Page 7 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shelby CSX-VNT Owner's Thread

Hybrid booster

Re: The Shelby CSX-VNT Owner's Thread

ATM still planning to hang on to #009. I need to call Kaminari to see about ordering a front airdam and then figuring out the best way to attach it. Probably won't do much else besides gathering the few parts I need for a while. Have to get rid of some other projects first to free up some space and cash.

Scott

Do let us know how you decide to mount that front air dam. I have spoken to Johnny at Polybushings and I plan on ordering a dozen or so of the mounting bolts he used on the rear air dams so I can attach them to the front one and mount it using the factory holes. Probably have to fiberglass them into place, but it's 10x better than doing some stupid 3m tape job or some spray adhesive.

I was going to ask you if Dave had came and picked that car up yet or not. We're stll waiting for more pics from you once it gets out of the garage hahaha

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by DC Turismo View Post
    Scott

Do let us know how you decide to mount that front air dam. I have spoken to Johnny at Polybushings and I plan on ordering a dozen or so of the mounting bolts he used on the rear air dams so I can attach them to the front one and mount it using the factory holes. Probably have to fiberglass them into place, but it's 10x better than doing some stupid 3m tape job or some spray adhesive.

I was going to ask you if Dave had came and picked that car up yet or not. We're stll waiting for more pics from you once it gets out of the garage hahaha
    Yeah. I'm thinking fiberglass or some kind of aircraft type epoxy for the air dam studs.

I got to thinking about the '89 CSX and decided I just wasn't ready to sell it yet. Think I'll try to sell off some other stuff first, just WAY too many projects. I did give Dave first dibs if I change my mind though.

May be a while before any fresh pics show up. I have a seriously long list of stuff to do, and the '89 CSX is near the end of the list ATM. At least the car is stored inside under a cover so it won't deteriorate if it takes a long nap.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by DC Turismo View Post
    Scott

Probably have to fiberglass them into place, but it's 10x better than doing some stupid 3m tape job or some spray adhesive.
    Hey, I resemble that remark.

I used RTV on the back side of the airdam and then bolted the edges where it attaches in the wheel well. I havent driven it much since, but it seems like its gonna be good to go. Just a little FYI in case you were considering the butcher method. I dont see how anyone could tell the difference once its in place and if its secure, then who cares? No?

turbo addict

I told Billy that we should drill some large holes and use about four or so 9/16 in. bolts w/washers to hold it in place. He won't go for it though? Says that wouldn't look good

I've also said how I plan on beating the living h*ll out of the car once we get it restored and how I want him to video tape me doing big, smokey burnouts up and down the street.....he thinks that's a bad idea too

Quote Originally Posted by 85shelbycharger View Post
    I told Billy that we should drill some large holes and use about four or so 9/16 in. bolts w/washers to hold it in place. He won't go for it though?
    lol...

I've also said how I plan on beating the living h*ll out of the car once we get it restored and how I want him to video tape me doing big, smokey burnouts up and down the street.....he thinks that's a bad idea too

You would enjoy that too much haha No burning rubber is going on in this car!

Hybrid booster

Billy... c'mon now. Anyone who's driven an '89 CSX or any other VNT car for that matter knows that if you step on it in 1st gear you're gonna roast the tires most likely through the end of 2nd too. The temptation will overcome LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritedShelbys View Post
    Billy... c'mon now. Anyone who's driven an '89 CSX or any other VNT car for that matter knows that if you step on it in 1st gear you're gonna roast the tires most likely through the end of 2nd too. The temptation will overcome LOL.

I know I know... I'm going to baby it as much as I can thought until I get addicted to the boost sensation

Hybrid booster

It takes less than 2.2 seconds LOL

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritedShelbys View Post
    It takes less than 2.2 seconds LOL

I just realized today how much easier of a project the CSX is going to be to restore than an L-body. I can't wait to begin! But too bad a couple projects are still ahead of it before I get to

Hybrid booster

Well that's totally conditional man. If your car did not have the GFX, ripped up or irreparably stained interior with bad weather stripping, no way it's easier than an L-body. I see good/NOS L-body parts for sale far more often than I do the p-body (CSX) stuff. Honestly after mine I don't plan to do another SD, after all I still have a '58 making extremely slow progress. I'd like to restore my S-Lancer to the degree of my CSX but that's just not going to happen. Top it off with my old CSX-T that I just bought back from a kid that blew it up after I saved it from the crushers 8 years ago, no way. I'll be making some decisions soon on those. It's tough to let go.

Oh parts wise, these are way more difficult to find parts for than the L-bodies. But in terms of sanding, you don't have the sail panel grooves, the holes at the back of the hood, the gutters running along the roof, and overall the stupid tiny spots that are tedious to deal with when repainting. I too think this car will be the only SD I restore unless I get a Shelby Lancer down the road, as I would like to have one of those at some point since it was the only other red SD car not counting the Dakotas since they were trucks. The next project I do is going to be a nice turbo buildup to put into something, maybe a Shelby Charger, maybe a Shadow or Omni, something that I will be comfortable with changing the color of and modifying, whereas with an SD I'm going as close to factory as possible.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor CSX321's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 85shelbycharger View Post
    I told Billy that we should drill some large holes and use about four or so 9/16 in. bolts w/washers to hold it in place. He won't go for it though? Says that wouldn't look good
    Unfortunately, that's exactly how the rear cover is held on my '87. A previous owner did it. They didn't even space them evenly!

Quote Originally Posted by CSX321 View Post
    Unfortunately, that's exactly how the rear cover is held on my '87. A previous owner did it. They didn't even space them evenly!

The 87's had rear air dams? I thought the back bumper was just painted two tone?

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor CSX321's Avatar

The silver part is a separate piece, but I'm not sure if it is different from a standard Shadow ES.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CSX321 View Post
    The silver part is a separate piece, but I'm not sure if it is different from a standard Shadow ES.
    The rear part is the same on the 87-88's but is still unique to the CSX's. I've got one car that has some nice sheet metal screws holding it on.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

I never knew that. Good to know now though!

I am looking to get a csx soon. Since my dad sold our red one that was hit very hard I have been looking for one.

Mitsu booster

just a quick update on the progress of #226. Finally had time to get a brand new vnt unit installed. Changed the oil in the engine and transmission, and replaced a torn cv boot while i was at it. The car starts right up and idles fine. The old vnt turbo was destroyed so there is essentially oil everywhere. The car smokes like crazy from the tailpipe and even a little under the hood. I'm way pressed for time so I hope to be able to start it every week or so and get all the oil in the exhaust burnt out. I drove the car down the block and i was able to hear the turbo spool (it was actually pretty loud for a stock car). Didn't really get to feel the boost as i was missing a clamp on the intercooler hose, so i assume that most of it was leaking out.

Also, I may be going back to school again, so the car may be for sale shortly. If anyone is interested in a clean california car with recaro seats and a brand new turbo, let me know. I'm not really even sure what these cars are going for right now

Mitsu booster

oh yeah. a couple pics for this thread

Page 7 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast