new motor mounts for the CSX all around, the car won't see much for track duty, mostly car shows and weekend cruises. Maybe an autocross here or there. What are you guys running? I'm thinking of just replacing with stock parts auto store pieces but will go with poly if most find them acceptable for daily use. The cost difference is quite a bit where I can get the stock mounts on Rockauto for $10 plus shipping where the poly mounts are going to be 165 plus shipping. Let me know what you guys think.

turbo addict

Replace the front mount with poly and leave the sides regular. And I would do a poly bobble strut or solid.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If it'll see occasional track time and you don't mind changing out the mounts semi regularly I would go with the parts store jobs because they can be had for dirt cheap. That said, I run Poly mounts at all points in all of my cars.

Yeah I have the poly mounts all around in the daytona with a solid strut preloading the engine and don't find it all that bad. Maybe what I'll plan is to get the parts store ones now to get by and when the full restoration gets underway I can make the decision then. Although I guess I could look at it that the money I spend now on the parts store pieces could be put toward the poly mounts. Decisions decisions.