Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1986 Laser XT Resto - Winnipeg, MB

Garrett booster

1986 Laser XT Resto - Winnipeg, MB

So it begins. I'm a Mopar guy through and through, A-bodies in particular. However, I've loved this car since I bought it, and it is time to get it on the road. I was referred here by Tony Fields and 1966 DartWagon from the A-body site I frequent. After all, G-bodies don't get any respect there. After spending a couple of days here, and PMing a couple of members, I would like to share my restoration/refreshing with you all.

I purchased by XT in 1990 while residing in British Columbia, Canada. I had been searching for this particular model after seeing a two-page ad for it in a copy of Car & Driver.

The car as delivered was in the standard Flash Red, with the "pizza" rims, 2.2l Turbo I, 5 speed, T-tops, and Mark Cross leather interior. It had been repainted on the driver side due to a slight hit on the fender, but was straight and overall very clean.

I enjoyed driving the car for the next three years, and bumped the kilometreage from around 70,000km to just shy of 120,000. During that time, I replaced the timing belt, water pump, clutch cable, and differential gears.

I also had to weld the front rad cradle where it meets the front framerail as it cracked when my front mount disintegrated and stressed the joint. Sometime after this, the d/s rear fender bolt snapped, which I found out when I opened the door from the inside crumpling the fender .

I drove the car back to Winnipeg when I moved back in 1993, put it on the road for the summer of 95, and after a month of driving I sheared the d/s inner CV joint.

I decided there and then that it would not be put on the road until the fender was replaced, and the mismatched paint was redone. I started removing the body panels and trim, and started sanding the body down to get to original paint/metal.

Well, a lot happened. I got married, had a beautiful daughter, and bought an old school to reside in (can you say renos?). I parked her in a garage on my property, sprayed some zinc over any exposed steel, and put her away for a future day.

Fifteen years later, this year lol, I got the go ahead to get her back on the road as a summer driver. Hey, every middle-aged guy needs a red "convertible" (so I told my wife). I proceeded to pull the drivetrain, pulled and cleaned/checked/rewrapped the wiring harness, then threw on my wife's PT snow tires and loaded her up on the flatdeck for the paint. They are going to remove the K-member and blast/paint it, replace the lower control arm bushings and detail the rack. Hopefully, I will have the engine refreshed in a timely manner, and detail it, drop it in and get the engine bay back together. Then it will be back to the paint shop for exterior paint and re-assembly of the body.

Plan is to go back stock. I know, I know.. my brother is hopping his TSi right now, but I just want it back to showroom new. For now ;P

As soon as I figure out how, I'll post or link some pics.

Grant

Garrett booster

Re: 1986 Laser XT Resto - Winnipeg, MB

Quote Originally Posted by OneOfMany View Post
    So it begins. I'm a Mopar guy through and through, A-bodies in particular. However, I've loved this car since I bought it, and it is time to get it on the road. I was referred here by Tony Fields and 1966 DartWagon from the A-body site I frequent. After all, G-bodies don't get any respect there. After spending a couple of days here, and PMing a couple of members, I would like to share my restoration/refreshing with you all.

I purchased by XT in 1990 while residing in British Columbia, Canada. I had been searching for this particular model after seeing a two-page ad for it in a copy of Car & Driver.

The car as delivered was in the standard Flash Red, with the "pizza" rims, 2.2l Turbo I, 5 speed, T-tops, and Mark Cross leather interior. It had been repainted on the driver side due to a slight hit on the fender, but was straight and overall very clean.

I enjoyed driving the car for the next three years, and bumped the kilometreage from around 70,000km to just shy of 120,000. During that time, I replaced the timing belt, water pump, clutch cable, and differential gears.

I also had to weld the front rad cradle where it meets the front framerail as it cracked when my front mount disintegrated and stressed the joint. Sometime after this, the d/s rear fender bolt snapped, which I found out when I opened the door from the inside crumpling the fender .

I drove the car back to Winnipeg when I moved back in 1993, put it on the road for the summer of 95, and after a month of driving I sheared the d/s inner CV joint.

I decided there and then that it would not be put on the road until the fender was replaced, and the mismatched paint was redone. I started removing the body panels and trim, and started sanding the body down to get to original paint/metal.

Well, a lot happened. I got married, had a beautiful daughter, and bought an old school to reside in (can you say renos?). I parked her in a garage on my property, sprayed some zinc over any exposed steel, and put her away for a future day.

Fifteen years later, this year lol, I got the go ahead to get her back on the road as a summer driver. Hey, every middle-aged guy needs a red "convertible" (so I told my wife). I proceeded to pull the drivetrain, pulled and cleaned/checked/rewrapped the wiring harness, then threw on my wife's PT snow tires and loaded her up on the flatdeck for the paint. They are going to remove the K-member and blast/paint it, replace the lower control arm bushings and detail the rack. Hopefully, I will have the engine refreshed in a timely manner, and detail it, drop it in and get the engine bay back together. Then it will be back to the paint shop for exterior paint and re-assembly of the body.

Plan is to go back stock. I know, I know.. my brother is hopping his TSi right now, but I just want it back to showroom new. For now ;P

As soon as I figure out how, I'll post or link some pics.

Grant
    This sounds great Grant I for sure look forward to seeing this baby. My first car was a 1984 Laser, Wish i had some pics to share.

I cant wait to see yours!

Hybrid booster

Do you live just off of main Street? I know there was a red t-top xt sitting for many years over there... (kinda near Leila)

Garrett booster

no not me, never seen that xt around I know of one by the gas station on mcphilips and selkirk

boostaholic

Welcome to TM, I too have a Laser XT. Not much of it is original. It's been my DD for almost 15 yrs. Plans are being buried in it after I kick the bucket.

Hybrid booster

Another Winnipeger! I was born and raised there, family is all still there so we visit often. I'm in Saskatoon now. I't nice having the drag strip only 15 minutes away.

What part of Wpg is you school/house?

Nice to see another old tm being restored.

Martin
    89 horizon

Garrett booster

Thanks for the welcome. No, that car is not mine, however I just met a fellow this spring from the A-body forum that I frequent, and after I posted about redoing my XT, he phones me to tell me has had one since new! Same as mine. And yes, that is where he lives. Small world or what?

Grant

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Welcome to T-M!

We got all the G-Body love here!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

Thanks for the welcome. No, that car is not mine, however I just met a fellow this spring from the A-body forum that I frequent, and after I posted about redoing my XT, he phones me to tell me has had one since new! Same as mine. And yes, that is where he lives. Small world or what?

Grant
    Haha indeed it is, I really have to get a gbody again I miss my Turbo Z... I remember about 4-5 years back looking at a nice red xt in bird's hill for sale should have picked it up, but I had too many cars back then.

I am heading out to my parents house tonight I'll see if I have any gbody stuff left that you can have for free. Too bad you weren't around a few years ago I used to have ALOT of first gen stuff I ended up throwing away.

Wow sounds like a great story. I bought my laser 2 years ago (2.2 auto, xt, t-tops, leather, and red). I still havent gotten it running but eh it will be fun when I do. Good luck!

turbo addict

i love xt"s my first car was a flash red 86 lazer xt! power everything, cloth int. t-tops but it was an automatic car.... good luck with the build post a lot of pics not many people doing lazers
    HOOSIER SDAC vice pres. 1993 IROC R/T 1 of 90 emerald green 1985 DC SHELBY CHARGER 1985 DC TURBO Z DAYTONA

Hybrid booster

Nice to see another local TM owner! Welcome to the boards! I shall look forward to seeing your vehicle in person

Garrett booster

OK. Searched around and figured out how to post attachments . I'm in.

Here she is after 15 years of hibernation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0216.JPG 
Views:	153 
Size:	216.5 KB 
ID:	21938

Gotta love the paw prints

Name:	IMG_0217.JPG 
Views:	186 
Size:	258.2 KB 
ID:	21939

Name:	IMG_0218.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	223.0 KB 
ID:	21940

Engine bay has already seen a little disassembly

Name:	IMG_0219.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	273.9 KB 
ID:	21941

Engine and trans are finally separated from the body, and working their way out

Name:	IMG_0318.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	295.8 KB 
ID:	21942

Garrett booster

First time she's seen the sun in a while. I think she thought I forgot about her.

Name:	IMG_0986.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	358.1 KB 
ID:	21944

Name:	IMG_1001.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	348.4 KB 
ID:	21945

Name:	IMG_1002.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	323.4 KB 
ID:	21946

Garrett booster

Took some pics of the body. Still solid so I'm happy!!

Name:	IMG_1005.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	238.0 KB 
ID:	21947

Name:	IMG_1007.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	212.9 KB 
ID:	21948

Name:	IMG_1008.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	191.6 KB 
ID:	21949

Name:	IMG_1019.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	21950

Name:	IMG_1021.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	230.2 KB 
ID:	21951

Name:	IMG_1026.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	268.8 KB 
ID:	21952

Garrett booster

We both waved goodbye to each other

Name:	IMG_1041.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	300.6 KB 
ID:	21953

And with a smile on both our faces, we loaded her up, and sent her out.

Name:	IMG_1043.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	308.5 KB 
ID:	21954

Grant

turbo addict

i bet there are soooo many daytonas stashed away.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by raccoon View Post
    i bet there are soooo many daytonas stashed away.
    Not that many.

by the way great pics I cant wait to see her done and driving.

turbo addict

keep the pics comin!!!
    HOOSIER SDAC vice pres. 1993 IROC R/T 1 of 90 emerald green 1985 DC SHELBY CHARGER 1985 DC TURBO Z DAYTONA

Garrett booster

Thanks for the kind words guys! Spent a couple of hours on the phone with Rob (shadow) on Saturday and he's gonna go through my drivetrain and get her running sweet. I know deep down he's wanting to make a sub-12sec car for me, but I'm just interested in a sweet cruiser . Gonna make the out of town trek to drop it off tomorrow, and just finished loading the motor and trans into the old truck - actually Caravan. Will have to take some pics of it for the "before" shots in the AM.

Grant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast